Holy Ammonia smell!

EvB

Hi,

I'm 5 days in to W30 and formerly a strict paleo eater. I did a speedy run the other morning and reeked of ammonia after! It was overwhelming! I also got nauseated about 20 minutes after i finished the run. I know ammonia is burning protein but wondered if this is a + or - in terms of fat loss or what have you. I used to have this happen in the past when I was running 65+ miles/week and eating a normal diet. This is the first time it has happened since I went paleo and W30 (and I run a *lot* less now and mostly do cardio and crossfit instead). Any thoughts? Thanks! Eve

sounds like you could be going keto. are you eating enough high carb veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, winter squash? You'll need it to fuel your workouts.

Thanks. I didn't know ammonia smell was another possible sign of ketosis.  I also have the urine odor often so it's likely.  I'm usually around 70-80g of total carbs and 40-50g of net carbs during the week, then load up a little bit on weekends due to my heavier training schedule.

When you go into ketosis, Acetone (like in fingernail polish remover) is expelled through the skin and respiration. Ketosis isn't dangerous for normal healthy people, and is frequently used as a tool to burn fat. Just eat some extra carbs to make sure you are able to replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived