Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Beli - It sounds like that slip was on the path to much greater clarity and self-awareness.  In my experience that is what happens throughout life.  Lots of "mistakes" that have their purpose in guiding us where we need to go.  Each time I "get it" at a deeper level of understanding my own patterns I am able to see them shift in a new way.  I will certainly be here with you as you extend your W30, since I intend to keep on through February.  I think you have said Monday is your day off, and I believe also you have said that where you live it is summer and beautiful weather.  Do something today that really nurtures and inspires you.  For me, that might be finding someplace beautiful outdoors - don't know what it would be for you!  But try to contradict that disappointment in yourself with self-care and love.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been finding this W30 more difficult than the last 2 I've done, possibly because I have cut back on nuts and am completely avoiding larabars. Since I am sensitive to nightshades and fungus and don't want to overdo it with eggs in case I develop yet another food sensitivity, I've been pretty unoriginal with meal planning. I am getting pretty tired of meat and am looking forward to February when I can have some cheese accompanied by a handful of Lactaid pills.

On the upside, one fun game I have been playing is "leftover roulette". I ate something from my freezer yesterday which I am fairly sure was turkey...like 80% sure, although there is a 20% chance it was rabbit. And then there was the "I sure hope this is veal" meal. Good times.

Beli- good for you that you have decided to start over. Sounds like you learned from this experience which is also an important part of this process.

I drank some wine.  :(

I had people over yesterday, had bought wine for them, had no intention of sharing it. Then in a snap while laying the table I decided wine wasn't so bad and the conviviality mattered more. Only after they went did I realize I had failed myself.

Ok, it's not that wine is terrible, I might perfectly have some occasionally when not on Whole30, but... I was on Whole30. And I was on Whole30 because I wanted to. It was my desire, and just because I feared some people could feel let down, I let myself down.

I'm not a very social person and I tend to not be myself when someone else is around. Maybe that's even the reason why I'm not a very social person, I realize. Forgetting about what I want/need because of somebody else's (supposed) preference has been a major issue in my life. I'm talking about not studying what I wanted to, staying married twelve years to a man I didn't love, being unable to run my own business because I couldn't bring myself to ask for money. Sorry to get so personal... This morning it's like all this is getting clearer because of that glass of wine.

Well, I'm going to thank that mistake for the clarity it's giving me, and wish it helps me learn to stick to myself.

I'd like to stay with you folks as I extend my Whole30. I feel I really need this sense of community and support.  ;)

Life-changing insight trumps a glass of wine any time!

Beli - there are no "mistakes" don't be disappointed. I think you have terrific perspective and I admire your self awareness.

4 days to go! After that I will probably not do the full on reintroduction course since I've done that before, but have a few non-compliant treats (like a sample of the whiskey I got for Christmas and haven't tried yet, maybe some chocolate, greek yogurt) and start another Whole 30 Feb 15th...!

Hi, all.  I can't believe this Whole30 is almost over.  My plan is to indulge a bit this SuperBowl weekend (a dirty martini for sure).

I have to admit I am looking forward to some coconut milk ice cream (ungodly expensive at Whole Foods, but well worth it for an infrequent dairy-free treat), too. 

My next Whole30 will begin on Monday, Feb. 3.  It will actually be a Whole11, as I have a little vacation planned with my family, and I will allow myself some flexibility for a few days.  Then right back to it!  The key for me is not to stray too far for too long. 

I may not have a chance to post before this Whole30 is over, so THANK YOU to all of you for being here!  See you again soon.

There are many on this thread who are expressing intentions to either continue past the 30 days, or take a break and return.  Let's keep the thread going so we can support each other even if each of us is doing something slightly different in the period after this W30 is finished!  For me, the time has passed quickly and relatively easily - at least in part because of the community here.  Thanks to all!

Yes good idea Flamingo, I was thinking about this earlier today.  We've gotten to know one another a bit and can spur each other on some more!  The other day I said I wasn't tempted to eat sweets.  Then yesterday I found a bar of dark chocolate I had bought for the kids while in Germany. I succumbed...:(  But it isn't over, just continuing.  I made sure that my son finished off that chocolate!

Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm having a somewhat difficult time, not sleeping well at night, with a bad bout of constipation and not hungry, a bit confused about where I am. But, nothing that can't be helped, especially with this forum.  :)

I have opened a log in the dedicated forum to help me keep track of what's happening.

I would love it if this thread was to keep going.

The day 29 email kind of sucked! Basically it said, Surely you did amazing, and if so, write us a testimonial. If not, you must have been really a mess beforehand, or else you've been doing it wrong.

I've been 100% with the compliant foods, and been very good about working the meal template.

For sure the big payoff has been that I'm off sugar and don't have physical cravings for it or the related symptoms. Also the blender should have a longer life due to its month off of smoothie duty.

I had hoped that I would see a difference in the way my pants fit, but no. My sleep has been poor (it's normally fine), which affects my energy levels. And I have had crazy PMS symptoms for an entire week, which has *never happened in my entire life (normally I have 0-1 day of mild symptoms). PMS + lack of sleep = less enthusiasm for everything, even sashimi.

I figure I'm this far in, and maybe my body needs more time to adjust. I'm going to extend to Whole45.

The day 29 email kind of sucked! Basically it said, Surely you did amazing, and if so, write us a testimonial. If not, you must have been really a mess beforehand, or else you've been doing it wrong.

I've been 100% with the compliant foods, and been very good about working the meal template.

For sure the big payoff has been that I'm off sugar and don't have physical cravings for it or the related symptoms. Also the blender should have a longer life due to its month off of smoothie duty.

I had hoped that I would see a difference in the way my pants fit, but no. My sleep has been poor (it's normally fine), which affects my energy levels. And I have had crazy PMS symptoms for an entire week, which has *never happened in my entire life (normally I have 0-1 day of mild symptoms). PMS + lack of sleep = less enthusiasm for everything, even sashimi.

I figure I'm this far in, and maybe my body needs more time to adjust. I'm going to extend to Whole45.

Wow!  Good for you to stick with it even when you're not feeling like it has been all that helpful. I hope the extra days will show some amazing results.  I too plan to stick with it longer and to get to either 45 or 60.  We can all keep cheering each other on.

All of these symptoms make me believe you have possibly gone too low carb or just not eating enough in general.  Perhaps you just need longer, perhaps you need tweeks. You might try posting something in the troubleshooting section including some sample days of food/movement/sleep etc and see if you get better answers. 

This is a good post to read for everyone nearing the end. http://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/ Not sure if it is linked in that Day 29 email as I personally didn't do the emails when I did my Whole30.

Same here. I have not had any fantastic result. Personally I think if you eat a SAD diet before than you have better results, if you are already eating clean, there isn't much room for improvement. I had hoped I would be sleeping better. I am even taking time released melatonin and it doesn't help AT ALL! I feel exactly the same as I did on day one. The only improvement was my acid reflux but that could also be because I was taking my digestive enzymes at every meal. Maybe a miracle will happen on day 45.

I join the chorus: I haven't felt much difference and I'm even less good now because of the constipation. It must indeed be annoying to receive an accusatory email. I think Tina's right that when you're already eating pretty clean, no great wonder occurs. These more subtle and in-depth changes probably take more time.

I just found a possibly useful tool in assessing one's progress (or lack thereof). It's a Multiple Symptom Questionnaire provided by dr. Tom O'Bryan. It's very easy to check all of one's symptoms to keep as a record, and then one can fill it again some months after implementing a new protocol. Good for keeping track of diverse things that can change instead of staying focused on only one problem. 

http://theglutensummit.com/now-that-you-know-where-do-you-go/?inf_contact_key=8472dbd7a386d33fabeff8bde3d368c68b6bbf8dc664e1c5d9cf39c63c21add7

This is my second W30, and I haven't felt profound changes either time.  Sleep is still a problem, and I wake up slowly and not feeling at all energetic.  However, staying off of sugar and keeping a serious discipline energizes me in other ways.  At least some of the time I'm more alert, and mentally and emotionally energetic.  I have had some pretty serious digestive issues including surgery and post-surgical problems.  My digestion is unquestionably better on the W30, and I had a few days of really normal digestion, which didn't last but hopefully will return.  All this to say that it is true that when you have started from a paleo diet to begin with the changes are not likely to be startling, and that persistent issues in the body may not be sufficiently addressed by food alone. 

