Right amount of carbs/fats/protein to fuel workouts?

Colleen Roy

Ok, I know we aren't supposed to track calories, but I was curious to see what proportion of a typical days food was carbs/fats/proteins to see if I'm eating enough to fuel half marathon training (running 3-4 days a week with one day being speed work and one long run, as well as two strength days-usually a 30-45 minute kettle bell workout).

Here's what myfitnesspal came up with for today:

1460 calories

201 g carbs

49 g fats

55 g protein

Is this a good balance? The carbs seems really high! But the overall calories are not? Any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Colleen

• Moderators

The focus here is eating a palm size portion of protein, a thumb size portion of fat, and filling the rest of your plate with veggies. Then there are a few options to add more protein, more fat, or starchy carbs as required to maintain your activity levels.

Given that the Whole30 encourages you to not track calories and does not promote a specific carb/fat/protein ratio, the Whole30 forum is not an appropriate place to solicit feedback about your calorie count and ratios.

The Whole30 works. Counting calories and worrying about ratios is a good way to make yourself crazy. Stick with the program!

I feel like the bad guy saying this, but I think it is important.

Thanks Tom,

I guess I should have rephrased my question by listing what I ate instead of breaking it down into grams/calories? I was just looking for feedback on the amounts of carbs/fats and how they were affecting my long runs.

I promise I have not used this tool before-I was just curious about whether or not I was eating enough carbs/fats. I understand the meal plan and I think I have been following it pretty closely, but I still feel that my energy levels on long runs is not where I'd like it to be. All my long runs, including the half marathon I did at the end of my first whole 30 were hard-REALLY hard. The good news is that while the runs were difficult and slower than what I was doing pre-whole30, my recovery was significantly faster.

I don't have the time or energy to be logging in to another site to track anything, just wanted a snapshot to get an idea of what I was doing. I plan to continue to stick with the program-without worrying about the ratios-but I will continue to play around with the types of vegetables I'm eating every day, especially in the days before my long runs. And I definitely don't care about the calories. I know it works. My clothes are all too big after the last round! :)

how is your recovery? are you hitting the times you want in training?

I try to let performance markers tell me what my body needs. So if I'm training a lot I will increase my carbohydrates. If recovery is suffering I check in and make sure I'm eating enough protein. Does that make sense?

If your training is going well, I wouldn't worry about how it all shakes out in grams.

My times have definitely gotten slower. I know it is due to a combination of heat, trying to figure out the right balance of carbs, fats and proteins and less than optimal training since my last race in the spring. We ran a half at the end of our first whole30 and it was not pretty. One of my slowest. I'm not stressing about it-I didn't expect to PR or anything, but didn't expect to do as poorly as I did.

Had a good 5K tonight-it's a weekly trail race series and I ran it in 30 minutes tonight and felt good. I think I'm headed in the right direction and was lacking in the healthy fats department during the first whole30. Paying closer attention to it this time around and feeling better. Thanks for the suggestions!

My times have definitely gotten slower. I know it is due to a combination of heat, trying to figure out the right balance of carbs, fats and proteins and less than optimal training since my last race in the spring. We ran a half at the end of our first whole30 and it was not pretty. One of my slowest. I'm not stressing about it-I didn't expect to PR or anything, but didn't expect to do as poorly as I did.

Had a good 5K tonight-it's a weekly trail race series and I ran it in 30 minutes tonight and felt good. I think I'm headed in the right direction and was lacking in the healthy fats department during the first whole30. Paying closer attention to it this time around and feeling better. Thanks for the suggestions!

This is sobering to read. :-( I'm actually starting my first whole30 today. My goal/A-race for 2012 is 6 weeks away, and it's a half-Ironman triathlon in Maine with a 13.1 mile run at the end. I raced it last year and missed my PR by less than a minute. I had done that race as I've been eating a mostly zone (50/25/25) diet for the last 3 years.

So naturally I am hoping that this year with the sugar-free and carb reduced whole30 I'd be stronger and faster. It's just going to be interesting to see how my recovery and speed feel on workouts leading up to the race. I wonder how you feel 2 days after your 5Km weekly races. Is recovery better now with more nuts/seeds?

My next race is probably the sprint distance boston triathlon (urban epic in southie) on 8/12/12. Wonder how it'll go, and if nutrition will be a factor at all? I'm planning to just do almond-butter on a banana in the morning, then eat raisins during the race. Since it's a short tri I don't anticipate problems, whereas staying sugar-free for the 70.3 longer tri might be nearly impossible as it'll take 5hrs+ to complete. I'll do some paleo endurance nutrition research first, for sure. ;)

Cheers, -Sunny

I wonder how you feel 2 days after your 5Km weekly races. Is recovery better now with more nuts/seeds?

Sunny-I'm feeling fine after the shorter races. It's been the longer runs I'm struggling with, but like I said, the addition of and attention to healthy fats has helped. Starting with a training group for my next half marathon (Baystate in October) next week-assuming the ankle I rolled on today's run is better! :angry:

I would suggest that you also pay close attention to those carb/nutrient rich veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, etc. and make sure you are eating enough of everything to sustain those long workouts! If you do that, you should be fine for your 70.3. I dream of doing a tri someday....thinking of giving the Try the Tri series a go next summer. I can run and bike, but swimming is not a strength for me at all! I'd need LOTS of practice-maybe even a few swim lessons! Just don't have an efficient stroke-I'm afraid I'd drown from exhaustion!

Ladies--perhaps your performance changes could be mental? Try not to think about it too much. It is important to assess your new way of eating with your standard training/racing, but I wouldn't try to put the puzzle together too much. Eating this way is the best thing you can do for your body. Exercise is second (still highly important), but you need to give your body time to adjust, that's all.

Good luck to both of you, I definitely respect these events you are competing in!

I dream of doing a tri someday....thinking of giving the Try the Tri series a go next summer. I can run and bike, but swimming is not a strength for me at all! I'd need LOTS of practice-maybe even a few swim lessons! Just don't have an efficient stroke-I'm afraid I'd drown from exhaustion!

Colleen - You should come up to Maine next July and do the Tri for a Cure. It's an all-women triathlon to benefit the Maine Cancer Foundation, and 75% of the women are first-time triathletes. They even have a newbie wave for the swim!

Colleen - You should come up to Maine next July and do the Tri for a Cure. It's an all-women triathlon to benefit the Maine Cancer Foundation, and 75% of the women are first-time triathletes. They even have a newbie wave for the swim!

Maureen-that sounds perfect! When and where is it? Is it an ocean swim or lake? You've piqued my curiosity now! I'm rehabbing a sprained ankle right now and have not been able to run since Wednesday and I am VERY CRANKY today. Thinking about jumping on my bike for a ride...it's either that or I will be eating some french toast with maple syrup......(good thing there is NO bread in my house! ;) )

Last weekend in July in South Portland (campus of SMCC). It's a .33 mile swim in the ocean, 15.5 mile bike (gorgeous route!) and a 5K run. Here's the link: http://www.mainetriforacure.org

Registration has become really competitive, so they moved to a lottery this year. I'd done tris with pool swims before, and last year's Tri for a Cure was my first ocean swim. It's a great environment for new triathletes, and I've experienced none of the nastiness I've heard about in other swims.

Archived