Starting 28 August, join me!

francsois

Hi everyone, hope the weekend is going well.  Just wanted to ask what you're snacking on?  I have been eating lots of green grapes and raw almonds, some pistachios.  I am looking for suggestions of other good snacks.  Thanks

Walt

From your earlier post, at first I ate the same thing each day, but then started prepping all my food when I wanted to snack out of boredom.

If I do snack, which I try not to, I have had cashews in a bowl of fruit with coconut chips, or raw veggies using the oil and vinegar dressing as the dip.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is perhaps not too early to start thinking exactly how I am going to handle food choices after the Whole30. I read the chapter on this topic in the book It Starts with Food, but I am afraid it was vague and unhelpful. Nothing was clear cut except:

1. Don't take a cheat day
  2. Don't do the 80/20 rule

The authors say to use intuition to guide you, and we can all draw the line where we want between when and when not to eat “badlyâ€. This is poor advice. This rule of thumb does not tell you how much “bad†food you can eat and be healthy. To limit my poorer/off-road/bad/unhealthy food to special occasions (as the authors suggest, sort of) seems to me that I have to say goodbye to yummy food altogether. What is a hard-and-fast rule of thumb for how frequently it is healthy to go off the beaten track? What does the science say? Please don't tell me things like “it is up to youâ€, or “you know your own body†or bullshit like that. What are you guys going to do once you are finished?

Cheers

Francsois

I think I'm just going to do it when I'm in social settings that don't have much of a choice. Or if me and the hubby have a relaxing night, I'll have some adult beverages and eat a healthy snack beforehand, so when we order out or make something together, that I'm not that hungry and don't overeat. I'm not going to be as strict as the Whole30, but I am going to try to stick to it as much as possible.

It is perhaps not too early to start thinking exactly how I am going to handle food choices after the Whole30. I read the chapter on this topic in the book It Starts with Food, but I am afraid it was vague and unhelpful. Nothing was clear cut except:

The authors say to use intuition to guide you, and we can all draw the line where we want between when and when not to eat “badlyâ€. This is poor advice. This rule of thumb does not tell you how much “bad†food you can eat and be healthy. To limit my poorer/off-road/bad/unhealthy food to special occasions (as the authors suggest, sort of) seems to me that I have to say goodbye to yummy food altogether. What is a hard-and-fast rule of thumb for how frequently it is healthy to go off the beaten track? What does the science say? Please don't tell me things like “it is up to youâ€, or “you know your own body†or bullshit like that. What are you guys going to do once you are finished?

Cheers

Francsois

I haven't read the book yet - ordered it and it should be arriving today.

I have to agree with you though. Maybe I'm the type of person who needs hard numbers and strict rules to follow in order to be compliant, but in the past I've obviously sucked at "listening to my body". Heck, if I'd listened to my body at all, I wouldn't have injured knees and I probably wouldn't be doing this program right now because I would feel great.

I've been thinking about life after the Whole30, mainly because we're going on vacation to Lisbon, Portugal at the end of October and I'm already worried about reintroducing foods that will instantly make me feel like crap. If we were just going somewhere in the US I'd be fine with options, but I'm worried about trying to communicate, "I can't eat wheat or dairy" in an unfamiliar language. Unfortunately for me, the tiniest bit of either would mean a vacation spent touring Lisbon bathrooms...so I'm going to do my best, though I'll probably eat grains there.

I may be a little OCD, but I'm already thinking about snacks I can take with me to have on hand for airports, long flights and during the week we'll be there. My husband thinks I'm crazy and keeps saying, "I'm sure they will have grocery stores," which is true, but I'd rather be overly prepared than spend the entire vacation feeling like crap.

Also, that glass of wine is definitely going to be reintroduced after the 30 days is up! Everything in moderation, right? (sort of?)

Walt, I have basically the same breakfast every morning and so far I haven't gotten bored of it. I do switch up lunch and dinner though, which helps.

Hi everyone, hope the weekend is going well. Just wanted to ask what you're snacking on? I have been eating lots of green grapes and raw almonds, some pistachios. I am looking for suggestions of other good snacks. Thanks

Walt

If you're snacking because you're hungry, you need to increase your portion sizes at meals (protein and fat). If you aren't actually hungry - stop!

If you are actually hungry between meals, you should choose a mini meal of protein/fat/vegies over fruit and nuts.

HB eggs, tinned fish in oil, chicken drumsticks, compliant deli meat with some vegie sticks is transportable or easy to have handy. Just add some fat to the meals without - mayo or guacamole for dipping, a few nuts etc.

Great job, pepper.  Each time you resist temptation, you get stronger, and make it easier for the next time.

