Day 3, so far so good (ish)!

beckysefco

Today and yesterday sucked. I still wanted SUGAR and I even had a dream last night about wanting something and not being able to have it. I don't remember what it was or if I gave in or not...

I should've never tried Larabars because they are so good, and I treat them the way I treat my old addictions. I had one yesterday and two today. Luckily I left the rest at work so I won't sneak another one until I go back on Tuesday. I just need to be more careful. I can picture myself putting back a whole box if I had the chance.

Today's meals:

M1: chicken sausage with sweet potato, gala apple

M2: Baby green and spinach salad with turkey, cucumbers and cherry tomoatoes. Handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts) and a Larabar

M3: Haven't had it yet but I thawed a steak that I will share with Kevin when he gets home from work. Probably with some broccoli and green beans

I did not exercise today but I supervised swimming lessons, taught two of my own, ran around crazy making coffee at work and cleaned for six hours. So that might count :)

Does anyone else feel like their cravings aren't really going away, or am I the only one? I have good days and bad days. Someone suggested (it was either Michele or GFgirl) peppermint tea, and I had some at work and it did help. I will buy some when I go to the store tomorrow.

Any favorite meal suggestions that I should try? Thanks for reading.

I made the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed tonight. It was delicious! I put a good handful of fresh baby spinach on the bottom of my bowl and topped it with avocado. Felt good and satisfied!

You definitely aren't the only one still struggling with cravings. My husband and I were both craving wine/beer today. We're used to our beverages for Football Saturday :P He's also wanting something sweet, where I'm craving something light and fresh? Does that sound strange?! I don't know....I'm also thinking the days are sucky! My house has never been cleaner! I'm throwing all my energy into organinzing and scrubbing everything!

I'm glad the peppermint tea helped! I will probably be having some tonight. It works for headaches too!

Becky

If you are craving something sweet you may want to avoid the larabars until it passes. It may just make matters worse (speaking from experience). I know for some even fruit can make it worse but for some it may help.

I have found the peppermint or cinnamon tea has helped me.

Hope the sugar craving passes quickly!!!

You got this!!!

@GFgirl thanks. I will. It's basically eating a healthy candy bar. I bought peppermint tea today and I think I'll just always have it on me!!

Two weeks down. Today was crappy also. Last night peanut butter had a starring role in my dreams, no joke. I find myself wanting stupid things that my husband is eating that I normally wouldn't necessarily care for (who in their right mind has a jones for jelly and toast?!)

Breakfast was fine. Herb scrambled eggs with bacon and veggies. I didn't have lunch, just carrots and sunbutter while I went through my closets and got rid of clothes I don't wear. Dinner was chicken meatballs and onion, sweet potato, zucchini and squash... which was good but I overate AGAIN and wasn't hungry because of all the nuts I ate before hand. I'm getting out of control just under different parameters.

I need to reel it in and be mindful again of what I am doing... instead of be grumpy that its hard to fit in my life with two jobs and a husband to cook for who has the opposite schedule as me. I went to the grocery store today so I won't be so hard pressed to come up with something creative. A fully stocked fridge and a better attitude about the next two weeks should carry me through. And peppermint tea!

I guess its too early to worry about this BUT my husband and I are going to Jamaica in a month (yay) for our belated honeymoon. Which is great, but I worry how I'm going to handle myself without the program to adhere to. I've read some of the articles about vacationing on "paleo" and come up with some strategies. I think my plan will be to do my best to stick to the plan and indulge only when necessary. Croutons on a salad or pancakes at the buffet or bread on the table doesn't count. Just because endless drinks are there doesn't mean I have to partake in all day all night drinking for eight days. With my husband's help I think I can do it, I just worry. It was kind of all bad timing to start this so close to a vacation, but I couldn't wait and wanted to start. (No I did'nt do it so I'd look good in my bikini either!)

So yeah. That's what's up with me. Jamaica on the brain. I just need to get out of Nebraska for a bit.

Today was much much better. I decided to suck it up and forget about feeling sad about the junk I can't have. Its just food!

M1 was more like a pre wod snack of half a banana and two chicken meatballs

M2 was a huge salad with greens, herbs, spinach, pears, prosciutto, tomato, onion, cashews, cucumber, avocado.. it was so good I didn't miss the dressing or croutons!!

M3 was no bean venison chili, so good!

15 more days! Woo!

