Stomach aches

So, I'm on day 9 of a whole 30 (or maybe whole45 or whole 60). But I need some advice because I'm wondering if I should be doing a stricter whole30 like the autoimmune or IBS protocol. Here's my problems, For the last 5 months I've been having stomach aches or pain/cramping almost everyday, sometimes all day. I have diarrhea often and I also feel nauseous sometimes. I've been to the doctor several times. The first time they put me on a gluten free diet for 6 weeks to see if that was the problem but that didn't fix it. I've since then had blood work done that came back normal, an ultrasound that came back normal and an endoscopy that only showed signs of reflux and mild inflammation, but was negative for infection and cancer. He told me to take meds for the reflux and to avoid foods that bother me, but thats the problem...I cant figure out what foods bother me. I'll eat something and be running to the bathroom right after but then the next day when I eat the same thing it could have no effect on me. It doesn't seem to be consistent with what foods bother me. I've been pretty much eating the same types of food for this whole30 and the first 3 days I had no stomach problems but days 4-9 have been terrible. 

So, should I just stick with the regular whole30 and hope things start improving? Or should I try the IBS (even though I dont know if thats what it is)? Or autoimmune? 

I'd appreciate any advice and would love to hear if anyone has had similar issues and what they did to help it. 

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Give a regular Whole30 a full 30 days and maybe longer before doing anything different. Digestive problems tend to resolve slowly and you can't expect symptoms to disappear after 9 days. If you are better, but not completely well after 30 days, consider continuing on another 30 days, but don't start experimenting with a stricter protocol if you are improving. 

I have a long history of IBS/Chron's. From my experience, if you eat something and it sends you running to the bathroom, that food you just ate is not the trigger. Think about it. There is no way food travels that fast in your system. Even with food poisoning, it takes 8+ hours for a reaction in most cases.

What happens is that you ate something that is going to cause a problem, but not until it gets into the colon. So it's just sitting there, waiting. When you do eat something else, that does cause a reaction in your whole digestive system, and 'wakes it up' for lack of a better term. So everything starts moving down the line and the stuff you ate earlier or even the day before is now causing you the cramps, gas, bloating, pain and eventually diarrhea. It happened to me last night. I believe it was what I had for breakfast.

That's why keeping a food log is important. Do the regular W30 but keep careful track of everything you eat. Then if you have to run to the bathroom, look back 2-3 meals to see what it could be.

For me, the triggers are foods like onions, broccoli, avocado, lettuce, etc.

Some things for me do go right thru me. I know this because it looks exactly the same coming out as it did going in. Raw greens for example.....

I am in this same situation and asked the same question. I will still be doing regular W30, but limiting raw veggies, not too many eggs, lots of starchy veggies and minimal water with my meals. I also added digestive enzymes, fish oil, probiotics and vit d.

I have IBS, and  I thought I'd start just with the regular Whole 30 first and see where that gets me. And I am doing surprisingly well -- not perfect but the best in years.

For full disclosure, I do need to say that a practitioner suggested a few supplements too, so I think it's actually the combination of the two.

Basically I am taking HCL, probiotics, digestive enzymes -- I can give you the whole list if you are actually interested. I would give you the practitoner's name if you want too, although she is a GAPS person and not Whole30. I am doing her suppliments but following whole30 since a doctor suggested Whole 30 for my son, which is what actually got me to finally do something. 

Some things for me do go right thru me. I know this because it looks exactly the same coming out as it did going in. Raw greens for example.....

I am in this same situation and asked the same question. I will still be doing regular W30, but limiting raw veggies, not too many eggs, lots of starchy veggies and minimal water with my meals. I also added digestive enzymes, fish oil, probiotics and vit d.

I didn't want to say it, but the best way to see what caused the problem is to look in the toilet. Yesterday for me it was fennel seeds. I was eating it all week in my breakfast patties, but eventually my body said 'No Mas!'.

I have IBS, and  I thought I'd start just with the regular Whole 30 first and see where that gets me. And I am doing surprisingly well -- not perfect but the best in years.

For full disclosure, I do need to say that a practitioner suggested a few supplements too, so I think it's actually the combination of the two.

Basically I am taking HCL, probiotics, digestive enzymes -- I can give you the whole list if you are actually interested. I would give you the practitoner's name if you want too, although she is a GAPS person and not Whole30. I am doing her suppliments but following whole30 since a doctor suggested Whole 30 for my son, which is what actually got me to finally do something. 

My mom suggested I take probiotics and digestive enzymes too...so I should probably add that.

so if you can see it in the toilet that means its a problem food for sure? :/ 

If you see undigested food particles, that means your system couldn't digest the food and/or there was too much fiber and your system couldn't break it down. What happens then is that these food particles draw water into the colon, and, well you can guess the rest.

If you see undigested food particles, that means your system couldn't digest the food and/or there was too much fiber and your system couldn't break it down. What happens then is that these food particles draw water into the colon, and, well you can guess the rest.

well, that already helps me identify some foods I cant handle. Of course its foods I love :/

Thanks again everyone!

What probiotic do you use? I was taking garden of life raw womens blend but found out it has milk in it. I tried to find Jarrow brand but no health store around me carry it. Also, was wondering about HCL....is it different that enzymes?

Probiotics:

I take this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127L7YI/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049NW9UI/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one each at bedtime and first thing in the morning

HCL is the acid your stomach makes (I hope that is accuate) -- your stomach digests two ways, enzymes and stomach acids.

This is the HCL I take : http://www.amazon.com/Biotics-Research-Hydro-Zyme-250T/dp/B003JOHDE0/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_5

two with each meal......

Probiotics:

I take this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127L7YI/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049NW9UI/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one each at bedtime and first thing in the morning

HCL is the acid your stomach makes (I hope that is accuate) -- your stomach digests tow ways, enzymes and stomach acids.

This is the HCL I take : http://www.amazon.com/Biotics-Research-Hydro-Zyme-250T/dp/B003JOHDE0/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_5

two with each meal......

Hmmm, I wonder if I should add HCL since I was on Prevacid for many years?

Not to get too personal, but did you have problems with "going" to often or not enough? I'm trying to slow down and/or bulk it up a bit. (Tmi? Sorry)

• 2 weeks later...

Symptom: stomach pain (no diarrhea)

After 2 weeks on Whole30, my daughter (14yo) has stomach pain whenever she eats (other than watermelon, which I know can be gut-healing). Do we need to just stick with it, or try something different (like digestive enzymes,etc.)? It's getting to the point where she doesn't want to eat.

She has started taking a half cup of kombucha before bed, as a probiotic - maybe that's causing a problem? She is already doing the AIP, but is planning to add ghee after 30 days so she can eat more cooked vegetables (due to flavor). BTW, she also has been light-headed, so we are increasing water consumption and salt intake.

This happened to me my first two weeks as paleo -- probiotics is what saved the day for me. It is not a bad sign, it doesn't mean the diet is not for her, but she needs to feel better soon.

I ended up calling someone from here and now my digestion is a dream

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/healers/

well much better than i have seen it in years and years anyway :)

Archived