I don't get the emails but it sounds like day 29 is not thoughtfully written - perhaps somebody wants to address that and consider some changes!  Beli's suggestions to look more broadly at health and well being issues also seems to be a good one - I haven't taken a look yet at that questionaire, but I will.  Hopefully we can each make an effort to tally our successes and appreciate whatever the process of this W30 has brought us.  I will continue to W60 because experience tells me that my bad habits are strong and that I need a longer break from them than 30 days.

Same here. I have not had any fantastic result. Personally I think if you eat a SAD diet before than you have better results, if you are already eating clean, there isn't much room for improvement. I had hoped I would be sleeping better. I am even taking time released melatonin and it doesn't help AT ALL! I feel exactly the same as I did on day one. The only improvement was my acid reflux but that could also be because I was taking my digestive enzymes at every meal. Maybe a miracle will happen on day 45.

On the sleeping better front what other things have you tried? Not getting enough sleep could be the reason you are not getting what you want out of your W30 not necessarily a symptom. Sleep is often much more than food alone.

On the sleeping better front what other things have you tried? Not getting enough sleep could be the reason you are not getting what you want out of your W30 not necessarily a symptom. Sleep is often much more than food alone.

I have tried Natural Calm, Valerian root, calms forte, regular melatonin. I have also tried hot baths with lavender oil and Epsom salts, sleepytime tea and yoga. I am ready to get some drugs from my doctor but those just cover up the problem. This all started with my back injury 5 years ago. I don't dream anymore either. I have no problem going to sleep, then I wake up 3 - 5 hours later. It could be my bed. This is the 2nd bed in two years and I hate it. Just don't have the funds for a new one at the moment.

I saw a difference when I switched to a paleo diet a year ago- less bloating, better blood sugar control, lost 10 pounds over the course of a few months...when I do a Whole30, its more like fine tuning. Never experienced the famous 'Tiger Blood' that people are talking about and I've been extra cranky this time around. My skin is looking better though and I'm feeling refreshed.

I am already thinking about breakfast on saturday: bacon, duck eggs over easy and a side salad. I may also make some turnip and parsnip home fries. I'm excited to be reunited with my true love - bacon.

I too am grateful for the break from sugar. It has been challenging and eye-opening.

My eyes got a little better. They're less irritated now and the twitching in the eyelid hasn't reappeared.

I definitely think I made a little muscle.

My sleep didn't get better nor worse.

My period was almost on time (good thing), PMS lighter than usual, but I felt very weak during several days —I don't know if that was from the period or the lack of starchy carbs or both.

The one thing that went really bad is my digestion. It puzzles me. It used to be a constant issue for me, until I corrected a few things: sleeping more, taking probiotics, eliminating dairy, and going Paleo. Since then it was almost good ...until now! :o  The only changes the Whole30 brought to my diet are sugar and caffeine. The absence of one of these must then be responsible. I'm guessing maybe some of my gut flora was feeding on the sugar and was destroyed. If this proves true, reintroducing the sugar wouldn't bring them back, I'd possibly have to get them through some prebiotic. I don't know, I'm just making this up, but maybe this could explain the disturbances so many people experience in digestion and, less directly, in sleep, period and vulnerability to illness during their Whole30.

The one thing that went really bad is my digestion. It puzzles me. It used to be a constant issue for me, until I corrected a few things: sleeping more, taking probiotics, eliminating dairy, and going Paleo. Since then it was almost good ...until now! :o  The only changes the Whole30 brought to my diet are sugar and caffeine. The absence of one of these must then be responsible. I'm guessing maybe some of my gut flora was feeding on the sugar and was destroyed. If this proves true, reintroducing the sugar wouldn't bring them back, I'd possibly have to get them through some prebiotic. I don't know, I'm just making this up, but maybe this could explain the disturbances so many people experience in digestion and, less directly, in sleep, period and vulnerability to illness during their Whole30.

