Whole30 versus Personal Trainer

whole_nf

Hey everyone. I'm on day 12 (can't believe how fast this is going, btw) and I'm having a little bit of a head butt with my trainer. I recently started working out with him (one week ago) and he wants me to text him pictures of what I'm eating, when I'm eating it. At first, I was like, "Oh this is great, he's going to be so impressed by my amazing Whole30 choices, plus, I'll get pro feedback!"

Mm... not so much. Here are a few things he's recommended (fat loss/leanness is what we're working towards, keep in mind) that contradict:

• No red meat
  • Egg whites only, no whole eggs
  • Waiting too long between meals, need to add in snacking

Ugh. Any advice? It's starting to be a LOT of pressure and stressing me out! I can't lie to him or not update him because obviously I'm paying him and will be seeing him 1-2 times a week.

Honestly, as your personal trainer has conflicting philosophies with how you're eating, if I were you I would either stop sharing what you eat with him, wait until after you complete your Whole30 to continue working with him or find another trainer who is aligned with a Paleo way of eating.

EDIT: unless he's open to viewing what you eat as an experiment for the remainder of your Whole30, and not giving any critical feedback on your food for the duration. Maybe he'll learn something new about the benefits of Whole30, and how the template results in you not needing to snack between meals, because you're sufficiently fueled.

Your personal trainer works for you.  You dictate the terms of that arrangement.    I would either find another trainer, or agree that the nutrition counseling is not a component of your agreement.    I worked with a trainer who was only semi-aligned with W30, but kept her mouth shut.  When she saw my results, she asked me to send her the link to the W9 website.   I also knew another trainer who was guarded about paleo because he believed  in the "calories in, calories out" theory and felt paleo was too high calorie.  Both offered their opinions but were supportive of my decision.  Any trainer/gym who insists I eat according to their plan, and attempts to monitor me throughout the day, would not be the right fit for me.  Having a trainer should be a positive experience, not another source of stress.  Good luck. 

my trainer is pretty-much onboard with my whole30 eating; we continue to have a joke between us where he tries to convince me to drink protein shakes and I tell him no, but in the end he respects my choices. Ask your trainer to respect your choices. If he can't, then consider taking nutrition conversation out of your relationship or finding another trainer.

He's your personal TRAINER, not dietician or nutritionist. He has likely been taught nothing about nutrition.

Instead of getting frustrated with the conflicting ideas, question him as to why he recommends the things he does. Get him to send you research on why you shouldn't be eating eggs, on why you should eat frequently, why no red meat etcetcetc. if he has any idea, he should know where to find these things and he shouldn't have an issue producing them. if he is just spouting off things he's heard, maybe you'll inspire him to do some research and make different opinions of his own!

Thank you all for your feedback! I feel much more empowered now. I am seeing him tomorrow (I pre-paid for a handful of sessions, which I'm definitely going to use, and he is a good guy, don't get me wrong!) and will bring up some of these points.

I had a personal trainer who never heard of Paleo or Whole30. I explained the program and was met with skepticism. But she did know details about every supplement and shake sold at the gym. Why? Because she earned commissions on them. I have a couple large containers of expensive powders still sitting in my basement waiting to meet a trash can.

Archived