Trouble Eating Enough

Hi all,

Hoping some veterans can offer some advice.

On Day 7, and finding that I'm not hungry enough for three full meals some of the time. Mainly over the weekend.

A typical Saturday is waking late-ish (around 10 or 10:30). Having breakfast. That usually fills me up until 5 or so (not starving myself, just legitimately not hungry). Then I have dinner. So a typical Saturday is two (hearty) meals. 

So yesterday (Sunday), I woke at 10. Had a hearty Whole30 breakfast (three hardboiled eggs, sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk). Then I went out touring around with family in town. Got home at 5, was not hungry (hadn't eaten since 10:30 a.m. but again, it was a hearty meal). Had a large salad with avocado, eggs, and turkey. Still full at 8:30 where I hit a quandry: I hadn't had three meals that day (the Whole30 "minumum") but now it's too close to bedtime to eat a meal (another Whole30 rule). So I cooked a zucchini, had a little chicken (like a few forkfuls) a Larabar, and some cashews. But, still, it felt like I was forcing food down because I was not hungry (in fact, still fairly full) and was only eating b/c Whole30 said I had to.

So my question is in two parts--why should I force food down when I'm not hungry, doesn't that go against the psychological aspect of the Whole30, to gauge your hunger before eating, just to reach my three meals a day?

And the same thing goes for a post-workout meal. My post workout meals coincide with breakfast and dinner, so I'm essentially eating them together. Then I feel uncomfortably full/nauseous. 

Thanks for the insight!

the emphasis on 3 full meals is more important for those who are coming from a place of skipping breakfast because they just aren't hungry. Because you are eating a hearty breakfast first thing upon waking, I wouldn't worry about forcing down a third. I find this especially true on weekends when we are off of the normal week-day routine. If I wake up late on weekends and eat a late breakfast, it's not uncommon for me to just have 2 big meals. I wouldn't worry about it. 

For post workout, you can combine the PWO meal and a regular meal. Some people can't stomach the idea of a full meal right after a workout, but if you can than go for it. Certainly saves time! I will do this from time to time as well. It just depends on the workout and time of day. The only caution I have for combining, is that you could possible under-eat, so just keep an eye on energy levels throughout the day and going into the next workout. If you are dragging I would add in more food to your big meal, if not, then you are good to go!

Hope that helps! 

This helps me too! Yesterday was my first day in 38 days when I didn't eat three meals, and it was the exact same scenario. Ate a very large breakfast late in the morning and then another large meal in the early evening. Too much stuff going on on the weekends! 

Archived