Whole30 2.0 - Moderation Management

Emily T

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been missing in action the last few days! Its been an absolutely crazy week with work and I also have to admit I fell off the wagon a bit.

Tuesday, I worked an event for my organization and ended up being seated for the dinner portion, which included a salad, chicken breast, and some wild rice (I skipped the bread and crackers). All was well until the dessert portion started. I do not really know why I had dessert, but I did! Sometimes I just make these total impulse decisions and its so ridiculous. I went through this a lot when I quit smoking, too.

Wednesday I was on track. I don't remember what all I ate, but I think I had my usual breakfast, stuffed sweet potatoes with a salad for lunch, and salad and baked chicken for dinner.

Thursday I had usual breakfast. For lunch I was out to eat, and I had a poached pear salad with chicken, candied pecans, goat cheese, and mixed greens. Also had sweet potato fries with ketchup. For dinner I had a salad with roasted turkey and some delicious dressing. but we had our office holiday party and I had a few vodka-sodas. Okay, four vodka-sodas. What. The. Hell. Again with the impulse decisions. 

Friday I was a little under the weather (tired and puffy but not nauseas, dizzy and sick). I will say it was not nearly as bad as when I drink champagne, wine, beer, or bourbon. Which is a huge bummer because boy do I love bourbon and champagne. It used to be that bourbon was the only thing that did not give me a hangover. Even so, no matter what I drink, I think I need to do better at keeping it to 2-3 drinks max to minimize the hangover. 

Well, if you want to kill a hangover, eating the whole30 way can definitely help a lot and will reduce the recovery time, at least in my experience. Unfortunately, I did not eat the whole30 way, instead stuffing my face with leftover cookies. I pulled it together for lunch and had a cobb salad, and for dinner chicken salad with greens. 

So where do I even go from here? The holidays are hard. Having cookies and champagne and parties and events make it difficult to stay compliant. I told myself I would do my best and not be too hard on myself, but I cannot say I am not disappointed with my choices. I had hoped to be compliant until I travel home next Friday. I'm repledging myself to that, but it comes back to this central question: why do I make such impulsive, unhealthy decisions all the time?

Anyway - Saturday, Day 14

Breakfast: Skipped it. I went to the farmers market and barre class.

Lunch: Chicken salad (mayo, pecans, sesame seeds, chicken, apples, vinegar), sweet potato fries (baked in olive oil) with paleo ketchup and chipotle mayo

Dinner: My mom's famous chili (tomatoes, peppers, onions, ground beef, kidney beans, honey) and a big green salad. 

Snow day, schmoe day.  No days off for me.  I have two sisters in the DC area and they got off Monday and Tuesday.

BTW, I really like your new avatar.

Bone broth is cooking as I type!   :)

DC snow days are pathetic!!!! 

Re: the pic - thanks! From a Christmas party last week!

How are you liking the bone broth? Has it improved your health at all? I swear, even if it did nothing for my digestion, its worth it for the impact on my scalp and nails and hair. 

Day 15

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes (pumpkin, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil, spices) with butter and maple syrup

Lunch - Chili (tomatoes, peppers, onions, ground beef, kidney beans, honey) and a big green salad. 

God those pancakes are sooooo good. I had to force myself to stop eating them!!!

I have to try making those pancakes.

Do you drink your bone broth plain?  Mine had a bit of a funny taste.  I added it to my weekday breakfast soup and also my chocolate chili, and really like it in both of those.  Maybe it is just the beef/marrow I'm not loving?

Okay, glad to hear I'm not the only one.  As of right now, I'm trying to use it in things (much more palatable).  I like the idea of what I can get from it, but it really was funny tasting.  I'll have to keep thinking on it.   Maybe chicken bones would be better?

Since you are a local (at least for the moment), I wanted to share how excited I am - I just found out I got into the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Race!  I've never done a large race before, so this should be pretty crazy for me.

Congrats! Thats pretty cool! I do not run at all. Like ever. I am so impressed by people who do.

Day 16

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes, maple syrup, butter, yogurt, apples

Lunch - Fiesta tuna salad (tuna, mayo, red pepper, tomatoes, scallions, jalapenos) over mixed greens

Afternoon - I had two small pieces of chocolate. Sigh. The holidays!!!! 

Dinner - my friend and I had our annual Christmas date night with dinner at a fancy restaurant and a night at the symphony. Mixed green salad with cucumbers and tomatoes and a balsamic dressing; filet mignon with red wine sauce, green beans and butternut squash-mashed potatoes. A square of lindt dark chocolate. 

