Post Whole 30 Adventure

almcc

Here's to day 1!!

Last night I did not cook the sole. Ended up getting a bunless burger from a restaurant and fries. Ack. Bad idea. Felt horrible all night. The hot flashes were crazy.

Sole for dinner tonight. And I'm doing a big big grocery shop today - need kale. Badly.

Happy day 1.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to say, EandK, that coconut cream is keeping me sane right now. Out of the chocolate and away from the larabars. I look forward to the day when I don't want/need it - but I am not anywhere near there.

Today I am aiming for 3 compliant meals and no snacks.😀

I really can take or leave coconut butter :o Maybe cos i made it myself & it's like cement :lol:

Today's food..!

Breakfast - honey mustard chicken & kale

Lunch - shredded sweet potato, chicken, cashews, raisins & sesame oil. Lovely.

Snack - some vegetable crisps (chips?) & smoked snack sausage

Dinner - chocolate chilli, cauliflower rice & homemade mayo.

Feeling much better in the head this evening, though i was a wreck earlier. I'm _still_ sore from Friday's bootcamp - back, neck & i can't fully straighten my arms :rolleyes: - & i had to work this morning :( i did feel sorry for myself! I got a quick snooze in during the afternoon & felt a bit better. Onwards & upwards!

I will disclose now that i made a paleo carrot cake this afternoon - it hasn't been touched yet. Ingredients are carrots, almond butter, eggs, cinnamon, & cranberries (cos i only like raisins in a savoury setting :) ). I'm keeping a close eye on myself. Luckily OH remarked that it "smells lovely!" so perhaps he'll eat some. As long as i don't mention "gluten free", "paleo", "almond butter" or "carrots" :ph34r:

Better better better today :) My mood has lifted & i feel almost ready to haul myself back out of the sugar cycle. Phew!

Breakfast - minced lamb, kale & homemade ketchup

Lunch - chicken, shredded sweet potato, raisins, cashews & sesame oil. Couple of hunks of that carrot cake.

Snack - another lump of carrot cake & a handful of dried mango

Dinner - spiced pork, roast butternut squash & kale

I'm still congested & really tired... I think though, that my current n=1 experiment is nearly over - the cake was ok but not great, & it sat in my stomach like a lead weight (probably all the almond butter! :lol:). I know i can feel better than this! I wish i'd just take my word for it instead of keep having to prove it t myself :rolleyes:, but hey, I'll get there in the end!

Happy eating! :)

Boy oh boy the colds are hitting everywhere - that time of year - no fun at all!

Carrot cake sounds pretty darn good.  Thankfully I'm  stuffed from lunch so the idea of baking isn't likely to root into my head!

Congratulations Roz for getting closer to leaving the sugar cycle - it is an insidious cycle isn't it.

Almcc - Cheers to Day One!

Properly full of cold today. Feeling a bit annoyed with myself, I'm sure my recent off-roading has probably made it worse. Grr. On the plus side i've had zero chocolate cravings at all today :D

Breakfast - mince, spinach & blackberry balsamic dressing.

Lunch - curry cauliflower rice with chicken.

Snack - smoked sausage, dried mango & a few vegetable crisps.

Dinner - Lebanese beef (from Paleo Primer - tasty!), cocoa roasted cauliflower, carrots & sauerruben (like sauerkraut but made with turnips!)

Moods today have swung between mournful, sleepy, snarling rage & frenetic activity... Basically i've been being a bit of a bloke ;) Right now I'm on settled with a happy tummy. Hoping i sleep ok tonight & have more steady moods tomorrow :ph34r:

My gosh you make some tasty sounding things - Lebanese beef and cocoa roasted cauliflower!  This is why it would be nice to live in a community of Whole30 eaters - I'd get to sample and be inspired by others.  

Hope that cold eases up a bit.  It's a nasty one that seems to really get a hold of folks for quite a number of days.

Hi all

Roz- hope you are feeling better today!!

EandK - I keep hoping some oft local friend will startveatingbthis way so se can share recipes. I'm stuck in a rut.