Anyone else following my strategy of eating the same food almost day?  Good thing I am not bored but I have ham and eggs for breakfast, salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and only with dinner do I get any variety:  meat, salad, veggies.  Probably the result of my not planning ahead....

hi Walt

I follow the same approach by eating the same stuff everyday. I dislike cooking. I eat eggs for breakfast (like you), salad and tinned fish for lunch, and a "stew" I make by chucking all leftovers into a pot! I might get sick of it after a while though. I intend to try a recipe a week once I am finished with the Whole30.

Cheers

F.

Hi everyone, hope the weekend is going well.  Just wanted to ask what you're snacking on?  I have been eating lots of green grapes and raw almonds, some pistachios.  I am looking for suggestions of other good snacks.  Thanks

Walt

I go for beef jerky (grass fed) that i buy online, and nuts. I snack, I kno we are not supposed to. I have now started eating my  snack right after my main meals, so it is technically not snacking anymore!

Cheers

Francsois

I haven't read the book yet - ordered it and it should be arriving today.

I have to agree with you though. Maybe I'm the type of person who needs hard numbers and strict rules to follow in order to be compliant, but in the past I've obviously sucked at "listening to my body". Heck, if I'd listened to my body at all, I wouldn't have injured knees and I probably wouldn't be doing this program right now because I would feel great.

I've been thinking about life after the Whole30, mainly because we're going on vacation to Lisbon, Portugal at the end of October and I'm already worried about reintroducing foods that will instantly make me feel like crap. If we were just going somewhere in the US I'd be fine with options, but I'm worried about trying to communicate, "I can't eat wheat or dairy" in an unfamiliar language. Unfortunately for me, the tiniest bit of either would mean a vacation spent touring Lisbon bathrooms...so I'm going to do my best, though I'll probably eat grains there.

I may be a little OCD, but I'm already thinking about snacks I can take with me to have on hand for airports, long flights and during the week we'll be there. My husband thinks I'm crazy and keeps saying, "I'm sure they will have grocery stores," which is true, but I'd rather be overly prepared than spend the entire vacation feeling like crap.

Also, that glass of wine is definitely going to be reintroduced after the 30 days is up! Everything in moderation, right? (sort of?)

Walt, I have basically the same breakfast every morning and so far I haven't gotten bored of it. I do switch up lunch and dinner though, which helps.

Hi Pepper

Portugal, that sounds like fun! I am sure they will have grocery shops there. yes, get the "it starts with food", a very good book.  I think i will draw the line on havng a "off road" meal once a week, with a glass or two of the ood stuff. On holidays etc. I will stretchh it a bit. That is my take on the advice from "It Starts with Food".

Cheers

F.

I think I'm just going to do it when I'm in social settings that don't have much of a choice. Or if me and the hubby have a relaxing night, I'll have some adult beverages and eat a healthy snack beforehand, so when we order out or make something together, that I'm not that hungry and don't overeat. I'm not going to be as strict as the Whole30, but I am going to try to stick to it as much as possible.

Hi Ashley

Your plan sounds reasonable from my point of view. I might do something similar. Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

Francsois

Hi All

What kind of exercise are you doing? I did Crossfit for two months, then moved to a small rural town. No Crossfit here. I train haphazardly, with some Crossfit stuff thrown in. I do not do any of the barbell-lifty stuff clean-and-jerk type moves, not confident enough (technique issues). Any recommendations for a person  that trains by himself. Books, DVD's websites etc.?

Cheers

Francsois

I weight train 4 days a week and do 30 min of cardio 6 times a week.

Walt

I seldom snack because I'm hardly ever hungry. Occasionally I'll have about 6 pistachio nuts.

Breakfast: fried egg (in coconut oil), fresh guacamole with ground turkey, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt mixed in, sauteed zucchini and peppers, and a butternut squash mash with coconut flakes, and an apple

Lunch: ground turkey with 1/2 a tomato, salt pepper, and hot sauce, and a kiwi, orange, and banana salad with almonds

Dinner: steak, 1/2 sweet potato, romaine salad with green peppers, radishes, cucumber, and a walnut oil and raspberry blush vinegar dressing

Went to my grandparents house for dinner... my grandpa is the one doing the Whole30 with me, so it worked out great! And it was the first time him and my grandma tried sweet potatoes! My grandma said it was okay, but my grandpa loved it!

And I did 60 minutes of squats, lunges, leg lifts, and 20 minutes of abs... with P90X, Insanity, and Brazil Butt Lift. And went for an hour long walk with my girls. I think my bum is going to be sore tomorrow!

