Sara's First Whole30

SaraRuns

Day 0

The start date of my first Whole30 is Monday, October 14th. I've been doing a lot of cooking this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting started. My SIL and I have been talking about this for a few weeks but we were waiting for her to run her marathon today (which she rocked, go Johari!). I'm definitely nervous about all the changes.

Major goals:

- stop grazing from lunchtime on (usually healthy stuff,but constant eating other than during my runs in the evening)

- kick nightly glass (or two or three) of wine (after Whole30 I plan to drink occasionally)

- lead to a 10 pound weight loss (I do not expect to lose it all during the Whole30), reduce abdomen bloat

I'm interested to see how this goes. I've done a lot of reading on this site, the forums, and I've read the book, so I think I have a good feel of what is to come. But what will be the impact on the experiment of me...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Meal 1 of Day 1 down. I typically eat breakfast at 10-10:30, so one thing I am trying to do is eat earlier (I get up around 5:30). I am following the suggestion of no coffee before eating to try to encourage an earlier breakfast. So I am finally on to my first cup of the day! I was very nauseous when I started eating, so this is going to be something to overcome until it becomes habit to eat early.

I'm going to try to post what I plan to eat each day in the morning (if I know) and then I'll edit if necessary. I want to keep the log for accountability and so I can get an idea of what is or is not working for me.

M1(A)-8:15am: Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 2/3 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and about 1 cup of roasted broccoli with garlic, cooked in EVOO; Coffee with coconut milk (about 4 tsp)

M2(A)-1pm: Large green salad (different lettuces, spring mix, and spinach), one can tuna with 1/2 avocado and homemade olive oil mayo (about 1 tbsp), small handful of raw sunflower seeds for crunch on salad, EVOO and Balsamic for dressing, 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup

S(A)-3pm - unplanned, Hash about 2/3 cup, same as at M1

M3(A)-6ishpm: Pumpkin Chicken Chili (has green peppers, onions, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash. Unplanned, I was worried I didn't have enough fat, so I added a small handful of berries with coconut milk.

WO: No run today, my husband has a work dinner, so I am on child duty. I will try to get him out on his bike or something else outside to get some running around time.

Drinks: I drink tons of water and will continue to do that. I am going to try to stick with having one coffee (two cups) per day. I also drink a lot of tea (checked all for compliance). I plan to drink some Kombucha in the evening as that was my time to drink wine and I want to replace that with something good for me. I may also throw tea in the evening at times.

Supplements: I am going to continue to take fish oil and calcium (with D3) during the W30. I bought Natural Calm to take at night. I'm not sure if I want to start taking it immediately, or wait and see if I need it. For the W30 I will NOT be taking - multi-vitamin (has soy), red yeast rice, 3 tbsp flaxseed (soaked in hot water to release oil) for chronic regularity issues. I'm hoping that the natural calm and better eating is going to help with the regularity issues.

Here we go!

Edited to make changes for the day.

This is more difficult than I thought my first day would be.  I've been starving all day (when I haven't been nauseous).

My breakfast never filled me up and by 11am I was ravenous.  I held off eating until 1pm, but by then I was feeling really nauseous.  I ate anyway, but still didn't feel full, even though it was quite a bit of food.  I'm drinking a ton of water and tea.  I finally decided to eat the following, which was supposed to be part of my breakfast tomorrow:

S: Hash about 2/3 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil) and I added a few tsp of coconut milk.

I feel like I had a ton of food, but just don't feel satiated, at all.  Hopefully this is just growing pains...

This is more difficult than I thought my first day would be. I've been starving all day (when I haven't been nauseous).

My breakfast never filled me up and by 11am I was ravenous. I held off eating until 1pm, but by then I was feeling really nauseous. I ate anyway, but still didn't feel full, even though it was quite a bit of food. I'm drinking a ton of water and tea. I finally decided to eat the following, which was supposed to be part of my breakfast tomorrow:

S: Hash about 2/3 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil) and I added a few tsp of coconut milk.

I feel like I had a ton of food, but just don't feel satiated, at all. Hopefully this is just growing pains...
You shouldn't be starving!! Consider increasing your portions tomorrow - protein and fat are the things that'll keep you satisfied, but you also want to make sure you're getting enough vegies. Perhaps have more protein/fat at breakfast, and aim for 2-3 cups vegies. People notice that a substantial breakfast will keep them satisfied more throughout the day compared to trying to "catch up" with more food later in the day

Your snack was perfect though for the times you're starving between meals - it was a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies :)

Thanks, Amberino!

