Whole30 2.0 - Moderation Management

Emily T

Day 20

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa; Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon; black tea

Lunch - Sweetgreen salad with mesclun, chicken, goat cheese, candied pecans, onions, sweet potatoes, apples, cranberries, EVOO and balsamic

Dinner - Not a very coherent or cohesive dinner, unfortunately. Leftover honey ginger apple shredded pork, baby carrots, handful of trail mix (nuts, cranberries, dried apples, apricots), larabar, one bite of gouda

I finished my bone broth and drank a cup tonight. It did not taste very good. Very fatty/oily. The butcher keeps giving me bones with tons of fat and meat left on them - I don't know if thats normal, but it makes very oily broth, and its difficult to drink! 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emily - Hi, I read through your log.  Unfortunately, we seem to have similar regularity issues.  I finished my W30 last week.  I had many issues throughout the W30 and on it continues.

At one point I was drinking multiple cups of ginger tea a day, two pint glasses of hot water in the morning, natural calm in the evening, up to 4 digestive enzymes with each meal, raw sauerkraut with each meal, and almost daily kombucha.  And I was still constipated.  After a lot of stress, I decided to stop everything, which I did for four days.  I then added one tbsp of flax a day (before W30 I had taken 3tbsp per day, and was at least on every other day with that).  After a week, I added back in one digestive enzyme a meal.  When my new magnesium arrives (natural calm did not agree with me and never had a laxative impact, despite taking four heaping tsps at night), I'll start on that as well.  

From my reading, what helps one person is not what helps another.  But I thought I would share you are not alone in this.  I was REALLY hoping that W30 was going to solve my gastro issues, but it doesn't appear that it will be quite that easy.

Enjoyed your log and hope you find success soon!

SaraRuns, thanks for sharing that. It can be SO discouraging, especially when it seems so random! 

I have been feeling a LOT better the past two days. It might have just been a combo of stress and my travel last week, but who knows. I also started taking my probiotic again yesterday morning. Here's hoping this stays on track! Even though I am no longer so darn constipated though, I am still gassy and bloated at random. My next experiment will be (post-holidays) elimination of FODMAPs for a couple of weeks, to see if that helps. 

I really hope you find some success soon as well! 

PS, I was doing that "everything at once" with the probiotics, tons of coconut, peppermint, enzymes, tea, kimchi, etc. It was pretty awful. Too much at once. I think its nice that everyone suggests so many options but I wish I had known NOT to do it all at once. I ended up on the floor of my office bathroom for two hours crying in pain because I had such bad stomach cramps. Never again will I try so many things at once!

Day 21

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa; Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon; black tea

Lunch - Honey ginger apple shredded pork, mixed greens with EVOO and vinegar

Dinner - Texas barbeque! Brisket, pork belly, BBQ sauce, cucumber salad, and bourbon molasses sweet potatoes. 

I had a lot of digestion issues during my Whole30, but they cleared up eventually - I hope you figure out what works for you!

On a completely different note - do you have a recipe for this honey ginger apple shredded pork? That sounds delicious. I have a bunch of kalua pig that I'm tired of just eating as is!

@jent - http://paleomg.com/honey-ginger-apple-shredded-pork/ it is delicious! I add in extra apples at the last hour of cooking, so that some are less mushy :)

Day 22 -

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa

Lunch - Chipotle salad with canrnitas, salsa, guac, cheese

Mid-afternoon snack - Piece of chocolate - Blah! I shouldn't have done this. 

Dinner - Honey ginger apple shredded pork, mixed greens with EVOO and vinegar

Day 23 - Happy weekend! 

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes! (Pumpkin, egg, cashew butter, spices, and a teaspoon of honey) topped with butter and maple syrup. These were INCREDIBLE. I had them with syrup as a treat but tomorrow I will have them with my homemade applesauce. They were amazing though. 

