Day 3 First Whole 30

chanan88

Hi!

I started my first whole30 on Jan 4th, I had a serious carb/sugar/booze/anything I could get my hands on blow out the fortnight before, I've been researching paleo for a few weeks now and finally decided to give it a go!!!

I started at the weekend to try give myself a few days at home to get into the swing of it!!! I have just moved house and not very handy in the kitchen but I've been enjoying the excuse of all the healthy new recipes to force me try and cook some!!

Day 1- Mega diet coke withdrawals, I spent the day in bed/lying on couch with the lights off with a  pounding headache!! What happened to the 1st day great feeling!!

Day 2 - woke up bright an early made breakfast then went for a massive nap!!! No headache which was a plus not feeling too bad but as half the day was sleeping I cant really complain!

Day 3 and its my first day back at work from Christmas break!! I'm feeling tired , but not more tired than I usually would on a Monday morning feeling very organised with my salmon and mixed veg leftovers in the fridge and drawer full of fruit snacks to keep me going, I've booked into crossfit class tonight but I'm not sure how much energy I'll have come 6pm. I haven't had my usual tea/coffee this morning which'll be contributing to my zzz's. A nice early night tonight and hopefully I'll be more energised for day 4!!

I would love to hear how other newbies are getting on with their first few days!! Or any tips from those who've done it 100 times with motivation to keep me going!! :) :)

Hey there! I am on Day 2 of my first whole30!! Day 1 was fine, I was more hungry than usual but could be getting used to eating vegetables which I don't really like! I did not sleep well either, I was restless but so tired!! Today (Day 2) I am having off and on head aches and shakes...tired but can't sleep... I started on Saturday for the same reason of wanting to get a few days in before work. It is Sunday here, and a blizzard...so work cancelled tomorrow which is a good thing because I am expecting tomorrow to be worse with the head aches...good luck and let's keep in touch! :) we can do this!!!

oh no, those don't sound like easy days! I've been guzzling water incase the headaches are dehydration!! At least you have an extra day to settle into the programme without work!!

I was so tired last night after crossfit I made my dinner then went straight to bed without making my lunch for today!! Luckily I was up bright and early (a rarity for me) and managed to make my breakfast (mushroom omellete and berry smoothie) and my lunch (baked salmon & asparagus) and still made it to work on time!!! I definitely need to get into the routine of preparing lunches at night!!! too much stress in the morning!

oh no, those don't sound like easy days! I've been guzzling water incase the headaches are dehydration!! At least you have an extra day to settle into the programme without work!!

I was so tired last night after crossfit I made my dinner then went straight to bed without making my lunch for today!! Luckily I was up bright and early (a rarity for me) and managed to make my breakfast (mushroom omellete and berry smoothie) and my lunch (baked salmon & asparagus) and still made it to work on time!!! I definitely need to get into the routine of preparing lunches at night!!! too much stress in the morning!

FYI: smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. Too easy to have too much fruit at once, and chewing your food is more satiating than drinking it.

Thanks! I was having it with my breakfast not instead! I'll try and avoid them now though if its discouraged! Just love them!

I would add to this that fruit is not really recommended as a snack as it spikes your blood sugar (saw something about a drawer of fruit snacks). If you need a snack a mini meal (protein, fat, veg) is preferable. An easy way to get it is to plan your M2 a little bigger than you think you need and just have the leftovers for an emergency. Fruit is better as 1-2 servings a day with a meal as per the template.

Oh no! I've been doing so well with my meal planning and eating!!! Then I go and forget my lunch!! Disaster!!

I work near a supermarket so have access to food, but I don't know what I can buy that quick and easy & paleo friendly!! I work on a building site so have no kitchen facilities (apart from a kettle)!!

Normally I'd get lunch from subway or mcdonalds but those aren't options now & I'm struggling to think of what I can eat!!! HELP!!

Oh no! I've been doing so well with my meal planning and eating!!! Then I go and forget my lunch!! Disaster!!

I work near a supermarket so have access to food, but I don't know what I can buy that quick and easy & paleo friendly!! I work on a building site so have no kitchen facilities (apart from a kettle)!!

Normally I'd get lunch from subway or mcdonalds but those aren't options now & I'm struggling to think of what I can eat!!! HELP!!

Does the supermarket have pre-packaged hard boiled eggs?  

Other protein thoughts: compliant prosciutto, can of compliant tuna, chicken or sardines.

Veggie: get a bag of pre cut/peeled baby carrots.

Fat: pick up a jar of compliant olives or grab an avocado (if you get the latter, pick up some plastic utensils so you can cut the avocado back at work.)

It doesn't have eggs, I'll get a tin of tuna & carrots. How do I check its compliant? (that may be a dumb question sorry!)

Make sure that tuna doesn't have any oil! Just tuna :) that was great advice above me and no question is dumb, we are all learning :)

Actually, tuna in olive oil is fine (and that would also cover your fat portion). Tuna with no oil works too.  Watch out for tuna containing soybean oil, which is not compliant.

Oh no! Day Slip up, one of the guys from site brought me in rhubarb from his garden & in order to get it out of my kitchen quick I made paleo friendly rhubarb pie  for the guys on site, as they were paleo friendly I didn't think it would be an issue having one! I realised today that cause they had honey in them (1 tablespoon between 12 pies) they aren't whole30 friendly Arghhh!!! I'm kicking myself!!! Back to day 1 :( :(

Oh no! Day Slip up, one of the guys from site brought me in rhubarb from his garden & in order to get it out of my kitchen quick I made paleo friendly rhubarb pie  for the guys on site, as they were paleo friendly I didn't think it would be an issue having one! I realised today that cause they had honey in them (1 tablespoon between 12 pies) they aren't whole30 friendly Arghhh!!! I'm kicking myself!!! Back to day 1 :( :(

Sugar doesn't generally constitute a restart unless you said "this has sugar in it and I'm going to eat it anyway" with a muhahah laugh attached. It was a slip. Maybe wait the additional days at the end without sugar (but start your other intros) to make full 30 days without sugar. Of course paleoified treats are also not allowed on a W30 as we are trying to change your perception of foods. Overall you are fine to continue just wait on the sugar a bit longer.

I knew about the Paleo treats not being allowed, the only reason I baked at all (I'm usually a cupcake fiend) was for the guys on site, apart from that I've been careful not too paleo-fy my meals!! I read about SWPOs ;)

So glad I don't have to start again  I'm half way through and I don't know if I could motivate myself to start from scratch!! thanks for the advise will do that at the end!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Whoop I'm done!!!!!

I did my *after* measurements and weighed myself and I've lost 21 inches across my body & lost 7.7kgs!! WOW I am super surprised as I've been eating more the last 30days than I ever have!! Although it has been a proper body shock to me eating healthy whole foods!!! I guess it shows how unhealthy my diet was before I started the whole30!!!

Woops! forgot to note anything apart from the weight! Clearly I'm still too scale orientated! I do feel great but I don't know if its tiger blood (whatever that is) but I'm not sluggish or craving the bad food I'd lived on before!! I do think i'll continue eating paleo as i'm loving how my skin looks!

Archived