starting november 14

Claire15

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't mind, I'd like to join too! I'm only doing a Whole14 (pre-thanksgiving and vacation) but need help with accountability as well.

I started on Nov 12 but would love encouragement and be a cheerleader for you all too!

Day 2:

Meal 2: Salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots) w/ tuna (in EVOO, no soy!), 1/2 avocado, squeeze of lime

Small snack when I got home: few bites of roasted chicken

Meal 3: roasted brussels sprouts, asparagus, eggplant, pumpkin w/ roasted chicken, cilantro, lime and a TBSP of tahini on top. Yum!

Day 3:

Meal 1: 1/3 sweet potato, kai lan sauteed in coconut oil, 3 eggs, decaf coffee w/ compliant almond milk

Meal 2: Salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots) w/ roasted chicken, 1/2 avocado, lime, cilantro

My meals are kinda boring but I've been feeling uninspired to cook!!

I like the idea of starting n 14 November. My first Whole30 started on 14 September and became a Whole50. 

Yesterday was a clean, compliant day but I will count today as Day 1 of my new commitment as I wasn't sure how yesterday would pan out!

I am in UK so meal 1 is done and meal 2 is ready in the fridge at work. Meal 3 is defrosting at home ready for a movie night with hubby.

M1 - 2 hard boiled eggs, apple, hazelnut butter (missing veggies but need to go shopping today)

M2 - chicken salad with home made mayo - may add a banana if I'm still hungry as there is a big gap between M2 and M3. 

M3 - beef casserole with stir fried cabbage and bacon. 

I am also doing the Whole30 Plank Challenge during November so will do a 90 second plank at some stage today (see Athlete's board for more info). 

Have a good day buddies 

Hi, Im new to the forum and Id like to join this group too if thats ok. Its good I found the forum today since you're all starting on this very day. I havent introduced myself to the forum yet so I hope its ok if I do so here.

Im Gen. I like in the UK and I have a condition called ulcerative colitis. Ive been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet previously and did well on it but I found it difficult to move through the stages. Ive been desperate to kick start something new with my diet to get symptoms under control. I was going to start Whole30 on the 19th, the day after my son's birthday, but this morning I ate some oatmeal with honey and milk and 2 hours later I want to go to sleep! Im so tired! I have a headache, Im aching all over. This isnt all just from the breakfast, its an accumulation of things from my diet. Sugar, gluten, wheat, etc. I couldnt help think about how much better I felt when I was eating protien and juicing for breakfast. It is quite a challenge to go against the proverbial (and literal) grain with NO support whatsoever. I have other challenges as well in that there are foods that I cannot eat. Nuts and seeds are among those. I also dont eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes anyway, but things like oats, crackers (when Im feeling unwell with a cold for example) creep in.

The other thing I need some suggestions for is wintery stewy type foods. Im missing my hearty foods with all the carbs, the comfort foods with thick gravy soup. Any suggestions in that area?

Im going shopping in a minute so Ill pick up some good stuff while Im out. Im so thankful for this thread!

Hi All,

I am going to join all of you too! I have had too many starts and stops since last February, if you can believe that. I get to around day 10 and it's not the sugar I want but the dairy: cheese. I am going to post here hopefully each day and look forward to getting to know everyone.

I have had the most luck, BTW, with the non non paleo website. Great recipes, including a lot of slow cooker ones.

Good luck everyone on Day 1. I will post later!

Hi, Im new to the forum and Id like to join this group too if thats ok. Its good I found the forum today since you're all starting on this very day. I havent introduced myself to the forum yet so I hope its ok if I do so here.

Im Gen. I like in the UK and I have a condition called ulcerative colitis. Ive been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet previously and did well on it but I found it difficult to move through the stages. Ive been desperate to kick start something new with my diet to get symptoms under control. I was going to start Whole30 on the 19th, the day after my son's birthday, but this morning I ate some oatmeal with honey and milk and 2 hours later I want to go to sleep! Im so tired! I have a headache, Im aching all over. This isnt all just from the breakfast, its an accumulation of things from my diet. Sugar, gluten, wheat, etc. I couldnt help think about how much better I felt when I was eating protien and juicing for breakfast. It is quite a challenge to go against the proverbial (and literal) grain with NO support whatsoever. I have other challenges as well in that there are foods that I cannot eat. Nuts and seeds are among those. I also dont eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes anyway, but things like oats, crackers (when Im feeling unwell with a cold for example) creep in.

The other thing I need some suggestions for is wintery stewy type foods. Im missing my hearty foods with all the carbs, the comfort foods with thick gravy soup. Any suggestions in that area?

Im going shopping in a minute so Ill pick up some good stuff while Im out. Im so thankful for this thread!

Hearty stews are perfect on your whole 30 - I was making big batches of osso bucco, with loads of vegies. Also different beef and lamb casseroles and various curries. Served with sweet potato mash, or cauli/leek purée and they were perfect ....when it was cooler. It's heating up in Aus and we're enjoying more summery foods :)

Those stews/slow cooked meals are great as the meat is usually cheaper, so buying organic/grass fed is pretty economical.

You mentioned juicing - juices and smoothies are discouraged during your whole 30. Chewing your food is preferable - it provides more satiety, and is also how you signal to your body that digestion needs to happen. There is also a different insulin response to eating food compared to drinking the same food that has been smoothied/juiced.

Hello!

So happy to start today:

meal 1: coffee with coconut milk (from scratch). A few eggs, bacon (nitrate free), pumpkin with coconut flakes

meal 2: broccoli slaw sauteed with fresh tomatos, spices and hamburger. An apple - maybe!

meal 3: whole 30 compliant tomato sauce with buffalo, onions and mushrooms

Hello!

So happy to start today:

meal 1: coffee with coconut milk (from scratch). A few eggs, bacon (nitrate free), pumpkin with coconut flakes

meal 2: broccoli slaw sauteed with fresh tomatos, spices and hamburger. An apple - maybe!

meal 3: whole 30 compliant tomato sauce with buffalo, onions and mushrooms

Your bacon doesn't need to be nitrate free - check for sugar or sweeteners and other nasties though!

Meal 2&3 don't have any fat - make sure to add some if you haven't! Also aim to have 2-3 cups of vegies per meal :)

I have had the most luck, BTW, with the non non paleo website

Hi, did you mean 'Nom Nom Paleo' Website? I found it and it looks fab!

Thanks for that Amberino21, you are really on the ball!  That is so helpful. Ill look up some stews for inspiration!

Hi, did you mean 'Nom Nom Paleo' Website? I found it and it looks fab!

Thanks for that Amberino21, you are really on the ball! That is so helpful. Ill look up some stews for inspiration!

My pleasure! Shepherds pie is also easy to make compliant :) (I'm no good with recipe links though, I don't use them...i throw in whatever I think will work!)

Hi Genifer, from a fellow Brit. There is a thread about sourcing compliant foods in UK which is worth looking for. I'll go seek and come back and post a link for you. 

Slow cooker meals are a lifesaver - just chuck in some meat and leave it to cook and produce its own juices. I never add liquid unless I am making an actual recipe. Produces chicken that falls off the bone if you cook a whole chicken (£4.99 in Aldi for a free range chick). And great for pulled pork which I think is what our American friends call carnitas. 

Mmm shepherd's pie sounds like an excelent idea. I've been making lots of chilli.  The chocolate chilli recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl is my new favorite recipe, and I think I'll make a batch every week.  I'm also in the UK, in Bristol :-)

I am starting tomorrow, November 15th. I am a little bit terrified of doing this over Thanksgiving but my body and mind are ready and motivated to start now instead of later.

Lots of thanksgiving foods are Whole30 friendly - think of all the yummy roast vegetables, and turkey (without the stuffing), and sweet potatoes, squash, etc.  :) You could have toasted pecans, and pumpkin seeds...

thanks a bunch Sharyn! Im actually american, but Ive lived in UK for 13 years so I might as well be british. I actually dont live that far from you, Im in plymouth.

Here's the link for the UK sourcing 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5466-sourcing-good-food-in-uk-andor-ireland/

I was in Plymouth last week at the theatre. I'll let you know if I am coming down that way again. It would be good to meet a fellow Whole30er.

I'm following Sharyn here.  I also successfully completed the September 9 Whole30 and continued on.  I took a break this weekend because my husband had a work retreat in Palm Springs with free food and drink, but the noncompliant food made me feel really ill and by the end of the weekend I was compliant by choice and continue to do so.

It helps me to stay part of a group.  This weekend is my final weigh-in and measure for an eight week weight loss/ exercise group that I joined before I discovered Whole30.  I am the thinnest I have been in eight years, about five pounds away from what I weighed on my wedding day.  I realize we are not supposed to focus on the number, but this is the size of myself that I feel proudest of.  I feel beautiful and sexy and would like to maintain that feeling, which is the hardest part for me, because life overtakes, and my eating habits deteriorate and suddenly I am pulling out my "fat" clothes again and not strutting like a peacock anymore.

So this current Whole30 is about maintaining what I have achieved.

I also have started my children on a Paleo lifestyle.  They both have severe forms of ADHD (actually fetal alcohol syndrome) and are exquisitely sensitive to food-borne stimulants.  This lifestyle helps keep them be calm-er.

Sharyn has great food ideas - I'm excited to follow her into this group.  Good luck everyone!

Archived