Starting Tomorrow Nov 11th

ThomasE

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright. Day three and late yesterday I noticed I was starting to crave my usual black tea with honey really badly. I am also noticing that Im feeling very very hungry, even after Ive eaten a good meal. I experienced this before when I was on SCD but the ways of dealing with it might be different on whole30 (I know they're different). Im starting to feel ...just wierd. I understand whats going on but is it normal to have these wierd symptoms so early, and how long do they generally last? Wierd symptoms include feeling kind of foggy headed, almost dizzy, I started with headaches (the migraine-y type, which I do NOT cope with very well and desperately need to understand how to evade bc altho I get them very rarely, when I do, I am laid up for atleast a day... I sound like an invalid but I just want to make this work).

On a positive note, one that makes me very very very very happy... On the foods I was eating prior to starting to eat whole 30 foods Id have felt full and bloated after every single meal, almost immediately after taking the first bite, so I wasnt eating much, lots of snacking and just enough foods to take away the hunger, then Id binge on very bad foods for a sugar rush on  my down time. Very bad eating habits... which is another reason why making changes is such a process for me. But the positive thing is that even on just day 3, I am actually feeling hunger. I am beginning to feel less bloated. I have slight nausea, and I dont know what thats from, I had it a bit before Whole30.

So... What do you do when you start to have mad cravings?

Alright. Day three and late yesterday I noticed I was starting to crave my usual black tea with honey really badly. I am also noticing that Im feeling very very hungry, even after Ive eaten a good meal. I experienced this before when I was on SCD but the ways of dealing with it might be different on whole30 (I know they're different). Im starting to feel ...just wierd. I understand whats going on but is it normal to have these wierd symptoms so early, and how long do they generally last? Wierd symptoms include feeling kind of foggy headed, almost dizzy, I started with headaches (the migraine-y type, which I do NOT cope with very well and desperately need to understand how to evade bc altho I get them very rarely, when I do, I am laid up for atleast a day... I sound like an invalid but I just want to make this work).

On a positive note, one that makes me very very very very happy... On the foods I was eating prior to starting to eat whole 30 foods Id have felt full and bloated after every single meal, almost immediately after taking the first bite, so I wasnt eating much, lots of snacking and just enough foods to take away the hunger, then Id binge on very bad foods for a sugar rush on my down time. Very bad eating habits... which is another reason why making changes is such a process for me. But the positive thing is that even on just day 3, I am actually feeling hunger. I am beginning to feel less bloated. I have slight nausea, and I dont know what thats from, I had it a bit before Whole30.

So... What do you do when you start to have mad cravings?

The " weird " symptoms you mention aren't weird at all - it's normal to feel foggy and headachey as your glycogen stores empty out but your body hasn't switched over to using fat for energy. I'd make sure you're eating plenty of fat and including starchy vegie carbs in your meals. If you're dizzy and hungry it kind of suggests you may be low on these things as well. If you're not having tea, you may be going through caffeine withdrawal as well.

Eating good template meals should help cravings - whatever you do, don't feed the craving. That won't make them go away! Drink water, herbal tea, occupy yourself with something else- anything to take your kind off thinking you want something to eat :)

Whole30 Day 7 / Week 1 Day 1 of Turbofire

One week of #whole30 done! And I feel great compared to the first time I did the whole30.

And this morning's work out #turbofire was insane. I thought I had a good level of fitness but this just pushed me to another level. And I thought I could do choreography in aerobics classes but was I wrong. I need to do this at least another 2-3 times to get it right.

PreWO - HB egg

PostWO - chicken with sweet potato chips

M1 - two eggs, bacon, burnt broccoli

M2 - tuna, avocado and spinach salad with hard boiled eggs, cashew nuts, banana and dried fruit

M3 - slow cooker pulled pork with lettuce (simple but it was the perfect balance of flavours and textures) and cashews

I love my slow cooker. My hubby dubbed tonight's pulled pork as the best he has tried. Best £ 12 I ever spent!

Sorry I was out of the loop this weekend.  Being home made my cravings out of control!!!  I conquered though.  I did snack yesterday on grapes, pineapple chunks, and sweet potato fries (baked with evoo & salt/pepper).  A group of people from work got together to paint pictures on the walls at the local soup kitchen.  Everyone brought great snack that were totally off limits (buffalo chicken dip; tostitos, spinach dip, warm bread, etc)  I went prepared by buying a fruit & veggie tray.  I figured snacking on a few pieces of fruit was better than falling off the wagon with all those foods that taste SO good but are not compliant with the challenge. Friday night (day 6) I had severe calf cramps while sleeping so I didn't work out Saturday or Sunday.  I did hit the gym this morning and I feel great! 

Day 6

Meal 1:  scrambled eggs, sausage patty, grapes

Meal 2:  hamburger, sweet potato fries, cauliflower poppers

Meal 3:  Grilled chicken salad

Day 7

Meal 1: egg, spinach, sausage muffin (2)

Meal 2: steamed shrimp, broccoli

Meal 3:  grapes, pineapple chunks

Meal 4:  sweet potato fries

Meal 5:  salmon, asparagus

Sorry I was out of the loop this weekend. Being home made my cravings out of control!!! I conquered though. I did snack yesterday on grapes, pineapple chunks, and sweet potato fries (baked with evoo & salt/pepper). A group of people from work got together to paint pictures on the walls at the local soup kitchen. Everyone brought great snack that were totally off limits (buffalo chicken dip; tostitos, spinach dip, warm bread, etc) I went prepared by buying a fruit & veggie tray. I figured snacking on a few pieces of fruit was better than falling off the wagon with all those foods that taste SO good but are not compliant with the challenge. Friday night (day 6) I had severe calf cramps while sleeping so I didn't work out Saturday or Sunday. I did hit the gym this morning and I feel great!

Day 6

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, sausage patty, grapes

Meal 2: hamburger, sweet potato fries, cauliflower poppers

Meal 3: Grilled chicken salad

Day 7

Meal 1: egg, spinach, sausage muffin (2)

Meal 2: steamed shrimp, broccoli

Meal 3: grapes, pineapple chunks

Meal 4: sweet potato fries

Meal 5: salmon, asparagus

Are you adding fat to any of your meals?

Your breakfasts in particular sound small - day 6 had no vegies, and minimal on day 7. Aim for 2-3 cups with every meal.

If you're starving, eating between meals is fine - make it a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit though. If you are hungry, reconsider your portion sizes, particularly in regards to fat and protein. Really listen to your body - if you're not hungry, don't eat!

The cramping may be due to low magnesium or reduced salt. If you aren't salting your food with a good quality salt, I'd suggest doing so! When you aren't eating much, if any, processed food you will have reduced intake compared to eating food with a lot of salt added.

Ugh, the weekend was really hard. I think it's just because mine are usually rather unstructured and busy, so most of the time I don't know what to eat or don't have anything to eat. BUT, I feel better today now that I'm back in routine, and now that I realize what my weekend problem is hopefully I can tackle it with less cravings this time!

A whole week in - yay!!  I found it much easier then I thought to be good over the weekend, though I truly missed my regular glass of wine both Friday and Saturday nights!  I do feel great though. 

I had a question for everyone who is doing this for health reasons, like myself: what is the 1st thing you will add back in, to see if there is a reaction?  I am anxious to see what it is that sets me off - or it's a combo of things! 

amberino21-  The only fat I am using is the evoo that I cook with.  What are some suggestions for fats if I don't like nuts or avacados.  I am up for suggestions.  I am not hungry during meals...I just ate the fruit yesterday because everyone else was enjoying the "oh so good" bad for you food. The smell of those foods cooking kicked my cravings into high gear, so I ate a handful of fruit.  This morning's breakfast was better

Day 8

Meal 1:  2 scrambled eggs; 1/2 cup of spinach; 2 sausage patties; a banana. 

I am open to any suggestions you may have. 

Thanks

amberino21-  The only fat I am using is the evoo that I cook with.  What are some suggestions for fats if I don't like nuts or avacados.  I am up for suggestions.  I am not hungry during meals...I just ate the fruit yesterday because everyone else was enjoying the "oh so good" bad for you food. The smell of those foods cooking kicked my cravings into high gear, so I ate a handful of fruit.  This morning's breakfast was better

Day 8

Meal 1:  2 scrambled eggs; 1/2 cup of spinach; 2 sausage patties; a banana. 

Thanks

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

This is what has been helping me add fat in - I put coconut milk in my coffee every morning, and love to eat a banana with melted almond butter and some coconut flakes.  I've also been throwing olives on my salad at lunch on the days when my avocado isn't ripe.  I have this list on my fridge, and it's been helpful because when I'm putting my meals together, I'll seek out a "fat" to add to everything.  I cook everything in a couple tbsp's of coconut oil too! 

Weekends are normally hard for me too as they are my normal binge on all things junk time but now, as this is my second whole30, find it easier planning for the weekends knowing what I can and can't have.

I found it harder trying to decide what my 'cheat' would be and then just deciding 'Why not have it all?' Which is definitely not the way to go.

I am doing this for my health but when I finish I want to continue this way of eating then allowing myself the occasional treat. I need to really learn how to control the treat vs all out binge cheat which is why I am on my second whole30. I have done reintro's and there is a specific schedule to follow.