Lunch - Autumn salad - mesclun, bacon, pecans, cranberries, balsamic, oil, goat cheese

Dinner - was out to dinner and got several items - a roasted beet salad with mixed greens, I think the dressing was probably not compliant and there was a little goat cheese. I also got mixed fall vegetables which included a pumpkin cream (so had some dairy in it). And then I got pork belly with sweet potato and an apple mustard. Delicious! 

Day 24

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes with apple sauce, piece of bacon

Post-workout snack - Baby carrots and cucumbers

Lunch - Autumn salad - mesclun, bacon, pecans, cranberries, balsamic, oil, goat cheese

Afternoon snack - way too much trail mix (mixed nuts, apricots, cranberries) and an apple with some aged gouda. felt not so hot afterward. 

Dinner - Kaprow chicken with cauliflower rice

I think I am definitely able to confirm that for me, cauliflower is definitely a problem. A BIG gassy problem. Which is a bummer but to be expected, as its a cruciferous veg. I will try to moderate it from now.

Second, I am pretttttty sure eating dried fruit nuts and aged cheeses are also a problem for me. Me thinks its something to do with the mold (dried fruits and nuts pretty much always have mold on them). Since my journey here started as an anti-candida diet, maybe I am on to something here. New experiment, perhaps!

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes with apple sauce, apple (I forgot to bring my carrots and cucumbers to work - woefully short on veggies here)

Lunch - Autumn salad - mesclun, bacon, pecans, cranberries, balsamic, oil, goat cheese

Dinner - Leftover krapow chicken, mixed green salad, 1 slice bacon 

@SaraRuns - to be frank, who the hell knows what the issue is! So exhausting. 

However, what is clear is that every single symptom and issue I have points back to a leaky gut or some kind of imbalance/dysbiosis in my gut flora. Every. Single. Issue!!! Candida overgrowth is caused or exacerbated by that kind of imbalance, and it actually can cause a leaky gut. So even if I do not have a candida problem now, eating foods that contain mold (yeasty foods, peanuts, nuts, seeds, dried fruit) or foods that encourage its growth (sugar of all kinds, wheat) will likely create one. Of course, I find it really hard to give up nuts and dried fruit (which in itself is probably a reason to do so).  

Do you have any idea if you are sensitive to anything in particular, or is it a lot of things? 

I agree, this issue is exhausting.  I really have no idea what I'm sensitive to, or if it is even food (I guess it has to be food, right?).  I tried cutting out FODMAPs, no noticeable change.  I tried no coconut product, no change.  I went without nuts for the first 1/2 at least of my W30, no change.  No dried fruit since before the W30.  

I added digestive enzymes, up to 4 with each meal, no change.  I added daily kombucha and raw sauerkraut, nothing.  I added natural calm, even at way high dosage levels, nothing.  I just started a different type of magnesium and I started probiotics last week.  I'll see if either of those help.  I'm also doing a tbsp of flax each day (down from 3 tbsps pre-W30, and I'm considering heading back up).

It is frustrating because I  know all these things take time to work, but how long do you try them out for before moving on to something else.  Not going for 10 days while I try something out is just not going to work for me!   :angry:

SaraRuns, I am so sorry you are dealing with all of that! If you do not mind me asking, are you bloated or gassy at all? From what I understand, constipation and lack of gas can result from not having enough bacteria in your gut to break down food. Whereas if you are constipated but very gassy and bloated, then you might have too much of the wrong bacteria. In either case, food is only part of the equation. Getting your gut lining healed and your intestinal flora back on track takes more than clean eating, unfortunately. Which I am sure you already know. I hope it gets better for you soon. 

Some ideas that may or may not help...you could try rotating probiotics. Different brands have different strains, and probiotic foods have millions of strains and kinds and they are usually more varied than the bottled brands. So maybe Monday you have some kimchi, Tuesday you have a pill, Wednesday you have sauerkraut, etc. You run the risk of overloading your gut and getting diarrhea (this has happened to me) but it may give you some relief in the meantime. 

