Hunger, craving, or habit- how to tell

Nikknak

As I'm coming home from work, I ate lunch at 12 and now I find myself really wanting something to eat. How do I really tell if its actual hunger, a craving, or just that I usually have a snack at this time of the day and always have since I was in middle school.... I feel like my stomach is so hungry but then I wonder if I'm just over thinking it.

Hi - I struggle with this, too. 

The book recommends asking yourself if you are hungry enough for fish and brocolli.  If you are, have a mini-meal.  If not, wait.  The problem with that is I LIKE fish and brocolli. :)

I sometimes just make myself wait.  From my calorie counting days, I have a pretty good idea of what things add up to, so, even though we're not supposed to count calories, in this situation, I have quickly estimated what I'd eaten for lunch and assured myself that I'd had plenty to hold me over.  Usually, I get started doing something and before I know it, I'm not hungry anymore.  I wouldn't recommend that approach to everyone, but it has worked for me at times.

If, when I'm looking back at my lunch, I realize it was kind of small or lacking in protein or fat, I usually find myself something to eat.

Good luck!

It takes awhile for your body to adjust to eating enough food at one meal to last you until the next. As Pjena stated, are you hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli? Or are you thinking about diving into a jar of nut butter and fruit? You can go ahead and eat a mini meal for now until you start to learn your hunger cues more clearly. Some peopl do need 4 meals if they are very active. Also, if you exercise then be sure to have a smll pre workout fat/protein combo and a smll post workout lean protein.

If I think im hungry, ill very often have a drink (usually water, sometimes herbal tea). More often than not this makes the hungry feeling go away as I was thirsty not hungry :)

If I start doing something an it goes away, that shows me its boredom....

If I have a drink, get busy, and still feel like I could eat my arm off, ill eat. Something other than my arm.

Archived