Help, traveling on day 23

settobefit

Hi! I'm going on a three day "vacation"/senior trip on day 23 of the program; I didn't realize this issue when I started.

My problem is not weather to continue it or not, I do want to keep going (not drinking shouldn't be that bad), the issue is weather or not I'm gonna be able to eat whole30 compliant food, especially for breakfast (I'm pretty sure I'll find salads and meat with veggies that are compliant).

Breakfast is included with the hotel we're staying in, and it's probably going to be croissants or maybe fruit or toast.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Call the hotel and inquire about getting a compliant meal for breakfast. At a minimum, see if you can get some hard boiled eggs and veggies sauteed in a compliant cooking fat.

Research menus of restaurants near where you're staying, choose candidate entrees that look promising, and call the restaurant ahead of time to see if the entree is compliant as is, or can be easily tweaked to do so. From my experience, best bets are places that cook to order or have gluten-free menus.

Call the hotel and inquire about getting a compliant meal for breakfast. At a minimum, see if you can get some hard boiled eggs and veggies sauteed in a compliant cooking fat.

Research menus of restaurants near where you're staying, choose candidate entrees that look promising, and call the restaurant ahead of time to see if the entree is compliant as is, or can be easily tweaked to do so. From my experience, best bets are places that cook to order or have gluten-free menus.

I live in Argentina so gluten free restaurants are hard to come by in the small beach town/city we're gonna be staying, the hotel can't make special accommodations sadly, and there might be a fridge in my assigned room, but that is determined when I get there (so that's a good option!).

Eating non-compliant food is not an option, I was wondering if maybe I could get away with eating a piece of fruit with coffee in the morning and have the three meals later in the day (we're probably going to be sleeping late anyways, so my first meal may be lunch!).

Try to keep with the template. Fruit by itself that early in the morning would have me ravenous in minutes, and craving sweets all day. In South American cooking (I've only been to Chile and Easter Island so not sure how this relates to Argentina) there were never places that I remember that didn't have things you could eat. Even if you order a burger and just ask them not to put it on a bun (or take the bun off when you get there), stews are usually fairly safe (might have to pick out beans though), paella is obviously out for the rice. Ceviche should be safe, and a lot of fish as well.

Keep an open mind and you'll be surprised. If you do have to do fruit in the morning, can you bring nuts or nut butter to dip it into to help mitigate the blood sugar spike? When travelling, I've done apples and almond butter as Meal 1. No, it's not template-approved, but it does at least help mitigate the negative effects.

Thanks MrsStick! I know I'll find food to eat while I'm out, the problem is I'm probably mainly going to be the mornings (or meal 1). You're right, I'm sure I'll figure it out once I'm there.

I should worry more about making it to day 23 (I'm only on day 7!) thank whats going to happen then... I just tend to be very anxious and worry about everything pre-maturely.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions though! 

If breakfast is your main concern, you could bring canned fish, some avocados or nuts and some baby carrots for your breakfasts.  Not the most delicious meal, but it would pack well and survive 3 days without a refridgerator. 

Good luck!

Archived