Amount of Fat - what counts?

orthodoxmom3

Is the amount of fat with each meal separate or do you count what you use in cooking?  For example, if I'm frying eggs in coconut oil, how much of that would count towards the amount of fat I'm consuming??  Obviously some of it is still left in the pan....   or if I fry beef in oil for a stir fry for the whole family, does any of that count or does each meal have to have nuts or avocado, etc. added to the plate separately?

okay...thanks.   So what do most people do?  They eat 1-2 thumbs of coconut oil??  nuts with every meal?? I have 1/2 avocado with my breakfast.  But I don't always add anything extra to lunch or dinner. Sometimes nuts on a salad or just a handful with it...but not usually.  Can anyone share with me how they add it to those meals if it's not included in the cooking of the meal?  I suppose it wouldn't be terribly hard...just strange to get used to.  And isn't there a limit to the amount of nuts we should have?

You can add ghee or oil to your vegetables, you can add 1/2 an avocado, you can add homemade mayo to a piece of meat, make a salad dressing, add olives, you can sprinkle coconut flakes over something. Lots of options. Nuts are probably best used at most in one meal a day as they are on the limit list. There are so many options really!

This is something I've been thinking about also. If I have a meal that consists of 2 hardboiled eggs chopped with 1/2 an avocado and 2 small homemade sausage patties (my breakfasts this week) does the fat from the eggs and the ground turkey thigh count towards the fat intake on the meal template? Or if I have a serving of grilled salmon with a mixed-veggie salad for lunch, is it too much fat to add olive oil-vinegar salad dressing, since the salmon already includes around 10 grams of fat? Sometimes my salads include spinach, chopped mixed veggies (green pepper, carrots, jicama) tomatoes and 1/4 avocado. If I have that with dressing and say, a chicken thigh as my protein source, is that going over what I need fat wise? 

This is something I've been thinking about also. If I have a meal that consists of 2 hardboiled eggs chopped with 1/2 an avocado and 2 small homemade sausage patties (my breakfasts this week) does the fat from the eggs and the ground turkey thigh count towards the fat intake on the meal template? Or if I have a serving of grilled salmon with a mixed-veggie salad for lunch, is it too much fat to add olive oil-vinegar salad dressing, since the salmon already includes around 10 grams of fat? Sometimes my salads include spinach, chopped mixed veggies (green pepper, carrots, jicama) tomatoes and 1/4 avocado. If I have that with dressing and say, a chicken thigh as my protein source, is that going over what I need fat wise? 

You are over thinking this. All those meals sound fine to me. Don't worry about the fat content of your protein sources as that will vary from meal to meal. Just add some fat. If you want avocado and dressing on a salad go for it. Eat what makes you feel satisfied. 

• 2 weeks later...

Should be protein, veggies and healthy fat at every meal?

Yep, every one! My favorite option is homemade mayo (no store-bought brand is compliant - they generally have soybean oil). Also coconut (various forms - coconut milk in a curry, for example, or coconut flakes), ghee, animal fats from well-sourced animals (e.g., lard from pastured pigs), salad dressings made with olive oil, and sometimes nuts. Nuts aren't something to go crazy with, but do count as a fat on a Whole30. Depending on what your protein is, that might "count" - for example, a piece of salmon has a lot more fat than a chicken breast, so you may not need as much added fat if you're eating salmon.

• 2 weeks later...

I eat avocado with most of my meals when i have them but am loving my mayo....I made it with an egg and a whole bottle of avocado oil with garlic and some salt and pepper for seasoning...it s awesome with eggs, salad, vegies and even protein...so creamy and decadent...

please no one tell me i need to give it up...

I like coconut milk with tropical fruit, avocado and olives in salads( and you can add extra olive oil after dressing if you are still a bit low, ghee melted on vegetables, and in addition to mayonnaise I also make avocado, basil and olive oil salad dressing from nom nom paleo, which is delicious, as well as her remoulade sauce ( mayonnaise, paprika, capers, pepper flakes) to go with steak or chicken.

Archived