Day 31 - reintroduce one type of grain at each meal (m1 baguette, m2 pasta, m3 another grain)

Then 2-3 days of whole30 eating and see how your body reacts to the reintro.

Then reintroduce non gluten grains (a different one at each meal) and then 2-3 days of compliant eating.

Then same with dairy, and legumes. But only reintroduce foods you actually want to eat - there is no point reintroducing yoghurt, for example , if you don't ever plan to eat it.

I will definitely continue to eat the paleo way, because I am feeling more normal then I have in my entire life.  BUT...if I can tolerate cheese, I'd like to have a slice.  And if red wine doesn't kill me, I'd like to enjoy that treat as I wish.  I didn't give up a ton when I started this, so I have very few things I will reintroduce.  Can I live without quinoa?  Sure...but I do enjoy it.  Does my body love it?  I'd like to find out!  I am gluten free for life, so I am limited with what I can indulge in :)

Maybe yogurt, but that's only a once in a while thing anyways. I already know that all grains bother me, except rice. Most all legumes bother me. Nuts and seeds bother me (quinoa is out too). It's just that gluten is the only really debilitating thing so I cheat and eat a lot of the things that only sorta bother me. But this time when I finish I'm hoping that the only things I'll add back in is some yogurt, some real grass fed butter, the very occasional sugar provided I can beat my sugar dragon, and rice. And honey for my tea when I'm sick. Milk and cheese will be rare since I think I'm still slightly lactose intolerant. Actually yogurt should probably be rare too :/

Whole30 Day 8

I woke up this morning with the worst lower back pain ever, and therefore #turbofire day 2 (HIIT 15 + STRETCH 10) postponed until tomorrow to let myself heal. Not sure what I did to it.

The day was going well... Until I fell down a flight of stairs at work, bruising my legs all over and cutting my knee (and embarrassingly have my skirt fly up). Thankfully the railing saved me as I clung onto it for dear life to prevent me from falling at full speed into the wall and I was examined by a first aider and a doctor.

And I cried. Like a baby. In front of my work colleagues. So embarrassing. :( So no exercising for me at all today and possibly tomorrow. Oh dear.

M1 - parsnip, sweet potato, pork mince, and egg casserole with a coffee with almond milk

M2 - gammon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, banana and cashew nuts

M3 - cashew nuts, prosciutto, sautéed kale and chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke wrapped in prosciutto (yum!) Hopefully tomorrow is a less accident prone day.

amberino21- The only fat I am using is the evoo that I cook with. What are some suggestions for fats if I don't like nuts or avacados. I am up for suggestions. I am not hungry during meals...I just ate the fruit yesterday because everyone else was enjoying the "oh so good" bad for you food. The smell of those foods cooking kicked my cravings into high gear, so I ate a handful of fruit. This morning's breakfast was better

Day 8

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs; 1/2 cup of spinach; 2 sausage patties; a banana.

Thanks

You don't need to eat because others are :) our world seems to revolve around a lot of unnecessary food - why does eating need to be a part of most of the things we do? You could have happily painted without food!

My favourite way to add fat is home made mayo - it's easy and quick to make, and tastes good on practically everything. You could use coconut milk - add it to your beaten eggs before cooking, make sauces/curry with it. Have vegies cooked with ghee, or make mash with ghee.

I wouldn't cook with EVOO....it's not good to have it heated, add it to your food after cooking.

Hi - It started the challenge on the the 11 and was hoping to join a group of people committed to it.

I live on Vancouver Island, and for the last two years have strived to eat this way but have wavered back and forth not so diligently.

So i'm loving this challenge so far, it's cleaned up my act quite a bit, and i'm hoping to get a real good grip on it before I go to work (I work away from home)

Thanks !

Day 8 was better....no cravings in between meals

Meal 1:  2 eggs scrambles; 2 sausage patties; spinach; banana

Meal 2:  Baked chicken breast; spinach; grapes

Meal 3:  Baked ham; mashed cauliflower with ghee; steamed broccoli; banana

Woke up this morning (Day 9) when my alarm sounded at 4:35am ready to go!  No dragging to get out the door to the gym.  I ran 3 miles on the treadmill this morning!  Feeling great!  For breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs; leftover mashed cauliflower, broccoli, and ham.  I forgot my banana as I was running out the door but feeling good so far.  Hope everyone else is feeling good as well. 

Meal 1:  2 eggs scrambles; 2 sausage patties; spinach; banana

Meal 2:  Baked chicken breast; spinach; grapes

Meal 3:  Baked ham; mashed cauliflower with ghee; steamed broccoli; banana

Woke up this morning (Day 9) when my alarm sounded at 4:35am ready to go!  No dragging to get out the door to the gym.  I ran 3 miles on the treadmill this morning!  Feeling great!  For breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs; leftover mashed cauliflower, broccoli, and ham.  I forgot my banana as I was running out the door but feeling good so far.  Hope everyone else is feeling good as well. 