Breakfast: ground turkey with steamed spinach and peppers, and a Monkey salad (coconut chips, banana, cashews)

Lunch: pan seared fish and zucchini, cashews, and mashed squash with pepper, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Dinner: steamed broccoli, cabbage, carrots with ground hamburger on top drizzled with olive oil and vinegar, steamed broccoli heads, and mashed sweet potatoes, cashews, 1/2 clementine orange

I wish I could share pics through this forum! Because I have pics of all of them! They were all delicious!!! 

Cheers to tomorrow, Day 11!!

Sounds delicious.

I made whipped sweet potatoes in my food processor today and they were so delicious. I baked two sp then scooped the flesh out while they were still hot. I put them in the processor and added a few spoonfuls of ghee, two tablespoons of coconut cream, some cinnamon, two dates, and a little nutmeg. It was heavenly! I only eat yams about once a week, and i usually only bake one potato and split it in half to share with my husband. Five of us devoured these two yams today and i will definitely make them this way again.

Cheers

Francsois

Health isn't something you have or don't have.  Its kind of a spectrum.  What you do and how you do it deepens on how healthy you want to be.  My personal goals are more cosmetic; I want to be thin and energetic.  Being already young and healthy my restrictions and discipline doesn't have to be nearly as strict as someone with real health problems. My plans after the Whole30 is going to be for everyday life I will be compliant, but for parties or outings I will splurge.  Real parties, not "Its Saturday" or "I don't have to wake up early tomorrow" or "My life sucks and nothing is every going to be better ever again"  I think that's where people really get off track. When everyday becomes a reason to cheat that's where things get hinky. 

Walt- I absolutely cannot eat the same thing everyday.  When I cook its one serving two tops, then I find something new to cook. Snacks vary depending on if I can sit down and eat or if I'm on the run. I have made Baba Ganoush (Eggplant dip) with veggies, deviled eggs, nuts, apples or celery with almond butter, veggie chips(kale, brussel sprouts, sweet potato), also any fruits or veggies that are on sale that week (because I'm cheap  :) )

I think the thing I like the most about being on the Whole30 is that my brain is challenged to expand how and what I eat.  I get way more creative about food when I am being compliant. 

Ashley have you had any success with mayo? The secret is using an emulsion blender. My luck was only about 50% without one.....

I think the thing I like the most about being on the Whole30 is that my brain is challenged to expand how and what I eat.  I get way more creative about food when I am being compliant. 

Ashley have you had any success with mayo? The secret is using an emulsion blender. My luck was only about 50% without one.....

Same reason why I love the Whole30! You get creative with your foods, and try to figure a way to make something you used to eat healthy. I haven't tried the mayo again yet. I only have one type of blender, and I have to do the stop-and-go process. But I do plan on trying it again! 

Same reason why I love the Whole30! You get creative with your foods, and try to figure a way to make something you used to eat healthy. I haven't tried the mayo again yet. I only have one type of blender, and I have to do the stop-and-go process. But I do plan on trying it again! 

I would consider investing in the emulsion blender.  I don't have a normal one and use this one all the time. They aren't terribly expensive.  I eat a lot of soups which I use it for and its a lot easier to use when mashing veggies like cauliflower or sweet potatoes. 

I definitely will have to invest Deb. I know it'll be worth it!

I would consider investing in the emulsion blender.  I don't have a normal one and use this one all the time. They aren't terribly expensive.  I eat a lot of soups which I use it for and its a lot easier to use when mashing veggies like cauliflower or sweet potatoes. 

Day 13 check in! 

Thinking of grilling eggplant for dinner tonight... any suggestions?

How is everyone else doing so far?

I've noticed I'm starting to have that "boundless energy" the Whole30 speaks of. Never been a morning person, but I seem to be waking up around 630 am, or earlier, and I'm able to go until 1030 pm. No sluggishness or wanting a nap. My neck pain is getting better. Not 100% but definitely better. And I'm generally just happier! 

Cheers

Francsois

At this stage I think I will stick to one "off road' meal per week with my partner, and then on special occasions. I will try and not have a blowout on the carbohydrates at that time. Will try and limit my booze intake to two drinks with that meal. Rest of the time paleo, but I will add a bit of honey so that it does not suck too much. What are you guys going to do when your Whole30 is finished?

Cheers

Francsois

Breakfast: fried egg (in coconut oil), fresh guacamole with ground turkey, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt mixed in, sauteed zucchini and peppers, and a butternut squash mash with coconut flakes, and an apple

Lunch: ground turkey with 1/2 a tomato, salt pepper, and hot sauce, and a kiwi, orange, and banana salad with almonds

Dinner: steak, 1/2 sweet potato, romaine salad with green peppers, radishes, cucumber, and a walnut oil and raspberry blush vinegar dressing

Went to my grandparents house for dinner... my grandpa is the one doing the Whole30 with me, so it worked out great! And it was the first time him and my grandma tried sweet potatoes! My grandma said it was okay, but my grandpa loved it!

