Christmas panic

whatjosaid

Hi all,

I know this is a little ahead of time, but I'm starting to fret about Christmas! I'm on Day 7 of my first W30 and seem to be on track (tired and gassy, just as the timeline predicts). However, I will probably roll into a W45 on account of some dodgy supplements I took for the first couple of days without realising.

So, today the Christmas dinner/party invites starting coming in and I actually felt panic rise in my throat. I know there is some great advice about drinking soda water and lime at parties, but I wondered if anyone else has more top tips. I have amazing will power with food, but I'm rubbish when it comes to booze.

Thank you. 

If you have amazing willpower when it comes to food, then make alcohol one of the foods you are not eating. It's the same exercise, you say no and order something else, and don't apologize or explain it. I specifically ask for a nice glass, so if everyone is drinking wine, I want a wine glass, too.  I can toast and cheers and dance the night away and I'm not drinking and who cares anyway?

It really is that simple. If it's more complicated, it's because your brain is looking for excuses (understandable, been there done that, too, just recognize that for what it is and it's easier to say no thank you).

I've just realised I have no idea why I posted this in supplements!

Anyway, I know you speak sense, thank you. However, I would like to be able to have the odd drink now and then once I've completed my W30/W45. Have you or anyone else had success with this? 

Yes, I can do this because I can take or leave alcohol. Sugar is another story entirely, but I can have a drink now and then, or not, it's pretty much all the same to me. I can't really explain why this is true but just like other people can take or leave sugary treats (which I really can't without craving more) alcohol just doesn't have that pull on me. If it does have that pull on you, you'll likely have trouble limiting yourself if you start drinking again.

I would like to be able to have the odd drink now and then once I've completed my W30/W45. Have you or anyone else had success with this? 

Yes.

I love red wine.  I did stay off that and all alcohol when I did my Whole30 this summer.  I have since brought it back into my life, but don't drink it as much as I used to.  Maybe, on average, a glass or two a week at most?  

If I'm going to drink at a party, I limit myself to 2 drinks max, with a soda water and lime in between.  If I still want something after drink #2, it's soda water and lime the rest of the night.

As far as other tips,eat before you go to a party, to minimize hunger and possible serious off-roading at the party.

Yes, I can do this because I can take or leave alcohol. Sugar is another story entirely, but I can have a drink now and then, or not, it's pretty much all the same to me. I can't really explain why this is true but just like other people can take or leave sugary treats (which I really can't without craving more) alcohol just doesn't have that pull on me. If it does have that pull on you, you'll likely have trouble limiting yourself if you start drinking again.

Yes, Xandra, this is my concern. I also have a terrible sugar dragon. So many time I have ended up in a cycle of drinking wine on a Friday then gobbling Haribo all of Saturday to feed the hangover. In fact this is one of the main cycles I hope to break with W30. That said, I want to get to the stage where I can exercise restraint as Chris outlined.  

Once you complete your Whole45 and reintroduce alcohol, you may find you don't like how you feel after drinking alcohol. This may help you limit your drinks or possibly eliminate altogether

It's so true - alcohol was never really a thing for me (I had no trouble giving it up during my W30, and only have it occasionally now), but there are foods that I would have told you I'd miss dearly that I don't even want now. Knowing how I'll feel after I eat a big plate of pancakes is enough to keep me from eating them (unless my mama makes them!). So try not to panic just yet :) - focus on your Whole 45, and when you get to day 35 or 40, see how you feel and what you really miss. Right now it's way too soon to tell!

And try to do reintro as best as you can, one thing at a time. If your reintro is a holiday party where you drink and eat sugar and gluten, and you wake up feeling terrible, you're not going to know what the culprit(s) really were.

The best thing you can do for yourself food-wise is to bring compliant things that you know you like to the parties. Most parties are potluck-style, so that's actually expected! Do a little research with the hosts as to what they know will be provided (most will start with a few basic items that the added dishes will complement) so you can figure out the most compliant of that. Is it the main dish/meat? Then bring sides you'll like. Will they have a big veggie platter? Bring a protein. 

Deviled eggs and bacon-wrapped dates are easy ways to ensure you get your protein/fat and are DELICIOUS. In my opinion. If you need veggies, there are umpteen things out there from a veggie tray with homemade mayo dip to roasted root veggies. Do a little bit of homework (don't make it suspicious - just ask what they know is going to be there so you can be sure not to bring the same thing!).

Oh, and bacon-wrapped dates, for me, are a way to not eat dessert. No cookies needed - I have bacon-wrapped dates. They have fat and protein to keep me from overeating too much too!

Gwantley's at Publix has no sugar, no sweeteners, but it does have sodium nitrite/erythorbate/phosphate.

Couldn't find anything saying any of those were specifically off-limits, although in the end, not the super bestest thing you can eat, it is technically compliant.

cmccoy, I'm in Nashville too - was that at the Green Hills or Cool Springs Whole Foods?

I think different stores stock different brands, so depending on where the OP is she may not be able to find it, but I'd love to know!

Hey!  It's nice to meet you :)  I found it at Green Hills (it's closer to my work).  I haven't checked at the Cool Springs location although I prefer that store usually because it's so much bigger. 

That's funny - I'm so much more familiar with Green Hills that Cool Springs tends to overwhelm me when I go! Thanks so much. I'm post-Whole30, but have a friend in the middle of one who is missing her bacon - you might have just made her very happy. :)

Skip the wine (too much sugar) and have a tequini. Really good tequila (reposado or anejo) straight up, with maybe a salt rim and a wedge of lime. It's strong enough that you'll sip slowly and probably won't feel the need for more than one. Tequila is Robb Wolf's choice for Paleo drinks.

That's funny - I'm so much more familiar with Green Hills that Cool Springs tends to overwhelm me when I go! Thanks so much. I'm post-Whole30, but have a friend in the middle of one who is missing her bacon - you might have just made her very happy. :)

Here are some pictures of the compliant bacon - I just went to the Green Hills location today on my lunch break to get a salad from the salad bar so thought I'd take a pic :)

post-36619-0-24303900-1384453561_thumb.j

post-36619-0-81777300-1384453568_thumb.j

Archived