Asian markets

Vian

A new asian market opened up down the street from me and thai curry sounded good for dinner, so I stopped in to check it out and get some curry paste. I not only found compliant red curry paste (doesn't even have soybean oil like the yellow curry did) I also found large cans of coconut milk with nothing but 60-70% coconut cream and water for ingredients for $1.50, and CARTONS of 100% coconut cream for $2.69. I also asked the lady there if she can order red boat fish sauce and she had me write it down and will look into getting it. I'm totally excited :D

I lied, the curry paste has sugar in it, so not whole30 compliant, but I'm not doing a whole30, and it doesn't have any *other* crap ingredients, and I am not worried about a little sugar here and there. I tasted the coconut milk when I opened it and it's so delicious, wonderful flavor, nice and creamy, not separated much. I definately know where to get my coconut milk from now on!

• 3 weeks later...

This asian market keeps getting better! I went in today just to get some thai basil (because they sell it for $0.99 a pound vs. $2.20 an ounce elsewhere) and found Red Boat Fish sauce for $8 (which is great because I was almost out) AAAAAAAAAAND Japanese purple sweet potatoes! I can't wait to try them! I'm so excited!!!

Post the brands if you can, lots of people are looking for those :)

Aroy-D makes compliant thai curry pastes (including yellow) and comes in a plastic tub. 

Watch your fingers cutting up the purple potato, mine had my knife sliding around, different texture from my usual sweet potatoes :)

Archived