Choices at a Thai restaurant?

I use Whole 30 as my eating template, and then I occasionally will partake in some white potato or a little dark chocolate, or some bacon cured in maple syrup. I have not reintroduced soy, legumes, dairy or grains, just because I haven't really wanted any of that.

I've been invited out to a Thai restaurant tonight and I really want to go. Any advice on the best thing to order? I always used to get pad Thai or drunken noodles, but I am open to whatever will be best.

Thanks!

I think Thai food would likely contain soy, and perhaps peanuts. You could ask for peanut free, but I think it would be quite bland without the sauces. You'd also likely have rice (or noodles) unless you avoided this too. Then there's msg, and goodness knows what else added!

If it were me, I'd partake in the food as is - perhaps use it as a potential soy reintro? Maybe this is one of those times you take a bet and enjoy your night, and see how you go? It's difficult - you could just have plain steamed/stirfried vegies and protein if you wanted to avoid everything?

It's tricky to be Whole30 compliant in a Thai restaurant. That being said, I managed to get a fish entree that was gluten, soy, dairy, msg, legume and sugar free at a local restaurant. It was this beautiful salmon filet dish. Had a bit of vegetables with it.

Maybe call ahead or look at the menu online and see if they can at least accommodate gluten free (that will also cover soy sauce) and msg free? If they can do those things, chances are they can do the rest.

EDIT: I just remembered that wheat-free soy sauce exists - it's called tamari. So if you want to avoid soy, be sure to avoid tamari as well.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up throwing caution to the wind and ordering the pad Thai. No bad side effects as of the morning after, though I already had a slight head cold. The only bad part, if you could call it that, was that the food didn't taste very good. I was convinced the restaurant had changed the recipe, but my friends assured me it was same as always. I guess my taste buds have changed!

I go out for Thai food so infrequently now that I usually order what I want and pay the piper. Every restaurant is a little different too. Fun. Glad it wasn't too bad on the system even if it didn't delight your taste buds as much as it used to.

Archived