11 more days. I'm surprised I lasted this long! The last few days have been stressful. So naturally I want to resort to the usual ice cream or pizza. But I haven't! My husband has been so supportive. He deserves a gold medal. He's held back for my sake, and even had some after work salads! I think this process will have a lasting positive change on us, and being more mindful of our choices.

My skin broke out, which was disappointing after being clear for two weeks. But its ok. It could be hormones, stress, forgetting to wash my face, I'm not going to stress about it.

I think the last week and a half is going to be rough. I'm sorry for being negative, but I can't pretend this is super easy for me and I love it. I'm tired of it, and I'm over it. I realize its only 30 days, but the nature of this program has brought back the crazy, obsessive, fixated person I used to be when I restricted calories. Its making me nuts. I don't think any amount of sweet potatoes or berries will help either. I'm just going to keep trying and see what happens.

Day 18:

M1: 2 eggs, raw salad of tomato, zucchini, red onion and lime juice. And a banana!

M2: grilled chicken salad

M3: venison tenderloin marinated in apple cider, wrapped in bacon and grilled, roasted sweet potato and salad

Day19:

M1: 3 Eggs, raw salad of zucchini, tomato, red onion and lime juice. Clementine!

M2: might take a stab at making mayo again for cucumber and onion salad, 2 chicken sausage

M3: beef burgers with Portobello mushroom caps instead of buns, tomato, onion, lettuce, mustard, mayo, maybe broccoli of the side

Again, sorry for being so crabby about all this. I just didn't want to lie and make it seem like this is easy for me! If I fall off (hopefully not) you'll be the first to know! Here's to the last week and a half!

11 more days. I'm surprised I lasted this long! The last few days have been stressful. So naturally I want to resort to the usual ice cream or pizza. But I haven't! My husband has been so supportive. He deserves a gold medal. He's held back for my sake, and even had some after work salads! I think this process will have a lasting positive change on us, and being more mindful of our choices.

My skin broke out, which was disappointing after being clear for two weeks. But its ok. It could be hormones, stress, forgetting to wash my face, I'm not going to stress about it.

I think the last week and a half is going to be rough. I'm sorry for being negative, but I can't pretend this is super easy for me and I love it. I'm tired of it, and I'm over it. I realize its only 30 days, but the nature of this program has brought back the crazy, obsessive, fixated person I used to be when I restricted calories. Its making me nuts. I don't think any amount of sweet potatoes or berries will help either. I'm just going to keep trying and see what happens.

Day 18:

M1: 2 eggs, raw salad of tomato, zucchini, red onion and lime juice. And a banana!

M2: grilled chicken salad

M3: venison tenderloin marinated in apple cider, wrapped in bacon and grilled, roasted sweet potato and salad

Day19:

M1: 3 Eggs, raw salad of zucchini, tomato, red onion and lime juice. Clementine!

M2: might take a stab at making mayo again for cucumber and onion salad, 2 chicken sausage

M3: beef burgers with Portobello mushroom caps instead of buns, tomato, onion, lettuce, mustard, mayo, maybe broccoli of the side

Again, sorry for being so crabby about all this. I just didn't want to lie and make it seem like this is easy for me! If I fall off (hopefully not) you'll be the first to know! Here's to the last week and a half!

Congratulations for passing the half-way mark!

Would it help to mix things up a bit? Try different foods or recipes?  Do you have some stress-management practices in place?

What do you feel will best put you in a position to succeed with the remaining 11 days?  

Today is my third day. I work at a coffee shop so I'm surrounded by sugar and dairy and pastries and I've been holding strong, although this morning the first thing I thought of at 5 a.m. when I woke up was... a cinnamon roll! Oh how I wanted one. I am a huge sugar fiend and I have had cravings every day, which really is nothing new. I'm the reason why grocery stores have chocolate in the checkout lanes-- I take full advantage every time! ...I digress.

This is my first Whole30 but my second attempt. Last time I gave up around day 4 or 5. I want to do it after noticing how my health is so linked to what I eat (last week I had a huge migraine, turns out the pound of pistachios I ate was probably the culprit, I didn't realize they were a common trigger for many people), I am tired of being a 25-year old pizza  face (mmm pizza), and let's be honest! I don't want to be overweight anymore! Who doesn't want to feel better AND look better?

Hopefully logging and commenting on other people's posts will help me stay accountable. My husband is very supportive but is not able to join me at this time. So feel free to comment and I'll follow your log as well! I'm all about support and helping others as much as I can!

So here's for the boring stuff: the food. (I feel like no one cares about what I eat)

Day 1: No appetite for some reason, ate anyway

M1: 2 eggs over easy, mixed sauteed veggies and half an avocado

M2: Huge grilled chicken salad with tons of greens and veggies. Mustard, EVOO (ugh I can't believe I just said that), egg, lemon juice vinaigrette

M3: Shrimp scampi (from Make It Paleo) and a ton of steamed broccoli

Day 2: Didn't feel like a big deal, I enjoyed all my meals. Got a late night headache but it wasn't too bad.

M1: 2 hardboiled eggs, 2 clementines, celery with sunflower seed butter (I know, I know, I had to be at work at 5:45, it was the best I could do!)

M2: shrimp salad lettuce cups (celery, onion, homemade mayo that I botched)

M3: Turkey meatloaf and homemade ketchup. My husband liked it but I'm not sure I'll be making it again.

Day 3: Sleepy (not sure if it's the food or early mornings), and diarrhea. TMI but that's my life right now.

M1: Forgot to grab breakfast so I munched on some celery, sunbutter and 2 clementines that I left at work, when I got home I had two chicken sausages and lots of cucumber/onion/botched mayo salad. So frickin good.

M2: Not sure yet. I just ate breakfast #2 (maybe that counts as M2?) and I'm not hungry so I got nothin.

M3: Mexican "rice" bowls, made with a ground venison/chorizo combo (noms), spanish cauliflower "rice," tomatoes, onions, maybe peppers if I'm feeling jazzy. Oh yeah and guac. Can't forget the guac!

Today is my day off, so I'm going to take a nap now. Hoping to hit the gym later for the first CrossFit workout I've done in a month... gah.

Good luck everyone, thanks for reading!

Becky, you mention being crabby and negative, and your post resonates your mood....

Are you getting enough fat? And carbs? The meals you posted sounded low in both. They'll both make a difference to how you feel, mentally and physically. I know you said you didn't think that any amount would help you, but you may find that increasing both would have an impact!

Hey! I appreciate your input. You might be right, I haven't been meal planning as much as when I started, and I end up "throwing something together" that might not necessarily be balanced. I feel bad about my attitude, I shouldn't be such a downer on a public forum but hey that's how I was feeling. Thank you, Amberino for the suggestion. I will take your advice, you're the expert after all!

I will say this, I cheated. Yesterday at work (I was hungry) and I gave in to temptation. I took a few sips from the remainder of a pumpkin pie smoothie. Now, it's bad that I went so long without eating and that I gave in to a craving but I will say it was worth it. It was worth it because it wasn't even good! That used to be my favorite thing last fall and it just wasn't the same. To top it off, I felt gross after. Like full and bloated and my stomach was upset. It was definitely a reality check to myself: "hey Becky, you dont really need this!" I just hope that eventually I can practice this enough to actually think about indulging in something I know is bad for me, because I know how it affects my body and makes me feel.

Did I complete a whole30? No. I knowingly, voluntarily cheated in a moment of weakness. But I will shake it off and finish my thirty days like I said I would. Maybe my next attempt will be a full whole30, knowing what I know now about cheating.

@GFchris, it's funny you mentioned "stress management" practices. I thought about it and there isn't really anything I do specifically to relieve stress. Honestly I eat!!! Ugh. I suppose after my workout yesterday I felt much better, and reading really helps too. I think I need to keep a book handy and go to the gym when I get antsy (if I have time). Thanks for the suggestion because I never really thought about it before.

Today so far:

M1: clementine, handful of cashews, 2 hard boiled eggs,

M2: grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar

M3: not sure yet!

Finally! I will be leaving the coffee shop for a better paying job closer to home. As much as I enjoy the work, I'm glad not to be in such a tempting environment anymore. It's a relief!

Way to go on the new job! I don't think I would have been able to be as strong as you surrounded by all that temptation ;)

I'm still struggling a bit too. It's much, much harder on the weekends! It would probably help if I stayed off Pinterest and stopped looking at all the fall "treats" that I want to bake!  I feel like I'm in a food rut and not much is sounding good. Then I make myself feel guilty because I'm sure there are so many people who would love to be able to eat like we do.....it's a vicious cycle!

Anyway, my husband and I have 8 more days to go...we are ending on Day 28 due to an upcoming vacation and I'm not going to turn down a Mai Tai in Hawaii :P

Archived