Modify Reintro?

CpBatchelor

Today is/was the day in which is "Gluten Grain Day" for me... I was excited about today as I did not THINK that grain was the cause of my headaches... THINK is the keyword... Turns out well yeah we do not get along as well as I thought we did.

Meal 1 @ 6am- 1/3 pound beef burger with kale, zucchini, and sweet potato. 3/4 serving of steel cut oats (Coach's Oat brand from Costco) with 2 strawberries, 2 blackberries, and a few blueberries. Also had banana with almond butter and coffee with coconut milk. 

Noticed around 8am the following:

-headache above eyebrows

-dry itchy eyes

-raspy voice

-drainage in the back of the throat/mucus

-Feels like throat is swollen

-achy neck

-left ear ache

Feels like I have a cold/flu… GRRR

11am- Feeling of "warmth" coming from my chin like down the side of my mouth… As if I have a rash or its irritated. Feels as if I have little bumps or something but could be the acne that never cleared up as I have been refraining from touching my face. 

Meal 2 @ 11:45am- Whole foods hot bar adventure… I had compliant salad with shredded chicken lots and lots of veggies and evoo as dressing. Found a sourdough roll that had no sugar in it (as that is a different reintro day) and had that has gluten grain attempt #2 today… 

Its almost 3pm. My headache is gone by I still ache and feel stuffy.. Not like muscle sore ache but like joint ache.. Flu ache... I expected muscle soreness this morning after the weekend of 4 hot yoga classes as part of my yoga teacher training.. I was a bit muscle sore this morning but did not ache until after eating the grains.

So the question is, do I need to have more of this devil "AKA Gluten Grains" at Meal 3. I had purchased some Bob's Red Mill Muesli to have with some coconut milk with Meal 3. I have no desire for it now. So since I am not responding well at all do I have to subject myself to it? Or would it be wise to see if different grains affect me differently and go for it. As the sourdough did not cause a headache like the steel cut oats did? 

I find it all funny… Well not really since I feel like a pile of poo (to be PC) but Prior to whole30 I ate "clean"… My morning meal was Fage plain Greek yogurt with almond milk, coach's oats (steel cut oats) with fresh fruit and sometimes honey added in that I prepped the night before so the oats were soft… I had not experienced any headaches after my Meal 1 each day… However, for the past 34 days I had not had to use my gel eye drops at all, as my eyes were not dry and did not feel aggravated as they had in the past even with staring at the PC for 8-10 hrs a day. I had NEVER thought or researched that my chronic dry eyes that I had been complain about to the eye Dr. and PCP could have been caused by gluten. Fish oil had been the recommendation to help combat this along with gel eye drops. Interesting….Frustrating.. Enlightening... Aggravating... 

Today is/was the day in which is "Gluten Grain Day" for me... I was excited about today as I did not THINK that grain was the cause of my headaches... THINK is the keyword... Turns out well yeah we do not get along as well as I thought we did.

Meal 1 @ 6am- 1/3 pound beef burger with kale, zucchini, and sweet potato. 3/4 serving of steel cut oats (Coach's Oat brand from Costco) with 2 strawberries, 2 blackberries, and a few blueberries. Also had banana with almond butter and coffee with coconut milk. 

Noticed around 8am the following:

-headache above eyebrows

-dry itchy eyes

-raspy voice

-drainage in the back of the throat/mucus

-Feels like throat is swollen

-achy neck

-left ear ache

Feels like I have a cold/flu… GRRR

11am- Feeling of "warmth" coming from my chin like down the side of my mouth… As if I have a rash or its irritated. Feels as if I have little bumps or something but could be the acne that never cleared up as I have been refraining from touching my face. 

Meal 2 @ 11:45am- Whole foods hot bar adventure… I had compliant salad with shredded chicken lots and lots of veggies and evoo as dressing. Found a sourdough roll that had no sugar in it (as that is a different reintro day) and had that has gluten grain attempt #2 today… 

Its almost 3pm. My headache is gone by I still ache and feel stuffy.. Not like muscle sore ache but like joint ache.. Flu ache... I expected muscle soreness this morning after the weekend of 4 hot yoga classes as part of my yoga teacher training.. I was a bit muscle sore this morning but did not ache until after eating the grains.

So the question is, do I need to have more of this devil "AKA Gluten Grains" at Meal 3. I had purchased some Bob's Red Mill Muesli to have with some coconut milk with Meal 3. I have no desire for it now. So since I am not responding well at all do I have to subject myself to it? Or would it be wise to see if different grains affect me differently and go for it. As the sourdough did not cause a headache like the steel cut oats did? 

I find it all funny… Well not really since I feel like a pile of poo (to be PC) but Prior to whole30 I ate "clean"… My morning meal was Fage plain Greek yogurt with almond milk, coach's oats (steel cut oats) with fresh fruit and sometimes honey added in that I prepped the night before so the oats were soft… I had not experienced any headaches after my Meal 1 each day… However, for the past 34 days I had not had to use my gel eye drops at all, as my eyes were not dry and did not feel aggravated as they had in the past even with staring at the PC for 8-10 hrs a day. I had NEVER thought or researched that my chronic dry eyes that I had been complain about to the eye Dr. and PCP could have been caused by gluten. Fish oil had been the recommendation to help combat this along with gel eye drops. Interesting….Frustrating.. Enlightening... Aggravating... 

What in your breakfast contained gluten?  Are you sure you don't actually have a cold or flu?

