Whole30 2.0 - Moderation Management

Emily T

Day 27

I'm on vacation and there is FOOD EVERYWHERE. I am doing my best to maintain compliance!

Breakfast - Sweet potato, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and ground pork hash

Snacks - guacamole (compliant save for some guac seasoning that including some weird ingredients) and baby carrots, slice of bacon

Lunch - Fiesta tuna salad (homemade mayo, tuna, red pepper, scallions, tomatoes)

Snack - Larabar

Dinner - We went out to dinner - appetizer was chicken, veggie, cucumber and feta in a lettuce wrap - likely uncompliant sauce. Entree was mixed vegetable salad with balsamic and EVOO, tenderloin steak, mixed vegetables, and garlic mashed potatoes. After dinner I had some apple cider. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EmilyT,

I just read though your log. I am also doing a modified Whole 30. (I have a log called Attempting a Whole 30)

First of all, congrats for sticking to your plan (most of the time). A lot of people quit after the first slip up (I was one of them). So you are doing good.

Fews comments / questions:

When was your 1st W30? How long in between that one and this one? How were you eating in between?

On day 8, you say your digestion is better than during your first W30... But you were experiencing lots of bloating during those 1st 8 days. The bloating was worst during your fist W30? Or were these different digestion issues?

(trouble shooting here)

You also talk about stress and cravings. I can relate. There is no doubt that stress makes it difficults, but I think it's a loop effect. Eat better and you can handle stress better.

Where you perfectly complient during your 1st W30? Could that of helped in avoiding cravings and handling stress?

Finally, you talk about travelling... Oh, how I can relate!

I don't want to be fussy in front of people I am trying to impress. I try to do the best I can in my choices, but as the week goes by, I let a bit more slide each day, and by the end of the week, I feel like crap.

Gladly, I only travel on average 4 days a month (sometimes more, sometimes less). But it's though.

Best wishes to you EmilyT!

Day 28 - thanksgiving

Breakfast - sweet potato, tomato, bell pepper, onion and sausage hash - organic yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - fiesta tuna salad

Snack - carrots and guacamole. I had three corn chips too.

Dinner - turkey, sweet potato stuffing (it did contain wine but otherwise compliant), gravy (I assume it contained something not compliant) broccoli, mashed potatoes (butter and milk) cranberry relish (contained sugar). Also had a glass of white wine.

Dessert - chocolate pie (coconut cream, dark chocolate, dates, walnut and date crust) with coconut whipped cream (sugar and coconut cream) and I also tried a small slice of a traditional pecan pie with bourbon maple whipped cream.

Overall I did pretty good - didn't drink a lot of alcohol and avoided bread and grains other than the pecan pie. I did not feel bad the next day at all.

Day 29

Breakfast - sweet potato, tomato, bell pepper, onion and sausage hash - organic yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - chipotle chicken soup, topped with guacamole and sour cream, small side salad with evoo and vinegar

Snack - bacon wrapped dates

Dinner - leftover thanksgiving dinner - potatoes, cranberries, and sweet potato stuffing (included sausages) with gravy, and a big salad

I had some pie for dessert. I figure I'm back on the plan today, and I wanted to enjoy a last delicious bite!

I fly back home today and am happy to get back on my plan. I'll be posting my plan for the month of December and Christmas soon!

EmilyT,

I just read though your log. I am also doing a modified Whole 30. (I have a log called Attempting a Whole 30)

First of all, congrats for sticking to your plan (most of the time). A lot of people quit after the first slip up (I was one of them). So you are doing good.

Fews comments / questions:

When was your 1st W30? How long in between that one and this one? How were you eating in between?

On day 8, you say your digestion is better than during your first W30... But you were experiencing lots of bloating during those 1st 8 days. The bloating was worst during your fist W30? Or were these different digestion issues?

(trouble shooting here)

You also talk about stress and cravings. I can relate. There is no doubt that stress makes it difficults, but I think it's a loop effect. Eat better and you can handle stress better.

Where you perfectly complient during your 1st W30? Could that of helped in avoiding cravings and handling stress?

Finally, you talk about travelling... Oh, how I can relate!

I don't want to be fussy in front of people I am trying to impress. I try to do the best I can in my choices, but as the week goes by, I let a bit more slide each day, and by the end of the week, I feel like crap.

Gladly, I only travel on average 4 days a month (sometimes more, sometimes less). But it's though.

Best wishes to you EmilyT!

Thanks Cassie!

My first whole30 was in August of this year - July 20-August 19. I was perfectly compliant then and I definitely think that helped with cravings! I also really did not snack on nuts and fruit and stuff - which is really contributing to mid-meal cravings. In between I was eating fairly compliant but then was drinking too much alcohol. 

My digestion is all over the place this month. On the whole, its definitely better than during the whole30, because I was SO constipated for a good part of that month. I think it was my body adjusting to all of the fiber. But this month its been going back and forth between bloating and gas for a couple days, to constipated for a couple days, to normal for a couple days. I've been trying really hard to pinpoint what causes what. Alcohol is definitely a problem for me. As I mentioned earlier, I think dried fruits and nuts are a problem and aged cheese. Probiotics and bone broth help. Anyway, I'll figure it out!

I hope your journey goes well too, good luck, and thanks for commenting!

Day 30. I don't even know what just happened yesterday. It started so well and ended rather poorly. Blame the stress of travel I guess and the need for comfort foods. I'm not going to beat myself up about it though. 

Lunch - a bunch of snacks - dried fruit, baby carrots, two beed sticks and two cheese sticks (was traveling)

Dinner - I ordered Indian takeout - vegetable pakora (made me chickpea flour) and chicken tikka masala (made with cream and yogurt). I had about two tablespoons of the rice. 

Dessert! Yes I had dessert. I made Christmas cookies - part of my holiday traditions - and I ate two PLUS a spoonful of dough. It could have been worse though! 

So now I am into December and I have created a few new rules/guidelines for myself. I am testing an experiment out here to see what on earth causes my seemingly random digestive symptoms.

1. Continue to follow the meal template - vegetables and protein, low or no sugar (its okay if its a small amount added into soups or something), no grains. 

2. Goat cheese, yogurt, and butter are okay, but hard aged cheeses are not. 

3. Dried cranberries, dates, raisins, and other fruits are not allowed. I can have pecans crumbled onto my salad but need to seriously limit consumption of nuts. 

4. Homemade hummus is okay. 

5. Finally, the exciting part - the exceptions! I am making exceptions during specific holiday events (two holiday parties, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve). I do this in full knowledge that it will negatively impact my healing process. I plan to do better in January, but I'm not going to be miserable at Christmas! I will make specific game plans for each of my "off road" days so that I can enjoy treats in moderation, without guilt, and without feeling deprived

So - Day 1!

Breakfast - I actually skipped it. Came in late last night, and I had no food. I went straight to barre class and then grocery shopping. But I ate so much the past week, it was kind of nice not having breakfast.

Lunch - Autumn salad with bacon, pecans, goat cheese, onion, apples

Dinner - Marinated flank steak (oil, coconut aminos, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic) with roasted winter root vegetables (parsnips, butternut squash, turnips, carrots) with garlic, thyme, rosemary, and olive oil

No gas or bloating AT ALL today!!! Wooohooo!!!

I'm with Amber, yay for no bloating/gas!

Sounds like you were very successful over Thanksgiving, a little off-roading and now you are back on track.  I like your plan for December, it sounds reasonable and will allow you to enjoy some specific treats, but also keeping your goals in mind.  We can do December!   ;)

Amberino - barre is my new favorite thing! Its ballet positions with pilates and yoga-type movements. Its very much about small, controlled, precise movements - for example, you stand in parallel first position, go up to a high releve, tuck your hips under, and pulse down and up for an inch for like 60 seconds. Your thighs really start to shake and burn! My class does arms, thighs, butt, and abs. Really helps stability and strength. I absolutely love it. 

