Take Two: Lady M's second Whole 30

LadyM

• Moderators

Haha, you're absolutely right, MM, and I appreciate your concern. I'm calling it an optional weekly funday--certainly not obligatory. And my approach isn't that it will be a crazy hog-wild free for all once a week. I genuinely have no interest in that. What I'm interested in is having the freedom to have a drink (or three), a meal out, oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast, maybe a paleo muffin once in a while, and black-eyed peas with my collard greens on occasion.

Just a thought for you to consider...of course if your social life is so intense and fabulous that "worth it" would happen several times each and every week, then I could see choosing to limit it to only one as a personal rule  :)

This is a big part of it. I am dating right now and meeting new people all the time. It's fun, it's social, and talking about my nutrition plan and/or avoiding going out just isn't in the game plan. Neither is eating out and drinking four nights of each week, which could be possible. So, you see, this optional weekly funday is actually a way for me to rein it in. ;)

Also, summer is approaching, and I have a longstanding tea dance date with my best friend in which we sip cocktails by the pool, ogle pretty men, and dance our asses off every Sunday afternoon between Memorial Day and Labor Day. My optional weekly funday is in large part preparation for the season I live for. B) And it's a reasonable way forward for me--psychologically and practically.

OK, defense over. I rest my case. :D

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 33

M1 cuban meatballs with lizard sauce, coconut almond green beans, bp tea, 9:30

M2 chicken lettuce tacos with guac and shredded carrot, 2

M3 chicken nan king with kimchee, 4:30 (weird timing bc of teaching and rehearsal. Better too early than too late.)

Luxurious long sleep last night. This is so crucial. Never underestimate the necessity of optimal sleep, especially when going at full tilt during waking hours (and when aren't we doing that?).

Rehearsal went better last night, largely because of yoga, my return to meditation and pranayama, and my ability to control my breath and stress response. This, too, is a crucial thing to remember!

Still happy to sail along with W30 template style eating. I'm even thinking about asking my dad to toast with beet kvass rather than Jaegermeister Friday night. I'm frankly a little worried about introducing the bad guys when I've got a show the next day. Again, still in the mind set of wanting optimal performance for myself. This is a good paradigm to get stuck in.

• Moderators

Day 33 update

Had a beautiful 5-mile run before lunch. The sun is shining, it's warm, I was listening to my childhood favorite '80s songs (think heavy on Fame and Flashdance soundtracks) and when I passed a swing set I felt really drawn to it. So I finished up the first half of my run and when I looped back, I stopped the clock. The theme song from Greatest American Hero was in the mix and I had a spin on the swing while listening to it, swinging so high I thought I might touch the sky.

Sheer joy.

For the most part it takes nothing but willingness and time.

Loving life today, y'all.

Lol. Loved that show too. Have you seen it lately? His hair is hilarious. Your run sounds great. Still haven't read all the way through but you sound like you did on your best days more often (versus last year). Thank you for the recipe. I think I'll try it. And you've totally inspired me to get WF2.

• Moderators

I think WF2 is better than WF and worth the cost just for the sauces and bangers, burgers, and balls section. Lady really knows how to put together a recipe.

• Moderators

Day 34

M1 romaine and endive salad, eggs scrambled in better butter, kraut, cm tea, 8

M2 salmon cakes, belly dance beets, 11

M3 chicken guac tacos, 1/2 japanese yam (this tasted better than anything I can imagine. luscious. plain.), 5

Three mile run first thing this morning was good. I surprised myself with my quick pace.

Very busy day. Very exhausted.

Opening night tomorrow!

• Moderators

Day 35 (though, really, it's just life at this point)

M1 sauteed kale with eggs, cm tea, 9:30

M2 salmon cakes, bellydance beets, romaine salad, cm coffee, 1:30

M3 cuban meatballs with lizard sauce, cocoalmond green beans, 5:30

Big day of cleaning and errands in preparation for my dad's visit. My aim is to enjoy it as downtime away from the office!

• Moderators

@homerfrizzell it's a slamming doors farce in which I play one of three fiancees/international flight attendants that a 1960s playboy, with the help of an old buddy, attempts to keep in the dark about his polygamy even though all three fiancees descend on his Parisian flat at the same time. I play Gretchen, the Lufthansa air hostess. It's very silly!

bangers, burgers, and balls

That's the exact type of stuff I like to have around for emergencies. Plus my kids will maybe eat them. And also obv the ground gf meat is way cheaper than the rest.

Hope the show went well. (Or is it tonight?) Sounds like fun.