The last 2 days have been interesting. So during this experiment I have been feeling guilty when I eat something that is non-compliant. Not a great way to live. We hosted a meet and greet (with wine and cheese and bread) Tuesday night. I ended up eating a ton of cheese and a little bread. First - I felt icky after. Second- I wasn't conscious while I was stuffing my face. But and this is the interesting part - I usually send my food log to a friend - who is a trainer (mine) and a nutritionist. When I told him what I had eaten he said "good. Good job in the middle!" So I have been thinking about that. I am usually at one extreme or other. During this off roading experiment - I have felt like a failure. I need to look at it as a success. Cause I'm practicing living in the middle. This is an interesting journey.

Yesterday went well. I woke up bloated and feeling icky. Probably the cheese and the bread. I ate compliant meals and I had 2 pieces of chocolate. This morning I feel a little better. Off to make BBQ ribs.

Happy eating!!

My gosh you make some tasty sounding things - Lebanese beef and cocoa roasted cauliflower! This is why it would be nice to live in a community of Whole30 eaters - I'd get to sample and be inspired by others.

Hope that cold eases up a bit. It's a nasty one that seems to really get a hold of folks for quite a number of days.

Cocoa roasted cauliflower is from Well Fed - it's amazing & tastes nothing like either cauliflower or cocoa :D

I am still beleaguered by Man Flu today - woe is me :lol: - but i slept like a dead badger & will probably have a little afternoon snooze as well. Nice healing sleep...

Food so far today -

Breakfast - braised hearts & roast butternut squash

Lunch - beef mince, cashews, sultanas, shredded sweet potato, sesame oil. Baked chocolate cheesecake (eaten with a general attitude of "well it can't make me feel any worse!" :rolleyes: )

Dinner will be butter chicken, probably with broccoli (maybe roasted) or cauliflower rice.

It's lashing down with rain here & pretty chilly... One of those days when i find myself wanting to punch the likes of Mark Sisson for saying we should all get at least 15 minutes of sun exposure every day, preferably with our tops off. Really mate? You live in Florida. Try visiting the UK sometime :lol: My top is NOT coming off - well, not until i become some sort of CrossFit Paleo Diva like Sarah Fragoso AND not until about May, earliest!

Almcc - i like that "eating in the middle" idea. We shouldn't have to be All or Nothing, Whole30 or Bingeing. There must be a middle way out there somewhere!

Happy middle eating!

"Eating in the middle" is a nice phrase to consider.  I know lots of times I realize (through all this daily reflection) that my off-roading and what felt like crazy binging wasn't really so bad - wasn't so great, but wasn't so bad.  Cheese and crackers is a good example of something that is so much better than processed cheese rolls from the grocery deli, served alongside a donut!  I have to keep pointing those things out to myself.  I saw some photos of bread and cheese the other day and really had a moment where I absolutely missed those foods.  But I certainly don't miss the effects of them.  Nor the stuffing my face without stopping which is what I do.  There's just not a stop button when I'm eating my old ways.

Hi all. Been swamped getting ready for today's market. Food has been pretty good. Splurged and had hot dogs last night. Organic - they had sugar tho. They were a little too sweet. Today we are having leftover ribs. I brought chicken, carrots, olives and banana to eat at the market. I know I have changed because I am not the least bit tempted to go look at the baked goods. Instead I bought 5 baskets of my fave tomatoes.

Hope everyone is well. Happy eating in the middle.

Yesterday was a bit rubbish. Today, 100% better.

Breakfast - mince, kale, apples & pecans

Lunch - everyday Paleo stuffing & a sweet potato

Snack - salami

Dinner - chicken vindaloo & cauliflower rice

And my mood's lifting already :rolleyes: Admittedly i was a bit grouchy this morning (leftover from the day(s) before), but now better. It really does start with food..!

Onward & upward! :)

It is still amazing to me that what I eat impacts how I feel.

Roz- glad you are feeling better.

Last night was a snack-fest. I have to remember if I don't eat enough the 1st half of the day the last half does not go so well. Woke up this morning ready to go.
1: eggs, brisket, spinach, sp.

We have steaks for dinner - think I'll have tuna for lunch.

Happy eating.

Hot today!! Thursday evening our central heating kicked in, it was that chilly. Today, we're all in vests :rolleyes:

Breakfast - mince, kale & fennel with pine nuts & raisins

Lunch - same as yesterday

Snack (hardly a snack by my usual standards!) - a strip of freshly baked bacon & a glass of fruit kvass

Dinner (still to come) - savoury sweet potato meatloaf & veggies to breakfast decided...

