Difference between light workouts and athletes

spage4

I wouldn't say that I'm an athlete but I do workout 4-5 times a week.  I do light jogging with a mix of running, cycling, or elliptical.  I also do weights and ab workouts but nothing intense like CrossFit.  Do you still recommend eating the carbs post WO even though my workouts aren't as hardcore?

How long are you workouts? A light jog can be 1/2 mi or 5.

I swim an hour 3x per week, run 3mi+ 3x week and try to ride my bike here and there.i find increased carbs are necessary for the energy I need for my swims and runs. I would base your decision on how you feel. If you are struggling thru your runs, then you need more carbs.

I read somewhere on here that if you have a lot of weight to lose the post w-o carbs are unnecessary. I don't bother with them as I have about 70lbs to shift. And I would find it hard to have a meal so close to what is basically a snack, as suggested in the guidelines. 

I would be interested to know this as well.

My workouts are normally 25 minutes - Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred so am dripping with sweat after. I don't need to really lose any more weight but would really like to tone up the abs, and legs and bum. 

How much carbohydrates should I go for?

I would be interested to know this as well.

My workouts are normally 25 minutes - Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred so am dripping with sweat after. I don't need to really lose any more weight but would really like to tone up the abs, and legs and bum.

How much carbohydrates should I go for?

"Toning" (one of my most hated gym words) is really more about fat loss to "uncover" the muscles, rather than muscle gain. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, the fat will come off where and when it wants! Most women will likely lose fat from the top down.

Incorporating carbs is helpful when trying to grow muscle, maybe not so much if fat loss is your aim. In overall recovery I'd stick with protein and carbs every time, unless you have very specific goals that require you to lose fat. These goals are usually at the detriment to your health, so not really something to take lightly.

Ugh, guys...if you're doing a workout, you get your extra mini meals. Eat them. Don't question if your workout is "worth it," don't ask "how much."

Use the meal templates, eat full meals with a protein, veggie and carb.

Don't over think it!

Karyna, I'm not sure what you mean by "toning muscle". What are you trying to achieve?

You mentioned your abs before - for most women, achieving and sustaining visible abs means having a bf% that is too low to be healthy long term. I think you mentioned thinking about trying to have another baby in another thread....if you're already in a healthy bf% range, forcing your body lower isn't going to help you in this regard!

I read somewhere on here that if you have a lot of weight to lose the post w-o carbs are unnecessary. 

That is (potentially) absolutely not true. 

When you work your muscles your burn glycogen. In order for your muscle to repair and rebuild from that workout you need protein and carbs. Protein is for the repair/rebuild and carbs are to replenish the glycogen stores...otherwise your next work out, or the following one, is going to suck hard and you will not see the gains that you want in muscle tone/ strength. 

Now if you are just doing an easy stroll around the block or on the treadmill then you only eat as much carbs as is needed to feel good...no need to replenish glycogen. Slow and steady is fat burning mode. Muscle work is a different animal.

Does this make sense? 

Along the same lines what is the "carb curve" mentioned in the meal template? It says in post wo to eat carbs according to the carb curve. I've searched the site everywhere and can't find it. I wouldn't consider myself an athlete but I wokr out hard 5 days a week and play soccer on the 6th day. Today is day 3 for me and I'm hungry between meal 2 and meal 3. I'll be adding workout meals tomorrow but want ot make sure I'm including the right amount of carbs.

*Disclaimer - I'm a food junkie so I can't just "have what I want" or I will binge. Not ok. So I only want to pack what I need. I'm thinking I'll pack two eggs and mashed sweet potatoes for post workout, and have a grilled chicken lettuce wrap on my way into the gym?

When would I have breakfast? I wake up at 4:30, drive to work/gym, workout 6:30-6:45. The day is free to eat whenever I need to but my husband likes dinner served by 6pm.  Thoughts?

Sorry if I hijacked this post!

Sarah, the best pre and post workout snacks are as follows: Pre WO - fat and a little protein. Eggs are perfect. I usually have a hard-boiled egg or mash the yolk with avo/guac and call it a deviled egg.  Post WO you want carbs and lean protein in a 4:1 ratio. 

The reason is that when you work out you are training your body to burn fat as fuel...if you have a lot of sugar floating around (if you ate an apple or something carby) then that is what your body will rely on. After your workout you want to replenish glycogen stores and have lean protein to repair your muscles.

Looking at your schedule I would say eat a HB egg before the gym then within 30 mins have some chicken & sweet pot. A small portion is fine. After about an hour I am usually ready for the next meal.

ChickenNoodle - awesome! Thank you! This works out great because I can have the eggs premade and grab as a I go then have my post wo pack with the rest of my meals for the day. I have gotten into a horrible habit of not eating before working out because I have to eat that meal in the car. I know that's an excuse and I could wake up 30 minutes earlier to have a real sit down affair but I need my sleep!

Thanks again!

After your workout you want to replenish glycogen stores and have lean protein to repair your muscles.

This is the bit I am confused about. If I have a lot of weight to lose and always thought that it would be better for my body to use fat as fuel rather than eating carbs to replace glycogen. Or am I totally in the wrong track? 

I don't do much cardio at the gym - only 5 minutes walking as a warm up. I tend to do short and sharp workouts like 30 minutes kettlebell routines or free weights. Sometimes I will do 30 minutes of HIIT on a bike. 

Sharyn, for an hour work out you do need to replenish some glycogen.

Glucose is stored as glycogen in your liver and your muscles for later use. If your body does not need it then it is stored as fat...so yes, too much is not beneficial. However...when you are lifting and doing tougher workouts (vs a leisurely walk with your dog and hubby, for which you do not need more carbs) then you need to replenish the glycogen stores for your next work out.

