I am on Day 29 and, though I did not weigh myself when I began and do not plan on weighing myself the day-after-tomorrow, on Day 31, I am clearly bigger than when I started. My clothes are tighter and my belly protrudes.  I did take pics.  When I started, I was about 10-15 pounds heavier than I would like to be, but within normal (5'5" 145-150).

I remind myself that my goals for the W30 were to overcome my sugar addiction and figure out what could be causing the bloating and bad digestion (constipation) for the last 3 years. NOT to lose weight...but I have to say, I've battled disappointment and was secretly hoping that this program would slim me down.

I am 49, so peri-menopause is part of the equation, for sure.  I take progesterone.

I have hypo-thyroid and take a low dose of Levoxyl.

I exercise 4-5 times a week--various workouts.  And have been taking saunas afterwards to get rid of toxins.

Also, from age 22 until just a few months ago (27 years!), I took a small dose of antibiotics every time

I had intercourse.  I have seen many docs and that was the only way I could stay out of the ER at 3 am.  I recently found an alternative to antibiotics that seems to be working, but that's another story...

On Day 12, I had a massage with a friend who mentioned that acupuncture might address the constipation.  I went that next week for acupuncture and have been 2 times total (will continue).  She is working to strengthen my kidneys and relieve my constipation.  She says she's seen the W30 radically change the clients who have done it.

I looked at the W30 Forum and started using Digestive Enzymes, Magnesium, and take a huge dose of probiotics to address the probable candida after so many years of antibiotic use.  Oy.  Still no relief.

I just found some posts that recommend sweet potato and butternut squash for constipation.  Coincidentally, other posts mention that veggies with higher carbs are also recommended for hypo-thyroid. I will add more of these and see what happens.

I am very clear that going back to starting the day with tea, milk, and honey, and then battling cravings every 2 hours, is not the way to health.  To cut out anything that could be contributing to inflammation and hormonal imbalances, can only be good.  

I plan to continue a modified W30 for...who knows?  I love it.  I feel great.  My skin glows...and most important and profound, is that for the first time since adolescence, I have real balance in my eating.  I have no cravings, either physical or emotional.  And that is, simply, extraordinary.  I am so grateful to this program. 

I am continuing with faith that going back cannot be better, that this feels just right for me, and that things will/must get better!

Will post again around W45! Or W60, or whatever it takes.

Hi Lydia!

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling the magic, but I'm encouraged that you're willing to keep working on this. I'd really suggest posting a few days worth of meals so we can perhaps help you identify what might be causing your bloating and discomfort.  For example, have you been consuming many nuts?  Do you have a history of sensitivity to FODMAPS?

Hi Robin!

Thanks for getting back to me.

What is a FODMAP? 

I eat about a handful of nuts per day.  Will cut them out and see how I feel.

Here is a few day's worth of meals--I was writing them for my acupuncturist, anyway:

DAY I

Breakfast

Tea with coconut manna blended in

Sauteed in ghee: zucchini, onion, yellow squash, butternut squash, with 2 eggs.

Lunch

Salad with:

dressing (balsamic, amino acids, dijon, olive oil)

mixed greens

tomato

scallions

1/4 avocado

smoked salmon (4 oz)

Snack

Handful cashews

Asian Pear

Dinner

Lean steak (3-4 oz)

sauteed spinach and garlic

salad of greens, balsamic dressing

2 dates

DAY II

Brunch/Breakfast 

Boiled egg

Tea with coconut manna blended in

fruit salad (papaya, apple, pear, raspberries)

Smoked salmon

Snack

Handful nuts and Asian pear

Dinner

Beef stew (Beef, carrots, onions)

Salad with balsamic and blanched green beans

bowl of raspberries

DAY III

Breakfast

Tea with coconut manna

veggies sauteed (onion, tomato, spinach) with ground veal

Lunch

salad and boiled egg

Snack 

Cashews and pear

DInner

Roast chicken 

Green salad with balsamic

Papaya

THANK YOU!

Overall, your food looks good! I might like to see more volume, but if you're not very active and you're satisfied, then you're probably fine. I'd encourage you to ditch the nuts for a few days, and add that pear to one of your meals.  If the snack is due to hunger, then for sure you'll want to up your food volume.

I think starchy veg like sweet potatoes and butternut squash are a great idea for you!  Try adding in a serving or two a day (if you haven't already) and see what happens :)

Thank you so much, Robin.  I do get quite a lot of high-intensity exercise, so I may need to up the volume of food, though I am so full-feeling all the time, it's hard to imagine.

I looked at the article--very informative.  And it looks like I may have to give up some loves like coconut...

Have stopped eating nuts.

Thank you!

Thank you so much, Robin.  I do get quite a lot of high-intensity exercise, so I may need to up the volume of food, though I am so full-feeling all the time, it's hard to imagine.

I looked at the article--very informative.  And it looks like I may have to give up some loves like coconut...

Have stopped eating nuts.

Thank you!

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but have you been in the habit of exercising a lot, and restricting food previously to try to maintain or lose weight? I also thought your food volume looked a little light, in protein and fat especially. your body may be telling you you're full as that what it's used to getting and has adapted to survive on that amount, where in reality, it needs more to really thrive.

I'd suggest pre/postWO meals as per the template, and making sure every meal has enough protein and fat. if eggs are your only protein, a serve would be as many as you can hold in your hands. you'll probably find that's 3-4!

• 4 weeks later...

I may be a little late to the party, but, for me, uncooked leafy greens are a big culprit for bloating.  I just don't digest them all that well.  So salads are a once or twice a week thing and I opt for more cooked veggies.  When I tried to go more raw (before starting the W30) I looked pregnant!  I would feel full because I didn't actually want to deal with the aftermath of eating (bloating) more than I was actually satiated.  Good luck tweaking your intake and I hope you find balance soon! 

Archived