And I did 60 minutes of squats, lunges, leg lifts, and 20 minutes of abs... with P90X, Insanity, and Brazil Butt Lift. And went for an hour long walk with my girls. I think my bum is going to be sore tomorrow!

Wow Ashley, you workout sounds intense! I fi had to do it, I would end up in the emergency department. After a few such sessions you must have a spectacular bum, well done!

Cheers

Francsois

Health isn't something you have or don't have.  Its kind of a spectrum.  What you do and how you do it deepens on how healthy you want to be.  My personal goals are more cosmetic; I want to be thin and energetic.  Being already young and healthy my restrictions and discipline doesn't have to be nearly as strict as someone with real health problems. My plans after the Whole30 is going to be for everyday life I will be compliant, but for parties or outings I will splurge.  Real parties, not "Its Saturday" or "I don't have to wake up early tomorrow" or "My life sucks and nothing is every going to be better ever again"  I think that's where people really get off track. When everyday becomes a reason to cheat that's where things get hinky. 

Walt- I absolutely cannot eat the same thing everyday.  When I cook its one serving two tops, then I find something new to cook. Snacks vary depending on if I can sit down and eat or if I'm on the run. I have made Baba Ganoush (Eggplant dip) with veggies, deviled eggs, nuts, apples or celery with almond butter, veggie chips(kale, brussel sprouts, sweet potato), also any fruits or veggies that are on sale that week (because I'm cheap  :) )

Thanks for your thoughts, makes sense whatyou said Deb!

Cheers

Francsois

Day 13 check in! 

Thinking of grilling eggplant for dinner tonight... any suggestions?

How is everyone else doing so far?

I've noticed I'm starting to have that "boundless energy" the Whole30 speaks of. Never been a morning person, but I seem to be waking up around 630 am, or earlier, and I'm able to go until 1030 pm. No sluggishness or wanting a nap. My neck pain is getting better. Not 100% but definitely better. And I'm generally just happier! 

I have not hit the "boundless energy" stage yet. But I noticed that if I get called out to a patient 3 AM I am less cranky about it. I am not as dead tired as I would be nornmally, I seem to recover my energy slightly better.

I try and get about 15 minutes of sunshine too, even makeing my wife and daughter get some.

I could not suggest an eggplant recipe, I have no clue. I eat the same slop every eveining, "stew". I do dislike cooking.

Cheers

Francsois

If you're snacking because you're hungry, you need to increase your portion sizes at meals (protein and fat). If you aren't actually hungry - stop!

If you are actually hungry between meals, you should choose a mini meal of protein/fat/vegies over fruit and nuts.

HB eggs, tinned fish in oil, chicken drumsticks, compliant deli meat with some vegie sticks is transportable or easy to have handy. Just add some fat to the meals without - mayo or guacamole for dipping, a few nuts etc.

Thanks for this advice.  I didn't realize I shouldn't be snacking.  I don't see adding to the existing meals, since I am just barely finish them as it is, but having a mini meal is a better option.  Thanks

Generally happier is good, Ashley!  Not at the boundless energy stage here, but definitely less fatigued than I used to be.  I used to be tired all the time, then it was a heroic effort to push myself through the day.  Now I am starting to feel more normal levels of energy.

We all get up early in this house, which helps because I have 3 children in 3 different schools and 3 different buses to catch each morning.  Lately we've been up even earlier, thanks to this little guy, Bolt, whom we adopted from a rescue.  He's a yellow lab/eskimo dog mix.  I have him on the pet version of whole 30. :Dpost-34864-0-08041000-1378691237_thumb.j

Oh man... today was bad. I didn't do anything non compliant, but I was soooo stressed out today because of certain things happening right now, And my stomach is all in knots and hyperventilation and just stuff. ugh... 

Tried to do yoga, but couldn't concentrate, and it didn't work. 

Anyways,

Breakfast: 1/2 sweet potato, ground turkey with peppers and hot sauce, and a raspberry, kiwi, and orange salad with almonds and coconut flakes, coffee with coconut milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato, fish with steamed broccoli and carrots with oil and vinegar dressing, grapes

Dinner: cashews and 2 Larabars 

Then I snacked... on another Larabar and almonds and a microwaved apricot and blackberries, with coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts

ugh... Thank God tomorrow is another day. I got barely any protein in, because I didn't feel like cooking any more meat. I even had a bunch of fish thawing tout to make for the week. 

Oh, I also went for an hour long walk with my girls.

Archived