March 3

DanielleBuen

Day 12 not yet feeling that energy but hey all with time I am also not having much of an appetite I think I need to switch up my foods so If you all have any quick or easy ideas I would like that :)

On switching up foods, take a look at Robb Wolf's Paleo Matrix to get some ideas on new foods to include in your rotation. 

Here's a recent thread in response to someone asking for ideas on quick and easy meals.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12 not yet feeling that energy but hey all with time I am also not having much of an appetite I think I need to switch up my foods so If you all have any quick or easy ideas I would like that :)

Hi Danielle,

I am using different spices to make food more interesting.  I particularly love the Ras El Hanout from Well Fed.  The recipe makes a lot.  I use in my crockpot dishes and when I roast vegetables.  It just gives a different, amazing taste to the vegetables and meats you are used to.  It is like having a different dish. 

For easier meals this is what I've been doing.  I take one day to roast all my vegetables. I will roast pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and spaghetti squash. Then I use them through out  the week to make different dishes (pad thai, butternut squash soup, sweet potatoes hash).  I make a crockpot meat that will feed the family 4 times.  I also cook ground chicken and ground turkey (4lbs) with lots of onions, peppers and garlic.  Lastly I cook about 3lbs of chicken breast. 

The other vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, kale, chard, green beans, asparagus, etc..cooks really fast and sometimes my girls prefer some of them raw...so I cook those on the day I will be serving the food)  For instance, I will chop the kale, add coconut oil in the pan and saute the kale just a little then I will throw some ground turkey (already made).  I will serve that over cauliflower (steamed, sauteed or rice style) or roasted carrots.  I use the butternut squash to make soup as a base or by itself.  I use the pumpkin to make the No fuss fish cake (ISWF) instead of using sweet potatoes or you can use to make curry with the chicken breast that you already cooked.  This saves me a ton of time in the kitchen during the week. 

That might seem like a lot of food if it is just you but I have 4 to feed, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hope this you give you some ideas :)

That's awesome Jenski! I wish I could sleep 10 hours...but then again...I keep going to bed late.  Today for the first time I did not feel hungry between meals. 

I craved sugar though...I was hoping the cravings would stop this week...maybe my body knows that I had to start over yesterday :lol:

Flygirl, I haven't always been able to sleep for 10 hours...I kind of had no choice that day. :) How have your sugar cravings been the past couple of days?

And as for your post above...I love how prepared you are! I will take some time tomorrow to really get ready for the week ahead.

Danielle, I know how you feel about having no appetite at all. I am in the same boat the past few days...literally cannot make myself eat sometimes. Hopefully this too will pass. Let us know if you find something that really works for you--so that I can try it too. :)

On the bright side though I have more energy than I used to, I'm sleeping better, and generally happier than I was pre-whole 30.

Anyone else out there feeling the same?

Wow. Lots of progress for everyone! Happy to hear! I am on day 13... I felt great last week but now I'm at the point of feeling bloated. I feel like I don't put enough fat in my meals, but I'm not really sure how. Last night I used extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to cook chicken, shrimp and broccoli with baked sweet potato discs with cinnamon, cumin, and olive oil.

Sleeping patterns have been the same, but I love my sleep. I just don't get a lot of it unless on weekends! As for sugar cravings, yes I have been craving more chocolate! I make coffee but I have it black and I really only have half of a cup each day.

Hi Jenski,

About the sugar cravings....it is still there but when that happens I am eating protein.  I realized I am actually hungry when I crave sugar...I think my body is confused.  After I eat, the craving goes away. 

Also I don't feel like eating in the morning anymore. I know I have to eat so in order for me to feel hungry I have to take a little (extremely small) bite of the food, wait about 10 minutes and then I am hungry....very weird...

ok...so I am feeling really weird....one minute I am extremely happy, lots of energy...the next I am down and tired....what's up with that???? Anyway I have lots of energy right now...going to wash all my bathrooms :P before this energy goes away!!!

Flygirl, I like ur idea of taking a few bites and waiting a little bit, then feeling hungry and eating if need be. I've been having trouble with eating enough so I may try ur technique.

I'm not sure why ur energy is going from high to low, but I'm sure at some point it will level off...what day r u on? My energy does the same thing--when I'm up, I'm up, and when I run out of energy I'm done, need to sleep. So I don't think what u r feeling is abnormal, just a roller coaster ride we have to endure for a little while.

"Flygirl, I like ur idea of taking a few bites and waiting a little bit, then feeling hungry and eating if need be. I've been having trouble with eating enough so I may try ur technique.
I'm not sure why ur energy is going from high to low, but I'm sure at some point it will level off...what day r u on? My energy does the same thing--when I'm up, I'm up, and when I run out of energy I'm done, need to sleep. So I don't think what u r feeling is abnormal, just a roller coaster ride we have to endure for a little while."

It is day 8 for me.  I am feeling better in regards to my belly. My doc and I had a suspicion about me being gluten intolerant.  My problems have gone away the second week.  I haven't had gluten/grains for 19 days.  I hope this whole30 can regulate hormones too...they love to hijack my brain and body. :P

How's everyone doing out there?

I'm away from home for another week and a day, so I have sort of hit pause on my Whole 30--following it except for I am allowing wine. Otherwise keeping all the other rules in place. Still feeling great--I would say that for me the only thing that wine does is reduces my energy. When I wake up after a few glasses I am not as peppy as when I don't have it. Doesn't upset my stomach or cause any other side-effects. I do have to say that being in a warm climate does do wonders for my spirit though!

How's everyone doing out there?

I'm away from home for another week and a day, so I have sort of hit pause on my Whole 30--following it except for I am allowing wine. Otherwise keeping all the other rules in place. Still feeling great--I would say that for me the only thing that wine does is reduces my energy. When I wake up after a few glasses I am not as peppy as when I don't have it. Doesn't upset my stomach or cause any other side-effects. I do have to say that being in a warm climate does do wonders for my spirit though!

Hi Jenski,

I will have to start mine over again.  I set the date to April 1st.  I am still eating paleo for my meals but my mom came back from Brazil bringing with her my childhood....so yes, I indulged in doce de leite.  Also, we have a few ski trips to go to and there is no healthy food in those places (I brought my food in some of them but the other times I couldn't because it wasn't a day trip).  I ate mostly salad but who knows how they grilled the chicken and where it came from.  I am actually happy. I've learned a lot during this trial.

Breakfast doesn't have to be a muffin,bread, cereal etc...

I can have tea instead of coffee and still function during the day

When I crave sweets 90% of the time I am actually hungry (the other 10% I can drink green tea)

I know I have the power to say no. ( I went to a tea party two days ago and I was able to look at the sweets and not eat them vs before I couldn't resist).

As a family we decided that we will always eat whole30 meals forever.  We feel much better (FYI, I was on antibiotics for h-pylori and after two weeks of 8 pills a day the symptoms came back after a week.  I went on the whole30 and the symptoms disappeared even though I had some items that were not allowed)

I know that I am allergic to gluten (I've always suspected but now I am sure)

My face looks radiant (I think that's probably the sugar). People started to notice

I don't wake up in the middle of the night (even when my daughter comes over...which is every night)

so..these are some things among many others that the whole30 did for me.  Now...imagine if I did it correctly....so I am going to try again.  I will finish this week with no slips and go right into April

Hi Flygirl,

I love the list of all the things you learned despite not having a "perfect" Whole 30. Sounds like lots of things got better for you health-wise.

I, too, am going to restart mine. As one of the moderators pointed out in my Whole 30 log, you can't pause a Whole 30. You do it or you don't. So I guess pause is not the right word, even though, like you, I am going to continue with almost all of the Whole 30 rules. I just want to have my wine while I am away from home for Spring Break!

Good luck staying as compliant as you can this week, and I'm sure you will be ready for your restart on the first! :)

Archived