On non work out days you can probably eat minimal carbs but after a decent work out, an hour or more of moderate intensity, then you need to refuel for next time.

Slow and steady exercise does not require extra carbs or glycogen....you just burn fat.

So if your goal is to lose fat, keep your carbs to a minimum, meaning not lower than what is required to feel good. Your brain and nervous system still need glycogen, so it is important, they just don't need a lot. Everyone is different. If you feel good the way you are eating then you are on track....but if you are tending to feel a little depleted during your workouts or are not seeing the gains you want then try upping your carb intake a little bit.

Personally when my carb intake is too low, my weight loss stalls and I have lousy workouts, feeling like there is just no gas in the tank! I add in more carbs and my body fat drops and my workouts are great. Finding the balance is the key!

Along the same lines what is the "carb curve" mentioned in the meal template? It says in post wo to eat carbs according to the carb curve. I've searched the site everywhere and can't find it. I wouldn't consider myself an athlete but I wokr out hard 5 days a week and play soccer on the 6th day. Today is day 3 for me and I'm hungry between meal 2 and meal 3. I'll be adding workout meals tomorrow but want ot make sure I'm including the right amount of carbs.

*Disclaimer - I'm a food junkie so I can't just "have what I want" or I will binge. Not ok. So I only want to pack what I need. I'm thinking I'll pack two eggs and mashed sweet potatoes for post workout, and have a grilled chicken lettuce wrap on my way into the gym?

When would I have breakfast? I wake up at 4:30, drive to work/gym, workout 6:30-6:45. The day is free to eat whenever I need to but my husband likes dinner served by 6pm. Thoughts?

Sorry if I hijacked this post!

You definitely need pre/postWO meals. As chicken noodle suggested, swap your plan around for protein/fat - the template suggests half a meal size of protein and a little fat - then postWO is a meal sized portion of lean protein and starchy vegie carbs. With your workout routine, I'd suggest a decent serving of carbs to help with the refuel and recovery process.

Have meal one later. As silly as it sounds, having a more substantial breakfast/meal 1 will likely help your hunger between meal 2&3. How much are you eating for your first meal?

If you ate postWO at 730, perhaps have meal 1 at 9, meal 2 at 130 and dinner at 6? If you're waking up at 430, bed by 8/830 is probably a good idea, and will give you long enough to digest your food.

amberino21 - Thank you!!! I had been having a nice size slice of a fritta packed with various veggies over a bed of argula.

After the advice provided here I switched things up today and left the house with a big bag of prepped meals (I kind of feel bad for having so much food!)

Pre wo (drive to work/gym) - two hb eggs and quarter of an avacado

Post wo - fritta and about 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes

Breakfast - turkery patty with olives, tomatoes, and roasted red peppers, over a bed of mix greens (I love salads)

Lunch - 1 1/2 palms diced grilled chicken over large salad with mixed greens, cucumbers, cauliflower, tomatoes, and radish.

Dinner - grilled lemon chicken breast, cucmber and tomato salad, roast cauliflower.

The sugar cravings are in full effect... not listening to them. Looking forward to the day when they go away.

amberino21 - Thank you!!! I had been having a nice size slice of a fritta packed with various veggies over a bed of argula.

After the advice provided here I switched things up today and left the house with a big bag of prepped meals (I kind of feel bad for having so much food!)

Pre wo (drive to work/gym) - two hb eggs and quarter of an avacado

Post wo - fritta and about 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes

Breakfast - turkery patty with olives, tomatoes, and roasted red peppers, over a bed of mix greens (I love salads)

Lunch - 1 1/2 palms diced grilled chicken over large salad with mixed greens, cucumbers, cauliflower, tomatoes, and radish.

Dinner - grilled lemon chicken breast, cucmber and tomato salad, roast cauliflower.

The sugar cravings are in full effect... not listening to them. Looking forward to the day when they go away.

Sounds great!! Packing your meals for the day is the best way to stay on track :) are you including fats with meal 2&3?

Amberino21 - I put about a thumbs worth of Tessame dressing on meal 2 and plan to do the same with meal 3 on the cucumbers. Is that an acceptable amount or should I add an eating fat like avacado?  I made a delish guac the other day and used that in place of dressing which was fabulous but wanted to mix things ups.

Amberino21 - I put about a thumbs worth of Tessame dressing on meal 2 and plan to do the same with meal 3 on the cucumbers. Is that an acceptable amount or should I add an eating fat like avacado? I made a delish guac the other day and used that in place of dressing which was fabulous but wanted to mix things ups.

I'm not sure what's in the dressing, but I'd imagine it's not all fat - 1 tablespoon really isn't that much, especially as some will likely not end up in your mouth! I prefer "eating" fat like you say, or stuff that "sticks" better like mayo or coconut butter.

Amberino21 - Good call. I'll switch that up.

Also- how do you balance fat intake with the fat used in cooking? For exapmle if I add oil to a pan to cook some chicken, the chicken isn't soaking up all the oil so how do you account for that? Is cooking in fat enough to not add more fat to a meal? I've tried finding something that address it but so far no luck.

Amberino21 - Good call. I'll switch that up.

Also- how do you balance fat intake with the fat used in cooking? For exapmle if I add oil to a pan to cook some chicken, the chicken isn't soaking up all the oil so how do you account for that? Is cooking in fat enough to not add more fat to a meal? I've tried finding something that address it but so far no luck.

Cooking fat doesn't account for a lot, most is left in the pan. Cooking method will effect how much ends up on the plate - scrambled eggs may "absorb" more than fried eggs for example. I wouldn't rely on cooking fat being enough to not include extra on your meal...

Archived