And I love your, "it's really just life at this point". Another Lady M phrase of wisdom that I will remember. All year I thought of your "green tea isn't water." Not that that's your most pithy expression. But I also have tried to emulate your three glasses of water on waking habit. 

LadyM, what a lovely adventure your journal has just taken me on. Congratulations on all of your insightfulness. It was a pleasure to read. I think that you have just inspired me to come back for another round. Last year I started on May 1st. I can't believe it's been a year. I've been Primal Blueprint since then.

I'll have to give serious thought to my start. I'm a t a conference this coming week so know that I won't jump in because hotel food never fits W30 and that would be a certain calamity from the start.

I hope your show went off brillantly!

• Moderators

Lee! Thank you! Wonderful to hear from you again! Yes, this time around has been a whole different rodeo, full of ease and pleasure. Welcome back! I'm really liking the idea of an annual Whole 30.

I love that, Beets. I'm still drinking a bunch of water first thing in the morning! And the green tea wisdom actually came from my naturopath--she said green tea is a fine beverage but would you wash your walls with green tea as a way to illustrate the difference between it and water. Very wise.

And I made the Moorish meatballs over the weekend from WF2--so delicious. I never was a fan of ground meat before W30, but once you figure out what to do with it (I'm not a fan of it in a stir-fry with veggies), it's so handy and cheap. And I bet your kids--especially that meat-loving little girl of yours!--will love the tasty little meat treats!

• Moderators

Days 36 and 37 were utterly compliant. My dad drove up from Little Rock for opening night (such a good and generous papa!), the show went great and got a very positive review and a standing ovation, we had a wonderful time, and perhaps most exciting, I got to share W30 with my dad.

He and his wife have been paleo for a little while, so it wasn't a huge leap.  He has been morbidly obese for most of my life and has been doing OA for the last year and a half or so with wonderful results, but he's been feeling at an impasse of sorts lately. My stepmom has MS. I gave him a copy of ISWF, I prepared all our meals at home and explained the program, we went shopping at the farmers market and the co-op together, and by the end of the weekend he had drunk the Kool-Aid. Said after two days of eating this way he already felt better!

Before he left he had ordered WF2, coconut aminos and vinegar, Red Boat, and Mae Ploy curry paste on amazon. I showed him NomNom's ipad app and recipe index online, and some of my other favorite W30 online resources. I also gave him my best pro tips, the best of which is to have low expectations so as to not miss seeing the actual benefits; and I sent him home with enough food for compliant meals all the way home. I think he's in the right head space about it and I have no doubt he'll be successfully compliant for 30 days and make it his own. I'm thrilled!

• Moderators

Day 38

M1 meat quiche with avo, green tea, 6

M2 shrimp/veg coconut curry, noon

M3 zoodles with pesto and italian roast pork, crudite w mayo dip, celery w ab, cm decaf coffee w cacao, 5:30

So, I'm still chugging along. See no reason to stop. I'm still feeling good and supported by W30. I have a crew of friends from all over the country coming this weekend for the show, so it's very likely that I'll at least have a cocktail or two with them, but who knows? I'm just taking it day by day.

10 mile run yesterday afternoon was a challenge, mostly because my feet were sore from tromping around on stage all week in various vintage high heels. But I made it through, largely thanks to my good natured running buddy. I sure do have wonderful people in my life and am so grateful.

Speaking of which, this is an effect of W30 that I don't think I've seen written about (though it might be in one of the daily emails): gratitude. The ways W30 helps me get my life in order effortlessly contributes to making space for more gratitude. When I'm not grumpy and obsessed and under the fog, it's so easy to see things in a positive light and be grateful. That's effing powerful, man.

He and his wife have been paleo for a little while, so it wasn't a huge leap.  He has been morbidly obese for most of my life and has been doing OA for the last year and a half or so with wonderful results, but he's been feeling at an impasse of sorts lately. My stepmom has MS. I gave him a copy of ISWF, I prepared all our meals at home and explained the program, we went shopping at the farmers market and the co-op together, and by the end of the weekend he had drunk the Kool-Aid. Said after two days of eating this way he already felt better!

Before he left he had ordered WF2, coconut aminos and vinegar, Red Boat, and Mae Ploy curry paste on amazon. I showed him NomNom's ipad app and recipe index online, and some of my other favorite W30 online resources. I also gave him my best pro tips, the best of which is to have low expectations so as to not miss seeing the actual benefits. I think he's in the right head space about it and I have no doubt he'll be successfully compliant for 30 days and make it his own. I'm thrilled!

This is so great! How incredibly exciting to see someone you love jumping on board with this! Kudos to you for showing them how great a weekend of W30 can be!

P.S. Happy to hear your show went so well  :)

Archived