I'm so confused about iodized salt

Hro930

I'm on my 3rd day of Whole30 and it's going well but I have a question. I read that Melissa said iodized salt was fine but all of the iodized salt I have found has dextrose. I thought that was a no-no. And also we bought a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar and I thought it was fine because I couldn't see an ingredient label but then after we ate it I found the ingredient label it was tiny and and in a weird color but it had potassium metabisulfite. Is that out too? I thought vinegar was vinegar. I'm trying super hard with checking labels and everything and not slipping up but I may have without knowing it with the salt.

I have found that even stuff that is "okay" is not always okay. You have to read every label. Many vinegars have added sulfites - naturally occurring sulfites (the label will read that way) are okay. I have not had the issue with salt, but I use kosher salt since before Whole30.

I think you're right that dextrose is out, but I'm not 100% sure, so hopefully a moderator will weigh in. Added sulfites like the one in your vinegar are definitely out - I don't know if that's something that would officially merit a restart, but definitely get a different brand to use for the rest of your Whole30. My supermarket has some with and some without the added sulfites. If the label reads something like "Ingredients: Balsamic vinegar; contains sulfites," that's okay, because it's a warning about the sulfites that naturally occur in vinegar. But "Ingredients: balsamic vinegar, potassium metabisulfite" is not okay - that indicates they've added more sulfites as a preservative.

One of the most eye-opening parts of Whole30 is what is actually in even our "clean" food! I texted a friend who'd done multiple W30s when I was shopping for my first and said "I cannot find a single brand of beef stock that is compliant." She just said: "Welcome. :)"

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I use sea salt mostly anyway but I like a little table salt every now and again. As for the vinegar we only used a tad but we won't be using it again. That label was inconspicuous, we will be buying another one.

• Moderators

Here is my take on the dextrose in salt: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/05/morton-iodized-salt-whats-in-it/

During a Whole30, no one is going to ding you for using iodized salt even if it has dextrose in it. 

Your vinegar, however, is a problem. The potassium metabisulfite is the sulphites warned about in the Whole30 rules. Sulphites can cause meaningful gut irritation, so ingesting some pushes the reset button.

Archived