Couple links for your reading pleasure:

https://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_to_expect_in_a_barre_workout_class

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/home-barre-workout

Unfortunately my day two did NOT turn out so well. I am interviewing for jobs right now and was traveling out of town today for this interview. I was taken to a cafe for lunch with very limited selection. Everyone ordered the soup & salad bar, so its an interview and you kind of need to go along with what everyone is doing, and besides the only other thing on the menu were sandwiches.

There was NO protein at the salad bar except some hard boiled egg, and they only had ranch and zesty Italian dressing...gross. The soup was a cream-based potato soup. Probably full of total junk. :x But its an interview. I'm not going to be the only person not eating the soup, I was not going to be that weird girl that does not use DRESSING, and I was flipping starving. Needless to say, after lunch I had a HORRIBLE stomach ache and gas. I am sure that I could have been compliant in some way, but honestly during job interviews I am not going to be that person.

So I was really looking forward to dinner at home, but THEN, my flight was delayed 90 mins and after my pitiful lunch I could not wait until 9:30PM for dinner, so I had to eat at the airport. All in all, not my finest food day. Thank god for clean eating and barre tomorrow. 

Breakfast - sweet potato, peppers, onions, chorizo with salsa; whole milk yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - salad with egg, red peppers, carrots, onions, cucumbers, and zesty italian dressing; potato and green onion soup 

Dinner - salad with romaine, grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, salsa, guacamole, and cheese (I am sure the salsas had sugar and the chicken was probably cooked in canola)

GAHHH whole30 and job searching do not mix. 

Honestly, I think you did well under the circumstances.  I agree with you, being "that" girl during an interview process just doesn't work.  Make the best choices you can and stay on track the rest of the time.  Sorry about the bad stomach after your lunch.  Hopefully you'll land a great position really soon, and then you won't have to worry about interviewing anymore.   :)

Are you relocating?

Thanks Sararuns! It was the best I could do. 

I am trying to move back to my hometown (Cleveland) - I currently live in Washington DC.

Day 3

Breakfast - sweet potato, peppers, onions, chorizo with salsa; whole milk yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - Marinated flank steak (oil, coconut aminos, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic) with roasted winter root vegetables (parsnips, butternut squash, turnips, carrots) with garlic, thyme, rosemary, and olive oil

Dinner - Marinated flank steak (oil, coconut aminos, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic) with roasted winter root vegetables (parsnips, butternut squash, turnips, carrots) with garlic, thyme, rosemary, and olive oil

Hope the interview went well.  I wouldn't worry about your eating.  You did well with what was available.  I think it's one of those situations where offroading is justified by the situation.  It's a long term journey so having one so-so day as a tradeoff for a job interview is perfectly fine.  Hope it all goes well with your job search.

Day 4

Woke up with a little gas and bloating - not sure why. Doesn't seem connected to my lunch OR dinner (which were the same thing I ate Sunday with no issue). But after I went to barre it went away. I made a batch of bone broth yesterday and I am starting that again this morning.

Breakfast - sweet potato, peppers, onions, chorizo with salsa; whole milk yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - Autumn salad with apples, bacon, candied pecans, goat cheese 

Snack - AHHH! What did I do?!?! An office birthday party snuck up on me. I started okay with carrots and guacamole. And then suddenly I was eating chips and salsa. And then a CUPCAKE. WTF? What a stupid choice. 

Dinner - Chicken curry (chicken, coconut milk, fish sauce, broccoli, water chesnuts, red pepper, red onion) 

Ugh on the office birthday party.  I try to avoid those like crazy.  It sounds like you got right back on track with dinner, which is great.