Had a bit of a KATT attack this afternoon, probably because the kids were squabbling & i was trying to get loads of food prep done & i was hot & bothered :blink: Better now!

:)

Food update! We had roast parsnips & kale with the meatloaf, plus i had some sauerkraut & homemade ketchup. Then i casually whipped up another batch of ketchup (as you do - things you never thought you'd do before Whole30 & all that), I'm trying a fermented one this time (things you never thought you'd do before Whole30, again). Phew! Time to settle down with my book i think :D

Hi hi.

I am making meatloaf tonight.  Will not be making ketchup (will just use tomato paste) - but need a new batch of mayo.  Will make that tomorrow -as you do!!! :D

Was irritated yesterday with myself.  Bought a new brand of kombucha and did not read the label before I paid for it.  They added sugar.....grumph. 

Went shopping for clothes and had a reality check.   I have been worried for days that I have been gaining weight and since I am not weighing - I don't really know what is going on. :(  Anyway- I bought some sizes I never thought I'd see again!! :D  

This weekend I have a reunion.  It will be hard to eat this way there - as I have no choices.  I am going to do my best.  Perhaps bring some carrots and anything else I can think of that doesn't require the fridge.  The biggest issue will be the drinking.  I have bought some organic hard cider to bring.  I'll just sip on it.  Plus I'll bring my tummy meds. :blink:

Happy eating!!!!

Hi all

I started to think more about my reunion. I'm a little concerned. But I know I can start another Whole 30 next Monday. Which I think I'm going to do.

I didn't eat well today. Was not prepared and so did not eat enough. At meal 1 or 2. I splurged tonight and had a burger. With half the bun and cheese. Tasted ok. Now I have a headache. Ack.

Tomorrow I am going to eat enough. And workout.

Happy eating.

We're traveling this next week to Mexico and I'm concerned about that!  I know I don't want restrictions so I think (I say this now) that I'm going to create some parameters for myself and say no dairy (I'm creating these parameters as I type!  :) ), no Margaritas (because of the sugar) (but beer is okay?).  Hmmm, obviously I need to think more on this!  I'll definitely try to do no dairy.

Here's to tomorrow and a fresh start!!!

Hi all, just realised i hadn't checked in for a few days... Still eating good, though I'm incredibly tired today which is frustrating. I slept ok & I've had a helping of sweet potato... :huh: Oh well, hopefully an early night will see me right!

Food today...

Breakfast - meatloaf, spring greens & apples & pecans

Lunch - everyday paleo stuffing, sweet potato & crispy bacon

Snack - piece of Lebanese beef & some salami

Dinner - Moroccan meatballs & cauliflower rice pilaf

Quite proud of myself today, i spent the afternoon at a mum's group, right next to a large & opened packet of custard creams & i didn't eat any :lol: I can't say i didn't think about it, but i could hardly call it "craving". Yippee!! And Almcc, i get where you're coming from with the clothes shopping... I have weighed recently :ph34r: & found little to no change, but I'm getting into smaller trousers at least! My top half is all over the place though, with great big man arms & a pot belly :rolleyes::lol: Some day i'll be happy!

E&K - enjoy your trip! You'll find plenty of delicious food to eat I'm sure :)

Happy eating!

Hi hi.

Just got back from reunion. I did my best but there were not a lot if choices. Today I am trying to decide when to do my next whole 30. I have an all day event next week and I cannot bring food. I already know what's on the menu. And it's not whole 30 compliant. But I think if I wait - I'll spend the next week eating what I miss.

In the meantime - I'm off to make sweet potatoes. And chicken thighs.

How is everyone?

Could you do a WholeFewDays, then the planned day off, then the whole30 proper? I know what you mean about wanting to stock up on "banned" foods before you get going :rolleyes: One of my reasons for not scheduling another 30 days!

Anyhoo, good to hear from you! I'm good - had a couple of "days off" (think - face down in a big bar of milk chocolate :ph34r: ) at the end of last week, i honestly didn't enjoy the second day & was really glad to get back to good food! So I'm taking it as a positive experience overall.

Happy eating :D

Archived