I also had a cocktail at dinner - it included bourbon and apple cider. I very rarely just have one drink so I always assumed my bad reaction to alcohol is that I am drinking too much alcohol. But within 20 mins of my drink, I was getting stuffed up. Within an hour, I was sleepy. Within 90 minutes, I had a terrible headache and was really cranky. It was like I was getting a hangover. This to me is just very clear evidence that I have some severe aversion to alcohol even in very small quantities. I am considering going to an allerginist to get it checked out. Its really disappointing to me because it suggests I need to abstain from alcohol entirely, for life. 

Lunch - Fiesta tuna salad (tuna, mayo, red pepper, tomatoes, scallions, jalapenos) over mixed greens

Afternoon - I ate a bunch of cheese, crackers, hummus, salami, and cookies at an office birthday party. 

Dinner - Leftover krapow chicken 

Re the cookies/crackers: Again, WTF?? I think that one of the things I am learning (slowly) is how to accept my mistakes and not HATE myself for them. But I also think that by going "easier" on myself, I end up making excuses for my behavior. Half of my brain is like, "Its Christmas, stop berating yourself and feeling so ANGRY about it. You cannot expect perfection. Its no use to feel that kind of self-loathing." The other half is like, "How can you expect to heal and feel better if you do this? You keep messing up because you keep making excuses! You suck!" Its frustrating. 

I can identify with your sentiment. I also give myself some latitude and am frustrated later because giving in to myself (a glass or two of red wine) was exactly what I was NOT going to do. I think I was raised during a time (50s and 60s) of blame and shame and a time when cocktails or wine or happy hour would have only been the activity of the problem drinkers.

And, I'm reminded of someplace in scripture where the apostle Paul talks about doing exactly what he had not intended to do and Paul was a pretty amazing guy. Perfectionism is frustrating. Only God is perfect and yet we try to be perfect and fail miserably. It's not going to happen (being perfect) and we need to figure out how to accept it without using acceptance as a crutch for sabatoging a better more disciplined life. I've been happiest on the nights when I go to bed tired and knowing it has nothing to do with red wine. And I sincerely want more happiness. Lets not forget alcohol is a depressant. Some of these self-loathing thoughts we have could be as a direct result of the alcohol.

Not sure where this is going really,except, "I hear ya. I experience the same thing." And, I really think it is about two things: striving each day for moderation management and forgiveness when we don't achieve it. Or maybe it's about I'm ok you're ok and we just don't really believe it yet.

Take care!! Merry Christmas!!

The running thing, I never thought I could run.  I have asthma and it is still amazing to me that I can run farther than 50 feet!

I think you need to find some sort of balance.  I read something along the lines of, if you decide to eat something, eat and enjoy it; if you decide not to eat it, get over it.  Beating yourself up isn't going to help anything.  I think trying to think of it as a choice instead of a mistake might be a good start.

I know over the next couple of weeks I will be off-roading with wine/drinking, probably a lot.  I know it, I know it is going to impact health, my health improvements, etc.  But this is also a special time of year and having a glass of wine with my family is part of the holiday to me.  I am not (going to try not) to feel guilty about it.  January will be here before we know it and I plan to have a really clean January.

Hang in there.  Think about how you are doing compared to last year.  Do you see improvements in your eating?

And remember, if you CHOOSE to eat it, then eat it, and let it go.

You're so right, Sara! Eat it (or drink it if that's the case), enjoy it without regret, and don't look back, only ahead. Beating yourself up, as you say, not only doesn't help anything, it actually can physically hurt you by creating or adding to inflammation.

It's really a mindset. Make the decision, take a deep breath (or two), really enjoy it, and move on. I appreciate your post and need to embrace it myself.

Hi! I enjoy your thread a lot and see a lot of similarities between us. I wanted to mention a strange reaction I have to gluten, 2 days after eating it I go off the rails with my eating. I eat anything in sight and then go through the spiral of blaming myself, etc. Even if I drink too much or what I thought used to be triggers for "screw it, I'm eating this!" - I don't go off plan (whatever I've decided the plan is food wise) unless I had gluten 2 days prior. I don't have problems with paleo baked foods or gluten free whatever so I know it's the gluten and not the actual thing (bagels, bread, cookies etc). So weird I know but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

.katherine

This forum is so inspiring at times. It comes down to owning your choices. I am not perfect, I never will be, but I am doing pretty darn well.