I've decided my rule for baked goods is that it has to be homemade by someone I know is a great baker and it has to be something I really really like.  That limits me to a few things my Mom makes and one or two MIL makes.

If that strategy doesn't work for you, could you try a one or three bite rule.  If you really want it, you will only have a bite (or three, I've read that you lose most of the enjoyment of taste of things after the third bite).

But it isn't the mistakes, it is how you recover!

Day 5 - 

Sara you are right and I am back on track. I really love bakery cupcakes though, they are so delicious to me. Anyway, its too late to be upset, all I can do is move forward and follow my rules going forward. What was interesting to me is that I woke up stuffy and puffy and sleepy - the same way I felt after the wine I had at Thanksgiving. So either I had some kind of allergic reaction to something in the cupcake, or my yeast hypothesis is correct and the sugar overload fed the yeast, or I am reacting to something in my chicken curry. WTF knows! 

Breakfast - sweet potato, peppers, onions, chorizo with salsa; whole milk yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - Chicken curry (chicken, coconut milk, fish sauce, broccoli, water chesnuts, red pepper, red onion) 

Dinner - Autumn salad with bacon, candied pecans, red onion, goat cheese, apples, EVOO and balsamic (I know I eat this ALL the time, but its so good..the sweet and salty and crunchy and creamy...amazing)

Overall, I'm feeling a lot better now compared to earlier today. No bloating earlier, just foggy and sleepy and puffy.

So far on this journey, I can definitely confirm following foods cause some sort of bad reaction:

Raw red onion 

Dried fruits and nuts (only when I eat a lot of them, not if they're thrown on a salad) 

Super hard, aged cheeses 

Wine 

Cupcakes :)

Progress!!!

Day 6

Lunch - Chipotle salad - carnitas, salsa, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce

Dinner - Leftover chicken curry, baby carrots, sweet potato "fries"

I also ate a few Christmas cookies while baking! Loaded with bad crap. :o

Days 7 & 8 were such a hot mess! I gave myself permission to off-road yesterday for a holiday party, but I went way more off than I wanted to. This morning, I woke up hungover and ended up ordering Thai takeout and eating more holiday cookies. I'm not feeling good at all. I don't feel bad about the party, but wish I had not eaten so many cookies yesterday while baking, or today for no reason. Sometimes, when you "cheat", you end up saying, "well the day is shot to hell so I may as well go nuts" and thats so bad. Its such a setback for me sometimes.

So in response (I'm not going to call it a punishment) I am revoking my off-roading privileges until I head home for the holidays in a couple of weeks. That gives me a solid two weeks of clean eating. 

Day 7 - kind of a random assortment of bad eating 

-Yogurt with "cavewoman granola" (seeds, bananas) and apples

-Autumn salad with bacon, pecans, goat cheese, cranberries, mesclun

-Cookies of all sorts 

-Champagne

-Crackers with hummus

Day 8 - same thing as yesterday

-Cookies of all sorts

-Thai krapow chicken (with about 1/2 cup jasmine rice)

-Chipotle stuffed sweet potato skins (sweet potatoes, chicken, chipotle peppers, oil, garlic, spinach, honey)

Day 9 - woke up exhausted and bloated! This is the life of someone who gets two day hangovers :D

Lunch - Chipotle stuffed sweet potato skins (sweet potatoes, chicken, chipotle peppers, oil, garlic, spinach, honey) and spinach salad with green onions, carrots, and cinnamon-pear vinaigrette 

Dinner - I wasn't really very hungry for dinner. I ended up having some carrots and homemade hummus (chickpeas, chipotle peppers, honey, oil, tahini). I also had about a half serving of mary's gone crackers.

Day 10 - Feeling much better today than yesterday, AND we got a snow day! Woohoo!

Lunch - Chipotle stuffed sweet potato skins (sweet potatoes, chicken, chipotle peppers, oil, garlic, spinach, honey) and spinach salad with green onions, carrots, and cinnamon-pear vinaigrette 

Archived