I definitely had 2-3 cups of veggies with every meal, some were just cooked into the dish. I think I might be light on fat/protein, as suggested. Tomorrow I'm going to eat a bigger portion of the hash and then if I'm still hungry, I'm going to have a HB egg with homemade mayo.

I'm so used to low fat and portion control (WeightWatchers for a few years) that this is a totally new world for me.

I felt like my dinner might be low on fat, so I added a small handful of berries with coconut milk.

Day 2

Today I'm feeling a bit better.  I'm starting to wonder if I had a teensy hangover yesterday from my "no wine for 30 days" overindulgence.  I added more food to breakfast, maybe even overate a little, but I didn't want to have that starving all day thing again.  I'll keep playing with portions until I get breakfast sorted out.  Still fairly full at noon and I plan to eat at 1pm.  Also feeling a bit backed up, guess I'll increase the natural calm to 3/4 tsp tonight.

One strange note: Everything is tasting burnt to me.   Zucchini soup, coffee - very strange.

Also, started to get a bit of a headache, hope that won't settle in...

M1(A)-8:15am - Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup; waited 20 minutes and then had a HB egg with homemade mayo; Coffee with coconut milk (about 4 tsp)

M2(A)-1pm: Pumpkin Chicken Chili (has green peppers, onions, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash, with half an avocado and 1 cup of uncooked cauliflower

M3(P)-6ishpm: Chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, in a coconut milk curry with sweet potato (about 1/3)

WO: No run today, I am meeting up with a friend for drinks.  She may fall off her bar stool when I order a seltzer with lime.

Day 3

Hello carb flu.  Woke up tired and foggy and bloated.  Ugh.  Right on the timeline.

Drinks out went fine, seltzer with lime and I didn't even consider anything else.  I increased my Natural Calm dose to 1 tsp with some success this morning, thank goodness!

Yesterday I'm pretty sure I ate too much, need to find some balance.  So for breakfast I kept the increased amount of hash and dumped the HB egg with mayo.

Today I made it about 4 hours before I started to get hungry between M1 and M2.  But I'm noticing that my hunger is odd, with a big splash of nausea.  How can you be hungry and nauseous at once???

M1(A) 8:15am: Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup;  Coffee with coconut milk (about 1/4 cup)

M2(A)-1pm: Pumpkin Chicken Chili (has green peppers, onions, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash, 1 cup of uncooked cauliflower and 1/4 cup of raw carrots, 1 tbsp of compliant almond butter (forgot half avocado, wasn't crazy about having the almond butter, but managed to only have the 1 tbsp)

PostWO(P)-7ish pm: Grilled Chicken Breast, 1/3 large Sweet Potato

M3(P)-8ish pm: Chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, in a coconut milk curry with sweet potato (about 1/3)

Evening: 1/2 bottle Gingerade Kombucha

Before Bed: 1 tsp Natural Calm

Workout(P)-6ish: 5 mile run (did it!) (I may cut short if I'm still crashing, but would like to make it through as I've missed the last two days)

if it's any consolation, it doesn't look like you ate too much yesterday. 

RL, actually it is a consolation!  I just don't know how much to eat or not eat, and with my regularity issues, it is hard to gauge by my hunger.

Day 4

So the surprise for yesterday was that my run was the best I felt all day!  My paces were off, but I really enjoyed the run.  I think I was able to do something mindless, where the brain fog wasn't such an issue.  (However, eating post workout was extremely difficult.  Had to really force it and then I felt like I had a hard baseball in my stomach.)

I was in bed before 10 last night, which is good.  Tonight I am looking forward to a good 9 hours, since I have Fridays off (have to get up at 7 to get my son ready for school).

Today is a MUCH better day.  I'm really tired, but no brain fog and the bloating was much less.  Still not where I'd like to be, so I'm increasing Natural Calm to 1 1/2 tsp tonight.  

I'm a bit surprised that I'm not craving wine in the evenings.  I've been drinking some kombucha, which seems to be helping pass that time.  I expect the weekend to be much more difficult on this front.  What I have been craving is to weigh myself.  The scale just pops into my head at weird moments.  I tend to have chronic weigh in tendencies.

I didn't like how my morning went.  Over the last few years I've been controlling my calories by eating as little early in the day as possible, leaving me "extra" calories at night for drinking and "in case I get hungry".  For the first few days, I've been getting to work and eating right away.  Today I had a meeting first thing with my boss, so I didn't get to eat until almost 9:30.  Felt a bit nauseous by then.  Despite the fact that I was hungry at 12:30, I pushed myself and didn't eat until after 2 (working on project from morning meeting).  I have to be careful of that, because I think that is a bad pattern for me.  I was enjoying feeling really hungry (less is more, right?!?).

Tonight I'm going to the grocery store after work.  I'm expecting it to be somewhat astronomical, as I can't get to the grocery store next week (maybe a quick stop in for veg).

M1(A) 9:30am: Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup;  Coffee with coconut milk (about 1/4 cup)

M2(A)-2pm: Pumpkin Chicken Chili (has green peppers, onions, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash, 1 1/2 cups of uncooked cauliflower, 1 avocado (decided to jump in and eat the whole thing!  :rolleyes: )

M3(P)-7 pm: Chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, in a coconut milk curry with sweet potato (about 1/3)

Evening: 1/2 bottle Gingerade Kombucha

Before Bed: 1 1/2 tsps Natural Calm

W/O: No run, going to the grocery store

Wow you are doing great.  I started on the 9th and have similar goals.  The getting rid of the 1,2,3/night....reducing coffee to 1-2 cups/day (or less - a number of days, I've just had black tea)....I need to lose 15 lbs - maybe a little more.

I also have habitually put off eating as long as possible in the day (previously), to save up for the evening.  

I also got the natural calm but only tried it once.  Not sure about the taste.  Maybe it's acquired.  Need to keep working on that.  In the evening, I have had sleepy time tea and am liking that.

Good luck.  I hope yours and everyone elses' running inspiration might rub off.  What a great habit that I wish I had.  Good for you.

You are doing great!

Started the morning in a complete fog. It took me an extra hour to get to work. I had a totally uneventful day at work. I left at 3 p to get to Sam's club to pick up supplies. I had a moment of total crave for sugar and brought organic sugar free fruit puree drink. Then I looked up juice on the website and no I can't have it. Boo! I knew my biggest issue was going to be my sugar addiction. So, I used the halt method. I waited and ate some olives and cashews. Since we had soccer practice I didn't have much time to dwell on my desire for sugar. Once we got home again I had to rush dinner for the family. I had planned a quick dinner for myself and a different one for the kids. I had salmon cooked in olive oil, dill, garlic and kosher salt and cauliflower. I was totally stuffed and left some on the plate. I won. I beat the dragon back once again. Day 4 was a success! :)

Stubby - Thanks for stopping by!  It sounds like we are bad habit twins, I don't know if that's a good thing...  In my opinion the Natural Calm is awful tasting, but I'm choking it down in the interest of gastro health.  As for the running, I only started a year and a half ago.  I never thought I could be a runner.  I started with the C25k type program and worked my way up.  I have asthma and always thought that would keep me from running.  It feels like such an accomplishment to be able to run.

Jo - Looking good.  Keep it up, you are slaying those sugar dragons!  :D

Day 5

Woke up really, really tired, even after a good 8 1/2 hours.  I would love a nap right now.  No rest for the weary.  I expect to sleep in tomorrow, which I hope will help with the weariness.  I'm still having regularity issues, so I decided to add a couple of spoonfuls of sauerkraut (raw) to all meals.  Roasted a whole bunch of veggies last night, they smelled so yum.  Tried jicama for the first time.

Post WO(A)-9:30: Chicken breast and sweet potato (1/3)

M1(A)-11:15: HB Egg with mayo, two chicken sausages, and about a cup of roasted veggies  (this meal was a little light on everything, but especially veggies, timing was off because of my run), 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

M2(A)-3:30: Chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, in a coconut milk curry with sweet potato (about 1/3)  (again, this was a bit light, small serving, but I need to ear around 6:30) 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut; small handful of berries in coconut milk

M3(P)-6:30: Salmon, salad with O&V, 1 cup roasted veg,1/2 cup raw cauli, 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

Evening: 1/2-1? bottle Gingerade Kombucha

Before Bed: 2 tsps Natural Calm (upping this again, still no relief  :o )

W/O: 5 1/2 mile run

Day 6

Still pretty tired today.  I had some trouble falling asleep, lots of running to the bathroom to pee (looks like kombucha and natural calm are diuretics, will have to consider that).  Then some strange dreams.  My husband let me sleep in this morning, wihoo.

I have my breakfasts made and frozen (at least for work days) for the next two weeks, which feels great.  I'm making chocolate chili and cooking up some veggies later today.  I'm tearing through vegetables.  It is great, but hard to keep stocked.  I already ate all my roasted veggies I made the other night.

Lots of cleaning today.  DH got garlic planted.  We need to pick lettuce, spinach, swiss chard and peppers from the garden.

M1(A)-10(slept until 9:30  :o ): two eggs with swiss chard, one chicken sausage, and about a cup of roasted veggies (this was too light, I was hungry within two hours); coffee with coconut milk; couple of spoonfuls of sauerkraut

M2(A)-2:30: Chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, sweet potato in a coconut milk curry (big portion); one egg, 1/4 avocado, dollop of mayo, splash of vinegar mixed over spring greens; couple spoonfuls of sauerkraut

M3(P)-6:30: Grilled Chicken, Garlic roasted broccoli, guacamole, and I swear I had another veggie, can't remember what

Evening- Kombucha 1/2 bottle

Before bed: Natural Calm (2 tsp) At last, success!!!   :lol: 

WO: Skipped today, lots of cleaning.  My workout yesterday was pretty tough.  My legs were really tired and just didn't want to get going.  I felt unusually sore today, so I decided not to push it.

Day 7

Feeling a little less tired today.  Still not feeling 100%, but I'm not sure how much of that is seasonal allergies kicking in, I'm definitely having some sinus issues.  Still running to the bathroom a lot last night, but not as much as the night before.  I guess I'm going to have to try moving the kombucha to a different time of day.  Or go back to the 1/3 of a bottle I was having at night before.  Maybe I could mix it with seltzer, not sure if that would delete any of the good effects?

Tonight is dinner at the IL's.  I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into let's discuss what Jo and Sara are eating and everyone weigh in with their opinions.  But it might.  I have my meal packed up and ready to go.

Post WO(A)-10:45: Chicken breast, sweet potato 1/3 of large

M1(A)-12:15: Two eggs, 3/4 avocado, dollop of mayo, splash of vinegar mixed over spring greens, two chicken sausages, about a cup of raw cauliflower; couple spoonfuls of sauerkraut; two coffees with coconut milk

M2(P)-5:00: Grilled Chicken, Garlic roasted broccoli, 1/2 avocado, cauli rice, 1/3 sweet potato and salad with O&V

M3 - I don't think this is going to happen, unless I have a mini meal at some point.  I tried to have at the high end of the template for M1 and M2 to compensate for the missing meal.

Evening- Kombucha 1/3 bottle with seltzer?, maybe some more in the afternoon

Before bed: Natural Calm (2 tsp) No success so far today, so if nothing changes, I will increase to 2 1/2 tsp

WO: 6.5 mile run.  Today is usually my longer run 8-9 miles.  Between my allergies and my energy level and soreness, I decided to go with 6.5.  I think it was a good choice.  My paces were pretty much back to normal, but I was dragging by the end of the run.  Also, it was definitely more effort to get in my paces, but at least they were possible.

It wasn't too bad. You were right it was Timothy and Shawn with the most comments. Not bad, more teasing. Oh well, this is for the long haul so they should get use to it. I feel more positive about whole 30 today. Last week was more a "I can't have ..." Mourning the loss of junk food. Over the weekend it wasn't on my mind as much as the first few days. Even with the apple crisp last night. I usually go look at the junk food I can't have and sigh "woe is me" but not last night. Moving along. Meal 1 fish and caggage (yum) have a good day:)

stubby - Dinner went pretty well.  As Jo mentioned above, it was mostly our husbands mentioning it, and they were mostly teasing.  It would have been better if I could have managed to not fling my chicken and avocado into the giant pan of lasagna!   :lol:

Jo - Yay on feeling more positive!!!  That's awesome.  I think that was the main thing Nana said to me, no apple crisp, you're the one that likes that!  Oh well...

Day 8

Horrible sleep last night.  I was up way past 1am.  Why is Natural Calm doing nothing for me?  I haven't had this much trouble falling asleep in years.  I had about 1/3 bottle of Kombucha about 2pm and none in the evening.  I did have a cup of rooibos tea before bed.  But I don't think the bathroom was keeping me up last night.  I had a work meeting this morning that I was nervous about, so maybe that was the issue?

So despite very little sleep last night, I woke up feeling not too bad.  Much less hangover-y than I have felt for the past week.  Hopefully that means things are improving.  My body is still not wanting to get regular, ugh, so frustrating.  So with my horrible backed up bloating, once again I am meeting the timeline right on schedule, pants are tight.

M1(A)-9:15 (late, I know, meeting first thing): Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach, cabbage, and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup;  Coffee with coconut milk (about 1/8 cup); 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

M2(P)-1:15pm: Chocolate Chili (has onions, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash, 1 cups of uncooked cauliflower, 1 avocado;

Post WO-7:15: Chicken breast and 1/3 sweet potato

M3(P)-8:15 pm: Chicken breast, broccoli in a coconut milk curry over cauliflower rice; 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

Evening: water

Before Bed: 3 tsps Natural Calm (not sure if I should continue on with this..., no noticeable help on sleep or regularity issues)

W/O: 4.75 mile run

Day 9

Weird sleep last night.  Better than the last few nights, but still not great.  I ate way too close to bedtime, which I'm sure didn't help.  I'm not sure how to get around that when I work out at night (and some days that is the only time I can workout).

Stomach issues continue.  Yesterday was one big nausea-fest.  Felt pretty bad all day.  Tonight I'm picking up some digestive enzymes.  Let's see if that, in combination with the magnesium, helps.

Run last night was very interesting.  The first four miles were great, I felt good, really strong.  The last mile was a death-march, up the huge hill to my house.  I guess this is my body not quite adapted to fat-burning for fuel and not finding as much easy to access carbs.  But those first four miles were really fantastic.

I am still surprised at my lack of cravings for wine.  Not upset about it at all, but definitely surprised.  I'm not surprised that I haven't missed snacking too much, I've either been full or nauseous.

So continuing to carry on carrying on.

M1(A)-8:30: Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach, cabbage, and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup;  Coffee with coconut milk (about 1/8 cup); 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

M2(A)-1:30pm: Chocolate Chili (has onions, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash, 1 cups of uncooked cauliflower, 2/3 avocado; 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

M3(P)-6:15 pm: Chicken breast, broccoli in a coconut milk curry over cauliflower rice or something similar; 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut; adding digestive enzymes starting with this meal; oops, forgot braised cabbage wedge

Evening: Kombucha 1/2 bottle - brother coming over to visit, this will make me feel more social

Before Bed: 3 tsps Natural Calm (a little relief today, so will continue on with this dose)

W/O: No w/o planned day off plus visit from our of town brother

Day 10

I had a great night catching up with my brother, I miss him.  Stayed up too late, but I felt like I slept better than I have in quite awhile (maybe since I started the W30?).

I did stop and pick up digestive enzymes last night.  I'll be taking one with every meal to start.  I'll give that a couple of days and then ramp it up to two if necessary.  I'm already taking 3 tsp of natural calm each night, and I'm a little nervous to go much higher than that.  But I'm still bloated and having tummy troubles.

I'm feeling positive about everything, although reading back, I think my log sounds negative.  I'm having no real issues with the food or cravings, which I'm really happy about.  The tummy/sleep issues have been a bit of a hurdle and I'm hoping to have them under control sooner, rather than later.

Looking forward to getting to sleep in three days this weekend, hopefully that will take care of my sleep issues.  :)

M1(A)-9:15: Frittata 1/8 slice (eggs, chicken sausage, spinach cooked in coconut oil), Hash about 1 1/2 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach, cabbage, and onions, cooked in coconut oil), and 3/4 cup zucchini ginger soup;  Coffee with coconut milk (about 1/8 cup); 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

M2(A)-1:30pm: Chicken Chili over spaghetti squash, 1 cup of uncooked cauliflower, 1/2 avocado; 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut

Post W/O-7:15: Chicken breast and sweet potato (might be carrots, as I think I'm out of cooked sweet potato)

M3(P)-6:45 pm: Chicken breast, broccoli in a coconut milk curry over cauliflower rice; 2 spoonfuls sauerkraut; braised cabbage wedge

Evening: Kombucha 1/2 bottle (no ill effects from last night, so might try this again)

Before Bed: 3 tsps Natural Calm (a little relief today, so will continue on with this dose)

W/O: 5 mile run  Life happened and this run didn't, but I'm looking forward to a nice long run on Friday!

Sara, have you considered it's what you're eating giving you the stomach issues?

You eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage which can cause issues, especially if you're eating them raw. Too much fibre can cause just as many issues as too little and block you up. You may also have an issue with FODMAPs, which would include these vegies along with onion, garlic and many others.

Perhaps try changing your vegies for a few days and see how you go?

amberino21 - I have not considered that at all!  At all.  And look at my dinners lately, FODMAP-crazy!  Hmm..., I would say I'm eating most of my veggies cooked, except at lunch.  You've given me a lot to think about.  I'm going to swap out my raw cauli at lunch today for the steamable frozen veg mix I have in the freezer here at work, but of course it is broc and cauli.  I'll have to see what I can do about switching up my veggies.  I'll do the best I can over this long weekend, but then when I get back, I'll have to try to come up with some new veggie combos.  I'm definitely open to trying out some new things if it will help with my digestive troubles.  Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Archived