Wine reduction sauces

biancadonk

I believe this was addressed in the Can I Have...? blog post, but I still don't quite understand. I know no alcohol is allowed, but when you deglaze a pan with wine, you usually let the wine simmer for a period until it's reduced by about half. My understanding is that when you do this, all the alcohol boils off. In fact, I've given this type of dish to my two young kids, who I would obviously not give any alcohol to. Is this kind of preparation still considered non-compliant with Whole30, even though the alcohol that was initially present is gone?

In the Whole30 world, the decision is, "No cooking with wine."

I thought the rule was "no alcohol"? I actually just looked back over the "Can I Have...?" post and it only mentions wine in the context of dijon mustard. The Whole30 guidelines say "do not consume alcohol," which makes it seem like it would be okay as long as the alcohol is cooked off. 

I guess the concern is that there may be a tiny amount of alcohol left in the mix, in which case it would definitely be out. I suppose I'll have to leave my reduction sauce off of my steak since I'm not about to get out my chemistry set to make sure!  :P

Archived