Cholesterol and eggs - whats too many

Can anyone answer the question (or relieve anxiety) about eating so many eggs? I've never eaten this many eggs every day before and grew up learning the "only three eggs a week" model of intake. I'm in the healthcare world so in aware that the recommended daily intake of cholesterol is 200mg-that's just a little more than one egg.

Any of you have any personal history with eating more eggs and not having an impact on cholesterol? I'd be anxious to hear your story.

• Moderators

I've eaten 3-5 eggs per day for years without an impact on my cholesterol. Eating zero eggs has no impact on my cholesterol too. I've tried it. Roz is right. Dietary cholesterol hardly moves the needle. The funny thing is, I know doctors who know that, but still recommend few eggs. When challenged, they respond with things like, "Well, just in case." As in just in case science is not valid and old fashioned fear of eggs is. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Both times I have done the whole30, and this past time I have also been NSNG (no sugar, no grains) for over a month afterwards, my cholesterol has gone up. I am now seeing an O.D. who is very open-minded about my refusal to take statins, but he still recommends that I modify my diet to be lower in saturated fat. It's so hard to know what to do and who to believe. I am doing many homeopathic things now to try to address my high cholesterol, so we'll see what my labs say 3 months from now (will be six months NSNG at that time). I am trying to eat more fish, but I am still not completely removing saturated fats (eggs, butter, meat) from my diet. I still eat 2 eggs 4 or 5 days a week. I am my own n=1 and will have to find out for myself. Despite what the ADA, AHA, and other mainstream medical associations say, I am not convinced that my high cholesterol is a bad thing considering my levels of inflammation and cortisol and my tryglycerides are all normal or low. 

A lot of doctors are still giving out wrong information on cholesterol, eggs and saturated fat.

My father went on a zero food-cholesterol diet many years ago and ended up in hospital when his body went overboard producing extra cholesterol (this was actually a recommended protocol at the time!).

Eat your eggs without worrying, unless:
- AutoImmune Protocol (AIP) has no eggs.

- Some people have trouble due to what the chickens are fed (grains, soy)

- Allergies to chickens & eggs

Otherwise you should be fine.

See what works for you :)

Archived