4:35....wow, kudos to you!!!!  I can't seem to get my butt out of bed that early if my life depends on it!!!  I have, however, been waking up to my coffee pot every morning since I started this, rather then my alarm which goes off 10 minutes later, and that is good.  But dang...I need your motivation!! 

4:35....wow, kudos to you!!!!  I can't seem to get my butt out of bed that early if my life depends on it!!!  I have, however, been waking up to my coffee pot every morning since I started this, rather then my alarm which goes off 10 minutes later, and that is good.  But dang...I need your motivation!! 

I have a 6 year old so now that he has started school, the only time I can go during the week is while the rest of my house is sleeping.  If I don't work out in the moring, I don't usually do it because I am too tired when I get home, we do homework, eat dinner, get ready for the next day, etc.  It is hard but I do go to the gym 4 out of 5 work days, and I run outside on the weekends ( a little later when the sun is up). 

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambles; 2 sausage patties; spinach; banana

Meal 2: Baked chicken breast; spinach; grapes

Meal 3: Baked ham; mashed cauliflower with ghee; steamed broccoli; banana

Woke up this morning (Day 9) when my alarm sounded at 4:35am ready to go! No dragging to get out the door to the gym. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill this morning! Feeling great! For breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs; leftover mashed cauliflower, broccoli, and ham. I forgot my banana as I was running out the door but feeling good so far. Hope everyone else is feeling good as well.

Don't forget your pre/postWO meals! If you're exercising you need the extra calories and nutrients to help your body recover and refuel.

Your meal 2 was lacking fat- mayo, or avo, or a simple EVOO/vinegar dressing would have been great.

Amazing! Good for you for making the time wherever you can to work out! :)

Day 9 - Another day without exercise as I am still sore from my fall down the stairs yesterday ... I found quite a few BIG bruises so I decided to give it a rest today.

Today was also an off site team meeting and the staff at the venue were so accommodating of the whole30 which just goes to show - you never know unless you ask!

M1 - omelette and strawberries and cashew nuts and Brazil nuts and coffee w/ coconut milk

M2 - grilled lemon chicken, spinach salad, avocado, banana and cashew nuts

Snack - dried fruit, strawberries and cashew nuts

M3 - pulled pork, lettuce and cashew nuts

Okay I went a bit overboard on the cashew nuts today AND I snacked when I knew better. :(

Hope to exercise tomorrow!

I cannot believe that it is already day 10! Day 9 went really well!

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, ham, leftover cauliflower mash(made with ghee) and broccoli

M2:  baked chicken, spinach, grapes

M3:  spaghetti squash (made with ghee), tomato sauce, mushrooms, and spices.....DELICIOUS!!  first time eating spaghetti squash.  i used a recipe from nomnom paleo where you cook it in the microwave....super easy and delicious. 

I am having trouble with pre/post workout meals.  I find it difficult to eat while running out the door at 4:45am so I can at least get a good workout in (before the challenge I would eat a peanut butter protein bar).  To find time between the workout and getting to work on time to have a post workout meal, and fix a breakfast is just not feasible with my routine...I barely make it to work on time and get my son ready for school as it is.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I have found that by doing this challenge, I am trying things that I would have never tried before!!  I have always been a very picky eater and only eat things that are very basic.

I cannot believe that it is already day 10! Day 9 went really well!

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, ham, leftover cauliflower mash(made with ghee) and broccoli

M2:  baked chicken, spinach, grapes

M3:  spaghetti squash (made with ghee), tomato sauce, mushrooms, and spices.....DELICIOUS!!  first time eating spaghetti squash.  i used a recipe from nomnom paleo where you cook it in the microwave....super easy and delicious. 

I am having trouble with pre/post workout meals.  I find it difficult to eat while running out the door at 4:45am so I can at least get a good workout in (before the challenge I would eat a peanut butter protein bar).  To find time between the workout and getting to work on time to have a post workout meal, and fix a breakfast is just not feasible with my routine...I barely make it to work on time and get my son ready for school as it is.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I have found that by doing this challenge, I am trying things that I would have never tried before!!  I have always been a very picky eater and only eat things that are very basic.

Did you add any fat to meal 2?

a HB egg preWO is easy to grab, and putting down some chicken and sweet potato on the way home in the car (presuming you drive) isn't difficult - i'd have mine in bite sized pieces and just get them in! bake the chicken breast and sweet potato without fat as you don't want any in your postWO meal.

Archived