Fever Blisters??? Anyone???

cb36

Hi,

I have always been prone to terrible fever blisters. Usually I get one every couple of months and when I do I take Herpes Meds to get rid of them quickly. However, since starting Whole 30 (on day 25 today) I have averaged 1 per week! I had 2 my first week!!!!  I was reading this could do with either hormone changes or the lack of arginine, (a vitamin that is found in a lot of dairy products). I have increased my lysine intake which is supposed to suppress them.  Anyone else ever experience or are experiencing this? It's SOOOO annoying! I feel AMAZING in every other way expect these awful blisters popping up!!!!

Thanks!!!!

• Moderators

I don't have any wisdom about fever blisters. Sorry!

Arginine is found in tons of Whole30-compliant foods: http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000089000000000000000.html Seafood, meat, spinach, eggs, etc. I quit scrolling through the list before I found dairy, so you can quit worrying on that point.

Stress can be a big factor, and a diet change like this can be stressful to the body.  I'd suggest upping your arginine containing foods, doing your best to relax, and keeping those meds on hand. You could also start keeping a food journal to see if there are any triggers for you (corn triggers them for me).

If it helps, I found that W30 eating keeps my cold sores away.  I used to get one every 3 wks or so (with AF).  After starting W30 eating, I stopped getting them except when I have several days of pretty bad off-roading (Christmas, for example).  I would bet that this initial outbreak will stop and it'll be better the longer you eat well.  Also, take l-lysine.  That helps.

Archived