fat for olive and coconut haters

juniper68

ghee is great, and animal fats from good quality sources: so yes to lard made responsibliy from pastured pigs, no to those highly processed, chemical added boxes of lard in the regular grocery store.

also, consider working with your husband to try foods he thinks he hates. When you change your diet your palate often changes also. there is hope.

• Moderators

Added fats are important when your protein is lean like fish or chicken. Many cuts of pork and red meat have plenty of good fat without adding more - Boston Butt pork roasts, sausage, chuck roast, ribeye steak, liver, etc. I rarely add a fat when I am eating whole eggs because egg yolks are a good source of fat. 

One good source of fat is homemade mayo. My guess is that your husband who hates olives would accept mayo made with light olive oil. I make mine a little spicy using yellow Jamaican curry powder instead of mustard powder as an ingredient. Mayo is good on chicken and fish. My classic approach to roasting fresh salmon is to slather the top in mayo before roasting to keep it moist. Yes, heating the olive oil mayo is a bit unfortunate, but it tastes great.

• Moderators

Thanks - great ideas.  My first batch of homemade mayo was pretty much a disaster (added oil too quickly, did not emulsify) but if at first you don't succeed, try again, right?  

If at first you don't succeed, try adding a little more apple cider vinegar. That has saved a few thin mixtures for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - great ideas.  My first batch of homemade mayo was pretty much a disaster (added oil too quickly, did not emulsify) but if at first you don't succeed, try again, right?  

It took me 3 times to finally get it right! lol I tried the blender, food processor, and finally using the whisks on my standing mixer worked. It also helps if the ingredients are at room temp. You can put your "faileo mayo" (as my sister dubbed it) in the fridge and it will get solid. It's not creamy, but you can add it to deviled eggs or tuna salad and it still tastes good. :0)

You can put your "faileo mayo" (as my sister dubbed it) in the fridge and it will get solid. It's not creamy, but you can add it to deviled eggs or tuna salad and it still tastes good. :0)

Oh. My. Dog. I *love* your term "faileo mayo". I am so using that!

Archived