Help! My entire body aches plus terrible headaches

tarias

this past Saturday would have been day 16 for me.  I have LOVED the food and have had no problems implementing the diet. I cook all the time and have used the Well Fed recipes as well as Nom Nom Paleo.  I have followed it perfectly I think..... protein, veggies, and fat at every meal with an occasional fruit.  I am well hydrated.  However, I have felt miserable since about day 4.  My joints and spine ache. I have constant headaches.  Even taking ibuprofen does not relieve my achiness and headaches.  I am also really puffy as if I am retaining water.  My fingers get so fat that making a fist feels weird. How is it possible to feel so terrible when I am eating so healthy?  I am certain I have not lost any weight although I don't have a lot to lose.  That doesn't bother me so much as feeling crappy does.  So... on Saturday I was traveling and decided to take the day off.  I started out with a maple bar. I know, terribly unhealthy!  Ate pasta for dinner and had a couple glasses of wine.  I felt absolutely fine all day.  So I was back on the wagon yesterday and today.  I felt fine until late this morning and gradually my pain increased.  I took two Advil and I am currently on my back in bed.....I feel awful. Any ideas why I would be feeling this way? 

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well!  I think the key here might be to take a look at what you ate yesterday and today, and anything you ate daily during your first 14 days.  There's a good chance that you're having an adverse reaction to a specific food, as removing grains and sugar couldn't cause the problems you're listing.  I'd suggest detailing that out and then removing the foods that are the most likely offenders for awhile. My first thoughts would be nuts and coconut, but I have no idea if you're eating those. You may even want to work with a physician to check for allergies.

Oh thank you!  I had thought that I might be having an adverse reaction but couldn't figure out what it might be.  I did not even think about coconut but now that you mention it I made the jicama hash from the well fed cookbook (and I used a fair amount of coconut oil to fry it in) last night and then ate it again this morning and I think that might be it! I've been using it to cook with consistently since I began the whole30. I'll eliminate that for awhile and see if it helps.  I do eat almond butter as well so I'll eliminate that too.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  I've never been allergic to anything (that I'm aware of).  I have felt soooo horrible that I'm excited to figure this out.  Fingers crossed.....

Did you give up coffee? You could have caffeine withdrawal, it can give you horrible headaches.

Also, make sure you are eating enough starchy veggies, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. If you were eating a SAD diet before, your body was used to having all that glucose and you have to replace some of it.

When I eliminated coconut oil and coconut milk during my 2nd Whole30 - my symptoms of bloating and indigestion went away. I used a lot of bacon grease, animal fat, and ghee in place of coconut oil.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well - kudos for sticking it out for 16 days. I really hope you stick with it and figure out what is causing these symptoms.

Feel better soon!

Hi All,

I am on Day #4 and feel a bit like the person at the beginning of this post. No headaches, but definitely Achey and a runny nose. I avoid all the fodmaps, which limits my food choices, but I KNOW I am sensitive to certain things that others "can" have ( coconut, in any form, apples, onions, etc.). Anyway, suggestions for feeling a bit more gusto till I breakthrough to WONDEFUL??? Thank you. :)

Being on day 4 is usually very different than being on day 16 (as was stated in the OP). At day 4 and with these particular symptoms, it would be very difficult to determine if these symptoms are being caused by a certain food rather than "carb flu". "Carb flu" for most people can be really intense for the first 4-7 days. It's called carb flu for a reason - you can feel very achy, run down and all around miserable. My suggestion is to give it time to see if it improves.

Can I ask how you determined that you need to avoid all fodmaps? And how did you find out about your sensitivities to coconut, apples and onions? Have you done a Whole30 before? Or some other type of elimination diet? It's great that you are already somewhat aware of how certain foods affect you.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Jillian...well, to answer your question, :

I started a Paleo Diet around Jan. 2013.... ( My nephew is in The army , does Crossfit, big Paleo enthusiast)For a few days I felt wonderful then TERRIBLE bloating!! I started doing research and found out about FODMAPS....I avoided them as much as possible, but now and then, ugg! Bloating...I'd look the food up and, sure enough it was on some list as a FODMAPS ( there are conflicting lists...but, doggone it! I seem to be sensitive to ANY thing considered FODMAPS!) and non-fodmaps foods are OK ( I.e. , I could eat a small bowl of oatmeal[non fodmap] even with brown sugar [ non fodmap] and lactose free milk [non fodmap] and feel pretty good....but an apple??!!! Bloat City!! So, there it is.

Now, I have completed Day #4 of Whole 30, and have managed to avoid FODMAPS too. ( Ideally, I'd go to a food "professional" but, they are SPENDY!! So, as much as possible, trying to work through this on my own...)

A friend and I are working on this together, which helps, but she isn't sensitive to the FODMAPS so has a broader range of food to choose from.

Can I make this work??

Thanks!

Epsom salt baths help with detoxing and muscle/joint aches (trust me, I seriously live for my baths some days after working out and physical therapy).

One other thing - if your joints are swelling and you notice a bit of a rash, hit up a doctor. It is possible for the very lucky among us to be strep carriers...and the not-so-lucky among the carriers still get scarlet fever (as in, no symptoms, then scarlet fever). That's me - I woke up one morning with horrible body aches, red rash, swollen joints (my knee was almost grapefruit-sized with the rash all over my legs). Took them a week to figure it out, since I didn't have any sore throats before that. So THAT'S why I never had strep but my sister always did...oops...

Just wanted to add that in just in case someone else out there is like that. It's weird, but possible.

Archived