I was just thinking about this and caffeine is a stimulant. It is possible that you have a colon that has slower, less frequent haustral contractions than is optimal and caffeine was helping with that. When waste moves through the colon at a slower than normal pace too much water is reabsorbed and the waste becomes very compact and even harder for the colon to move forward this leads to constipation. Just a thought but maybe you could reintro some high quality coffee either black or with some coconut milk for a few days to see what happens? Hope you can get this sorted, I know digestive issues are miserable.

All of these symptoms make me believe you have possibly gone too low carb or just not eating enough in general.  Perhaps you just need longer, perhaps you need tweeks. You might try posting something in the troubleshooting section including some sample days of food/movement/sleep etc and see if you get better answers. 

This is a good post to read for everyone nearing the end. http://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/ Not sure if it is linked in that Day 29 email as I personally didn't do the emails when I did my Whole30.

Thanks for the input. There is no way I am not eating enough food! And I'm not low-carbing either--usually 2-3 fruits per day (it's high summer here). I haven't run since last weekend because I have been just so tired out, but otherwise had been jogging/biking/pilatesing the first 3 weeks.

I'm going to try the whole bath and cup of herbal tea before bed routine ...normally I just go to bed when I'm tired and I go right out.

I'm not used to trying to do anything to sleep. Pretty much my whole life, it's been, just go to bed and close my eyes. This month has been very unusual. Nothing in my routine has otherwise changed. I'm not interested in taking anything to make me sleep.

I was just thinking about this and caffeine is a stimulant. It is possible that you have a colon that has slower, less frequent haustral contractions than is optimal and caffeine was helping with that. When waste moves through the colon at a slower than normal pace too much water is reabsorbed and the waste becomes very compact and even harder for the colon to move forward this leads to constipation. Just a thought but maybe you could reintro some high quality coffee either black or with some coconut milk for a few days to see what happens? Hope you can get this sorted, I know digestive issues are miserable.

Thank you Rebecca. You know, I think I might just do that. Other people have suggested the same and I preferred to try other things first because I wanted to stay off caffeine. But I've had 30 days off, it'll be interesting to reintroduce it and see what happens.

I just discovered Dave Asprey has a theory that lesser-quality coffee has mold and histamine which are the components responsible for over excitation, accelerated heartbeat and subsequent crash. It rang a bell in me because these are just the reasons why I don't usually drink coffee and prefer tea. 

I have tried Natural Calm, Valerian root, calms forte, regular melatonin. I have also tried hot baths with lavender oil and Epsom salts, sleepytime tea and yoga. I am ready to get some drugs from my doctor but those just cover up the problem. This all started with my back injury 5 years ago. I don't dream anymore either. I have no problem going to sleep, then I wake up 3 - 5 hours later. It could be my bed. This is the 2nd bed in two years and I hate it. Just don't have the funds for a new one at the moment.

I'm sorry to hear all this. On this issue you might be beyond the "it starts with food" place. Have you had a sleep study done? Beds do make a huge difference too. We got a new one finally a couple years ago and it did a lot to improve my sleep. We too waited way too long because of funds. 

Thanks for the input. There is no way I am not eating enough food! And I'm not low-carbing either--usually 2-3 fruits per day (it's high summer here). I haven't run since last weekend because I have been just so tired out, but otherwise had been jogging/biking/pilatesing the first 3 weeks.

I'm going to try the whole bath and cup of herbal tea before bed routine ...normally I just go to bed when I'm tired and I go right out.

Are you eating starchy vegetables as well or just fruit? I hope you find the solution to your energy problems and I would love to help any way I can. 

I'm sorry to hear all this. On this issue you might be beyond the "it starts with food" place. Have you had a sleep study done? Beds do make a huge difference too. We got a new one finally a couple years ago and it did a lot to improve my sleep. We too waited way too long because of funds. 

I didn't have any trouble sleeping before my back injury. I do not have any of the symptoms of a sleep disorder. I am sure my hormones are all out of whack. Maybe someday I will sleep better. Thanks.

Archived