In addition, I have been drinking 2-3 cups of bone broth daily for the past four days and I am definitely no longer constipated. I'm no by means going in a regular manner (regular for me, at least), but at least I am not like a big bloated balloon anymore. Bone broth heals intestinal lining and can play a big role in helping boost your immune system. Even if it does not provide you relief, it is definitely very good for you.

Day 26

Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes with maple syrup, bacon, baby carrots

Lunch - autumn salad with bacon, pecans, cranberries, goat cheese, spring mix, mixed greens

Snack - Banana

Dinner - Welp, its the holidays! I showed up to grandmas house and had the following:

-Big green salad with veggies

-Salami slices

-Some chipotle chicken tomato soup (whole30 approved!)

-Some organic hummus with yellow bell peppers

Emily - sorry for ranting in your log.  I guess it is just nice to know I'm not alone with these issues.  I guess I'm also slightly disappointed, because I had that hope that W30 would be a miracle cure.

To answer your question, I would say that since going off the grain, I haven't been very bloated or gassy (although one day of grains brought that right back).  So that would lead me to believe I'm lacking good bacteria?  I like your idea of mixing up my probiotics.  I think I will try that.

I've read about bone broth on here, but haven't tried it.  Is this something you made on your own?  Do you have a recipe?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Pumpkin pancakes - are they good?  Are they super pumpkin-y?  I like pumpkin, but not too much.  I would like to try out a few different paleo-type pancake recipes on my son.

Oh bone broth is SO SO good for you and can REALLY heal intestinal problems. Here are a couple of links. If you let it sit for a long time, the bones will start to disintegrate and thats what you want. 

http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth-tutorial/

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/making-fresh-bone-stock/

I would highly encourage you make a huge pot and drink it for a couple weeks, along with everything else you are doing. Even if it doesn't help you, you will have a stronger immune system which is great! But looking at what you are eating and doing makes me think this is probably an issue in your intestinal flora. Have you read up on the Bristol stool chart? http://www.gutsense.org/constipation/normal_stools.html It may help you to ID what your issue is. It sounds like you might be more toward the 1 end of the scale, which means you don't have enough bacteria. Adding more probiotics (slowly) might help.

If you are NOT at the 1 end of the scale, but are still super constipated, you could have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or SIBO. http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/modifying-paleo-small-intestinal.html I TINK typically it presents diarrhea but sometimes constipation, too. If you think that is you, then see a GI doctor and ask for a methane breath test. Breath testing helps to determine if you have a bacterial overgrowth in your small intestine causing your IBS-type symptoms. Basically you drink a special solution and they measure the gas compounds in your breath over two hours. If you produce a lot of gas, it indicates bacterial overgrowth. The type of gas is usually indicative of whether you are constipated or subject to diarrhea. From my understanding, patients with constipation produce more methane gas. 

And no worries. I know how annoying this is. GOod luck!!!

So I'm gathering I've said way too much since you can diagnose my stools!  :o  :blink:

Thank you for all that info.  That is definitely helpful and I am now pretty sure that I am suffering from low levels of good bacteria.  So I will continue on with probiotics/fermented food (slowly).

Will definitely have to try out the pumpkin pancakes...  And now I'm going to have to figure out how to get bones for broth.  We don't typically buy meat on the bone, but maybe I'll have to pick up a few whole chickens.

Thanks again for all your help!

So I'm gathering I've said way too much since you can diagnose my stools! :o:blink:

Thank you for all that info. That is definitely helpful and I am now pretty sure that I am suffering from low levels of good bacteria. So I will continue on with probiotics/fermented food (slowly).

Will definitely have to try out the pumpkin pancakes... And now I'm going to have to figure out how to get bones for broth. We don't typically buy meat on the bone, but maybe I'll have to pick up a few whole chickens.

Thanks again for all your help!

I think you should be able to get bones from your butcher - bones from organic, grass fed animals would be best :)

Archived