At the beginning of this year, I was stressed, had low self-esteem, a smoker, and overweight. I was in an unhappy relationship and I was depressed. The changes I have made this year are astounding. 

In 2013, I dropped around 10-13 lbs (my guess, because I also stopped weighing myself!!!!). I quit smoking. I dropped at least one and maybe two dress sizes. I started working out regularly for the first time in years. I did not quit drinking but I have cut down significantly. 

On a personal level, I started journaling. I've made strides in changing my career. I left a relationship that was sucking the happiness out of my life. I have reduced anxiety and depression on all counts. I gained confidence in my appearance and in my self. I stopped hating my body. I need to repeat that one because its a big one: I stopped hating my body.

I began to enjoy simple comforts, like the joy of waking up with the sunrise instead of with a jarring alarm clock. Drinking warm tea and reading. Dancing in my room in my underwear. Getting up at 7AM to hit the farmers market so I could spend the day trying delicious new recipes. Trying new things I started taking risks and doing things outside of my comfort zone. 

2013 was the most life-changing year I have ever had. In some ways, its too much too soon and I need to realize it will take time to make sure these changes are incorporated into my day-to-day life. Its easy to be angry at myself for eating cookies, but I am going to stay focused on the fantastic accomplishments I have made and look forward to 2014 as a year to make sure these changes stick. 

On a personal level, I started journaling. I've made strides in changing my career. I left a relationship that was sucking the happiness out of my life. I have reduced anxiety and depression on all counts. I gained confidence in my appearance and in my self. I stopped hating my body. I need to repeat that one because its a big one: I stopped hating my body.

Emily, I love this!!!  You have come so far, continue to love yourself and speak to yourself like you would speak to anyone else you love.   Huge, huge progress.  What's a night of less than stellar eating compared to what you wrote above?   :wub:

Day 18

Lunch - Autumn salad with bacon, apples, pecans, goat cheese with EVOO and balsamic

Afternoon - Veggies with hummus, cookies at an office party

Dinner - Chili with sour cream and cheese

Day 19

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes, raspberry jam (skipped the syrup which I believe is leading to my sugar binges), breakfast hash (chorizo, sweet potatoes, red peppers, onions, tomatoes, salsa) with sour cream

Lunch - Breakfast hash (chorizo, sweet potatoes, red peppers, onions, tomatoes, salsa) with mixed green salad with peach balsamic and EVOO 

Dinner - Autumn salad with bacon, pecans, apples, goat cheese, EVOO and balsamic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been MIA for almost 10 days! I am home for the holidays and pretty much off-roaded like crazy! I mean, still making better choices than I was a year ago, but I went pretty nutso on the cookies this week. :)

I am still home and relaxing for a few days before I start back up on the food logging, but I wanted to post my 2014 resolutions. I've made such better choices in 2013 and this coming year I want to cement those choices into permanent lifestyle changes. So my resolutions are:

1. Heal my digestive/gut issues to achieve optimum health (making good food choices, visiting an allergist, and learning to enjoy alcohol in moderation)

2. Enhance my physical fitness routine (continuing barre and pilates classes, and taking up swimming or walking again)

3. Improve my mental health (regular journaling, making efforts to stop being negative about work, taking time to nurture my mind, etc) 

I have created a food plan and will make adjustments as needed over the course of the year. I intend to do a real Whole30 sometime in the next year, but I am not sure when (I am waiting on some pretty big news regarding a job, and if I get it, I would need to move and do not want to be doing a whole30 in the midst of that). My food plan is pasted below and starting January 1 I will start posting my food diary again.

-Follow the meal template of the whole30 - fresh veggies, fruits, protein and fat 

-No snacking in-between meals

-Non-whole30 foods to enjoy:

• Full-fat organic grass-fed dairy (yogurt, butter, soft cheeses) 
    • Hummus (homemade)
    • Limited amounts of honey or agave in cooking
    • Bacon cured with sugar 
    • Mary's Gone Crackers 
    • Alcohol - I want to learn how to enjoy alcohol in more moderation. I'm not sure what my plan is here yet but I need to do a better job of not drinking in 2014. 

-Foods to eliminate entirely:

• Grains 
    • Soy
    • Aged hard cheeses
    • Dried fruit (particularly raisins, apricots, cranberries)
    • Deli meats 
    • Everything processed!!! 

Well, I spent about a half hour trying to talk my mom into doing a whole30 and ultimately convinced myself to do one! So I will be taking a hiatus from my food diary here and starting one on January 2 in the Whole30 log forum!

Archived