I checked the website of the product the OP used, and they're not considered gluten-free, as they are milled on equipment that is not gluten-free. http://www.coachsoats.com/co_faq.html

I would caution against the OP chalking her symptoms up to gluten for that fact alone. The amount of gluten would be nearly negligible and I am incredibly doubtful that she'd have had such a severe response so quickly. I think it has become way too common for people to attribute various ailments to gluten unjustifiably and in my opinion eating a gluten-free food (that "may contain" gluten due to manufacturing) would certainly qualify as unjustifiably demonizing gluten. If someone doesn't want to eat gluten for whatever reason then I say fine....but using this as the reason seems to be a bit of a stretch. 

I would caution against the OP chalking her symptoms up to gluten for that fact alone. The amount of gluten would be nearly negligible and I am incredibly doubtful that she'd have had such a severe response so quickly. I think it has become way too common for people to attribute various ailments to gluten unjustifiably and in my opinion eating a gluten-free food (that "may contain" gluten due to manufacturing) would certainly qualify as unjustifiably demonizing gluten. If someone doesn't want to eat gluten for whatever reason then I say fine....but using this as the reason seems to be a bit of a stretch. 

That might be the case here, and alternatively there are people out there who are extremely sensitive to gluten in any amount (react to any cross-contamination).

The only way to know for sure would be to retest - have another gluten reintro day with only foods that contain gluten on the ingredients list.

CpBatchelor: give yourself 2 days of 100% Whole30 eating, and decide where to go from here.

I couldn't agree more.  I think if you had THIS severe of a reaction to gluten, it's quite unlikely that you would not have noticed it before the Whole30. 

Thanks everyone... After 30+ days of looking at packaging to ensure that it is whole30 compliant without grain, soy, dairy, etc not seeing it labelled that the product was gluten free I did not think twice....

Damn... I guess I messed this one up by not doing enough research for gluten grain day... I let my excitement get the best of me... 

I am definitely intrigued by my response though as the steel cut oats were the only item in which I had not eaten some of in the last 30 days. As the rest of Meal 1 were complaint items in the house... I woke up on my own before my alarm went off ready to take on the day.. Did some laundry, emptied the dishwasher, relaxed with my coffee and the news, even cooked breakfast...  Then it all started to change around 8am... But still no headache post sourdough at lunch... So I am not sure what is up.. But def will do 2 days Whole30 and then decide what is next... I may just go on with the next item: Dairy... Thinking then come back to gluten and then oats separately..  Since I mucked this attempt up.. 

... and don't forget to test non-gluten grains too. Things like quinoa, corn and rice.

I have a day for those and sugar as well. :) I had suspected sugar the culprit for my headaches so I added that as its own day. Soy is out of interest in how it makes me feel. Figured I made sure to do Whole30 that I owe it to myself to experiment with all the possible problem ingredients. 

2/27- Dairy

3/2- Legumes

3/5- Sugar

3/8- Soy

3/11-Non Gluten Grains

3/14- Gluten Grains

3/17- Oats attempt #2 

Waiting an extra day on the oats since the 16th is a full day which would not be good for a reaction like today... 

I have a day for those and sugar as well. :) I had suspected sugar the culprit for my headaches so I added that as its own day. Soy is out of interest in how it makes me feel. Figured I made sure to do Whole30 that I owe it to myself to experiment with all the possible problem ingredients. 

2/27- Dairy

3/2- Legumes

3/5- Sugar

3/8- Soy

3/11-Non Gluten Grains

3/14- Gluten Grains

3/17- Oats attempt #2 

Waiting an extra day on the oats since the 16th is a full day which would not be good for a reaction like today... 

You may want to rethink having a sugar reintro day. Melissa explains here why she would recommend against it. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11298-day-31-re-intro-email-sugar-not-listed/#entry115489

You may want to rethink having a sugar reintro day. Melissa explains here why she would recommend against it. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11298-day-31-re-intro-email-sugar-not-listed/#entry115489

Thanks Chris. Melissa makes a very interesting point. The sugar dragon is something in which I battled prior and during my whole30 but the headache that something sweet in foods caused was my reason for doing a whole30. 

Outside of battling the sugar/sweet dragon I also had noticeable headaches after consuming items such as:

Tiramisu from whole foods. It contained sugar. Shared the serving from the pastry case but a dull headache came on within 20 min of eating it. Swiss miss hot coco. It contains sucralose ewww. But it was cold and I was offered it, later found out the brand after the headache came on.

Mt. Olive Dill Pickles. Contains sugar and they use a corn based gluten free vinegar. 

However, pre Whole30 I could add splenda to unsweet tea and not get a headache but it's in the swiss miss, or eat a Thin Mint girl scout cookie without a headache but it also contains sugar. 

So for the sugar day I was planning on testing items such as a tablespoon of honey on some berries with Meal 1, a few Bubbies Bread & Butter Pickles (sugar) with Meal 2, and something small with Meal 3.

As in all of my shopping for reintro items (dairy, grain) I have ensured that I have excluded sugar in any form. So my sugar day is to help me determine if it is the sugar (or some form of it) alone or in combo with other ingredients that trigger the headaches. As I know that I can choose to avoid sugar when cooking at home and by monitoring the ingredients in which are in the items I bring home. However, being able to possibly pinpoint the sugary item and whatever combo that triggers the headaches would be nice to know when venturing out into the world to eat out with family and friends. As I know (and have read the article) that doing a Whole30 forever is not something that is recommended. But, I want to be able to enjoy a meal out by being able to make sound decisions regarding what ingredient or combo of ingredients will trigger a bad reaction. 

Archived