Heavy Cream Substitute

asutton

Hi Everybody,

I am attending a Paleo potluck this weekend. I have an amazing sweet potato gratin recipe that I really want to bring the issue is it is not paleo. I am hoping there is a way I can make it whole30/paleo approved. The recipe calls for heavy cream. Has anyone had any luck with substitute for heavy cream? I am thinking about trying coconut milk.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

Thank you!

I've had really bad luck with a coconut cream substitute for heavy cream in savory dishes. It ruined mac and cheese I did a few years ago - you could taste the coconut really strongly.

Maybe you could use mayo? That way it isn't coconut flavored. Although, if it's sweet potato gratin (just saw that), maybe it would be more sweet anyways, so the coconut wouldn't be too terrible. I'm just not a fan of coconut in savory things.

I made butternut squash soup (which was really the consistency of pureed squash) using coconut milk. It was great. It tasted just like pumpkin pie. There was no coconut taste. I even baked the squash in coconut oil.

Get a good quality coconut milk, I like Native Forest.

Use coconut milk from a can that has been sitting for at least a day. Do not shake the can before opening. Open the can and pour off the clear liquid at the top. Use the cream part that has settled to the bottom of the can. You can also open the can upside down if you prefer, and skim the cream from the top.

Archived