Day 29 and Constipated (another poop thread!)

Hello whole9 community!

I have been perusing all of these boards since last May when I completed my first whole30. I hadn't signed up for an account yet since I just enjoyed reading everything and could usually find answers to my questions on other threads. Unfortunately I have come to sign up for an account and write this post because I am experiencing difficulty so far that I can't seem to find a solution for. Another one about, you guessed it! Constipation…

A little background- when I started my first whole30 last May I was going into it with a relatively clean diet, I didn't ALWAYS eat processed junk, but I also didn't always eat enough fruits and veggies. One of my reasons for doing whole30 was because I wanted to transition over to a clean diet that could be sustained. I was constantly experiencing stomach troubles, aches, pains, non-solid stools, constipation. Like many other people I just thought it was something I dealt with, and completely normalized it. I also had terrible eczema that did not go away no matter how diligent I was with colder showers, moisturizing and leaving a restaurant job where my hands were constantly in and out of different chemicals. During whole30 most of my problems disappeared, my eczema, my heart burn, stomach aches, I felt great! After reintroduction I discovered problems with both dairy and gluten. A couple of days after eating dairy my eczema rashes return, and sometimes entire body itchiness. Gluten as we all know is just yucky and just gives me a terrible stomach ache almost right after eating it (not to mention constipation for days).

So folks, here is my problem. First whole 30 and now this second one- I'm on day 29 today- is constipation. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, I just don't poop. Then there are other times that I feel so bloated that my stomach hurts. (which is what I'm feeling today). The first whole30 I experimented with fermented foods like sauerkraut and kombucha and it sort of helped. After whole30 I continued not eating dairy or gluten, aside from the occasional “worth it†treat that was maybe once or twice a month. I also eat rice and corn occasionally, about once or twice a week but usually only in pho, at chipotle or sushi, things like that. I was still having issues with digestion, not pooping and then all of the sudden after eating having to go right away and it wouldn't be solid and have lots of food floating in it. Now into this whole30 I started taking digestive enzymes the first week after reading all about them and figuring that my gut was still repairing itself from years of an unknown allergy (I mean milk started to make my stomach hurt when I was 17 and I never put it together…). For the first week after taking them things seemed to get better, my stools were solid for once. Sometimes though they were tiny. And then I wouldn't go for a day and then when I would again it would just be huge. (I know this is graphic but I feel it's necessary) Now into the 3rd week things have been really hit or miss. I've continued taking my digestive enzymes, I've tried chugging water before breakfast in the morning, lots of sauerkraut, kombucha. Today I am at the point where my stomach hurts because I need to go so bad. I haven't tried magnesium, or probiotics and I have seen that suggested a lot so I'm not really sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated! I just am wondering what the heck is going on in there.

Here is an example of meals:

Breakfast- I alternate between 2-3 eggs with veggies on side, a mix of squash, zuchinni, onion, mushrooms, kale/spinach, avocado or olives, sweet potato.

On days I don't have eggs I have “latkes†that I make with sweet potato, zuchinni/ squash, apple (sometimes), coco flour, garlic, cumin, compliant breakfast sausage, olives. I usually always cook veggies in coconut oil, eggs in avocado oil or bacon fat.

Lunch- the past week it's been- Mexican spaghetti squash casserole with chicken, red pepper, onion, jalapeno, tomato sauce, cilantro. Bora bora fireballs from well fed with butternut squash and kale.

Dinner- Chocolate chili from theclothesmakethegirl, mahi mahi with asparagus, compliant chicken sausage with kale, squash. Buffalo burger with broccoli.

My meals are pretty consistent in this manner. I could be more specific if I need to but usually a general idea helps too.

Please help!

If I understand correctly, this has been a long term challenge for you.  Have doctors ever checked you for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

I wonder if, once you complete day 30, it would make sense for you to try the AIP Whole30 and see if that helps you?

Can you also shelve the coffee for a bit?  That's probably not helping your constipation.

Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of half your body weight in ounces, daily.

hmmm...I have never been checked for IBS but looked at the description and perhaps I should be more specific of my problems. In the past it has usually been things that I have eaten that I have found to be problematic through the whole30 that cause stomach pains and that sort of thing. The digestive enzymes have completely solved the "loose" stool problem entirely. The problem I guess is just the constipation. I usually go every other day, sometimes two days in between. I don't know if I am just creating a problem in my head with the "amount" that I am going since prior to whole30 my stools were always rather large (body wasting all the stuff it couldn't use, which was most of what I was eating it seemed). So perhaps I am just not used to having smaller stools? But the frequency is off for sure. Do you think probiotics would also help? Or magnesium? I haven't tried those yet.... 

• Moderators

Even though I can't imagine regular being every other day, I understand that medically, every other day bowel movements is considered within the normal range. I would not really worry about not going every day, but the painful feelings are concerning. 

Taking the magnesium supplement Natural Calm every night would likely help with constipation. Most people have loose stools when they first start taking it, although you adjust over the course of a week. 

I doubt taking probiotic pills would add much to eating fermented foods regularly. 

I have similar issues. I've been gluten and dairy free for almost 5yrs. I recently learned that coffee has the same protein make-up as gluten and dairy. Thought if I could have a cup or 2 once or twice a week I would be fine. Not true for me. I'm on day 17 and day 4 with no coffee. I've done the no coffee before and it takes me about a week to get back to"normal". I think I'm also going to try the Natural Calm to see if that helps. Good luck!

I have very similiar issues and I find that probiotics and Natural Calm do help me!  I had to try about 3 different brands of probiotics before I found one that helped me, but now I don't miss a day taking them.  I used to only have movements a few times a week and now i go EVERYDAY.  I have also heard that if you have leaky gut it could take a while to heal and any little hint of non-compliant food can set you way off balance.  This is my third or fourth W30 and I use fermented foods daily as well.  I just think some of us need more help with the probiotics.

Feeling like a rabbit or a deer!! Day 25 on whole 30 and am having small hard poop.it's been that way almost from the start. I drink plenty of water, balance whole 30 diet, lots of exercise, good sleep.

I tried drinking kombucha, LOVED it, but has trace amount of alcohol and I'm in recovery, so don't want to risk a relapse. I will try some fermented foods, and the natural calm. What are some examples of fermented foods and how often do I need to eat them?

Thank YOU!!!

Archived