Lawbride's First Whole 30: Oct 4th to Nov. 3rd

runninglawyer88

I make stirfrys with lots of fresh herbs/spices for flavour - loads of garlic, chilli, ginger, lemon zest and juice, coriander etc. you could also use coconut aminos which are a compliant soy sauce alternative.

I don't have a fish cake recipe - I made it up when I made it!! I used sweet potato, salmon, an egg, loads of herbs, some coconut flour etc and pan fried them.

Shakshuka eggs are eggs baked in to a tomatoey vegetable sauce. I make mine spicy (lots of chilli, paprika, cumin and coriander powder), and include zucchini, eggplant, capsicum, mushrooms - sort of vegetable/tomato stew with the eggs cooked in.

I make vegie frittata a lot - it's good when you want to make a lot, and is nice with salad, sort of quiche-y. You could add salmon, that's delicious, especially with leek :)

Great ideas! That all sounds DELICIOUS! Today's breakfast was AMAZING. 

So, I sauteed a tomato with some diced eggplant in a bit of olive oil with basil, garlic powder, and salt.  After I finished cooking it I drizzled it with balsamic vinegar. I had it with 3 fried eggs sprinkled with nutritional yeast. It was really good. definitely a keeper! 

Plan for today....

Breakfast:

sauteed eggplant/tomato w/ balsamic vinegar

3 fried eggs

1/2 small sweet potato with a bit of sunflower seed butter

coffee with coconut cream. 

WO: T25 workout (1 or 2 videos. I haven't decided yet) 

Post WO: 

4oz salmon and 1/2 small sweet potato 

Lunch:

8oz salmon

small spaghetti squash sauteed in olive oil with herbs and crushed red pepper

1/2 an apple with small handful of almonds 

Dinner: 

8oz salmon

sauteed spinach 

other 1/2 of apple with small handful of almonds 

Yesterday I had some pineapple and an apple after dinner. That seems to be my weak time. Usually my husband is eating ice cream or something so I try to soothe myself and assuage the cravings by eating fruit. ((Sigh)). I'm going to TRY to extend my whole 30 to November 10th. I have a brunch that I have to attend on that day and I'll try to stay compliant but I think I could use some more time (unless something happens in the next 18 days). I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. A lot could happen in 18 days. I'm not even halfway yet and I feel like I'm already changing in so many ways.

I wouldn't worry about the end of your W30 yet. Take each day and meal at a time. If you need/want to extend at the end it will feel like the right thing to do. 

I like Chris' suggestions for after dinner. Giving in to the emotional need for something sweet won't break the pattern. Let your husband's ice cream be on him and you focus on your needs. As someone married to the poster boy for the SAD I understand how hard it is but once you break it it is very freeing.

Chris--it's just a bad habit. Bigger portions wouldn't do the trick unfortunately. I also already drink sparkling water. It's great. It's really just something I need to train myself not to do. 

Physibeth--oh, i definitely agree. It's just one of those things that are easier said than done I guess. And you're so right about taking it one meal and day at a time. 

I have GREAT news. I had an accomplishment today...

Here was my schedule: 

Breakfast (8:15) 

• Eggs cooked in olive oil 
  • 1/2 small sweet potato with sunflower seed butter 
  • bag of steamable green beans
  • coffee w/ coconut cream 

Lunch (12:00) 

• 8oz salmon
  • broccoli/water chestnuts/snap pea veggie blend
  • 1 small sweet potato with sunflower seed butter

NOTHING except a pickle after class/before gym. I wasn't actually hungry at all and needed to head out immediately. This is huge since it's really hard for me to go more than 3 hours without food.

Workout 

Dinner (immediately after workout @ 6:00pm (it's cooking now actually))

• 8 oz salmon
  • sauteed spaghetti squash with nutritional yeast
  • baby carrots
  • handful of black olives

I WILL NOT HAVE FRUIT TONIGHT! PERIOD! I CAN TOTALLY DO THIS! 

Certainly easier said than done...there are several reason I gained all 80 lbs I lost before I got married back when I got married and that was one of them. Next Friday is my 5 year anniversary and I think its been about a year and a half that I've been able to let his food be his food and mine be mine.

Fortunately, I don't really crave "bad" things. Even before the W30 my idea of a nighttime snack would be a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and some yogurt or something--not "bad" but unnecessary. I definitely need to put an end to it though because I'm already incredibly uncomfortable with the changes in my body since getting married and it's time to do something about it! 

Sorry to hear about the protein bar, but yes, just keep moving forward.

Sorry to hear you are so hungry!  I know that really was awful for me on Monday.  In the future can you bring a small meal along with you?

Hang in there!

I can't really do that since my best class is from 2-4 so a small meal would throw off my entire day. So I just try to wait until I'm done to run home and eat something really quick between classes. I almost threw in the towel and just said screw it because I figured what the heck...it's no use but i will get through today and keep the ball rolling. I also felt too tired to do my workout but I just went on a walk and I've decided ill power through. Ice got this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived