New to Whole 30!

leedslass

Good Morning guys and gals, 

I'll be starting Whole 30 tomorrow, Tuesday 15th October. I've been dancing with Paleo style eating off and on for about six months but haven't made a proper commitment to cleaning up my diet and giving up processed foods. Well, I decided that tomorrow I'm going to go all in and do a Whole 30.

A bit of background about myself. I'm a full time college student, married with no kids. I have pcos, am insulin resistance and am obese. I'm also an emotional eater with a dependancy on food.

Everything I had read in It Starts With Food made sense to me about breaking the attachment with modern day franken-foods, which is what attracted me to the Whole 30 program. If I lose some weight that will be the icing on the cake, my main goal is to develop a new relationship with food and to clean up my blood chemistry.

My name is Lynne and it's nice to meet you.

Bebe taps, There are links on this site or you can google search "Whole30 meal template" "whole30 shopping lists" etc. I highly recommended reading "it starts with food" though! You will not be disappointed as it is a very valuable resource!

Lynne, I am starting another W30 tmw also. I finished one 2weeks ago and have been off the rails since, so needing the all or nothing approach again. Best of luck to you both!

Hi Lynne. I'm a newbie too and starting tomorrow as well. I'm happy to have someone else starting on the same day as I really want to feel accountable. I don't want to "hope" to do well...I just am going to do it.

I have also been playing at paleo for months. I love Nourishing Traditions cookbook and use it as a reference for lots of healthful eating but recently, I've been eating entirely too much sugar and need it OUT for awhile. I am already gluten free as I feel awful and look super bloated when i eat gluten. I won't be giving up coffee in the morning though but I will use coconut milk in it instead of dairy.

I am a mom of three and currently breastfeeding twins, so I have to make sure that I am eating enough. on this plan, I won't be able to just pop some junk in my mouth because I'm too busy too eat more healthful foods. I have Graves' disease (autoimmune thyroid disease) and I'm hoping that this plan will help me get back into remission (post pregnancy causes flare ups). There is a lot f research on the link between diet and autoimmune diseases.

Anyway, my daytime computer minutes have been all used up...my kids are calling. It's nice to be on here with other people who need to make similar changes.

Jessica

Good luck to you all! Before I did the whole30 I was on a Paleo-ish lifestyle but needed to cut out some of the bad habits I had developed. The resources on this site are great and I also read 'It Starts With Food' during my whole30 (day 30 today!). It was so eye-opening and I do like this way of eating now.

Have a great journey!

Bebe Taps, the book really helped me understand the science behind why I eat like I do. It also gave me an insight into why eating whole30 is going to be better for my health in the long run. I really recommend reading "It Starts With Food", however, you could probably read it as you are doing the plan. There is a wealth of information on this site, food plans etc.

Welcome to Whole30 Lynn.

Well done you for taking the plunge and committing to start W30.

I'm on Day 8 of my first W30 and feeling great. I've just bought the Well Fed cookbook from Amazon which is full of W30 compliant recipes.

I've been eating 'real' food for the last 2.5 years, when I gave up eating wheat the arthritis in my hands vanished in a few months. I've been following The Harcombe Diet which has a lot in common with W30. But over the last year I've gained 1.5st due to too much wasting out, trips abroad and generally letting base habits creep in.

I decided I really needed to do something before more weight crept on and as another Harcombe diet had just done her first W30 and loved it, I decided to bite the bullet.

Planning is the key, try to plans your meals, cook extra so you have leftovers for meals. I love that I can have some fruit and nuts too on occasion.

I've been cooking with ghee and coconut oil too which give meat a lovely richness. I can't afford organic meat but when I buy mince (ground meat) I always drain off the fat which is fine.

I'm sure Whole30 will change your life as it had so many others.

Ruthie

PS I'm in the UK too in West London

Hey leedslass. I'm just checking in with you. Day 4 and I have more energy than ever! I really hope this lasts because this level of energy is awesome. If only, it would stop raining so I could go for a nice long walk with my kids! I had a hard morning but upped my meals and fat and it really helped. I'm sure that it is a litle easier that I am eating 5 meals a day instead of 3. Hope that the beginning of your journey is going well.

All the best.

Archived