My Whole 30 Log

blunt_eastwood

Hello,

Today I started my Whole 30 and so far it seems to be going okay.  I went to the store yesterday and bought a bunch of ground meat (2 lbs beef, 1 lb bison), onions, mixed peppers, a dozen eggs, spinach, and some mushrooms.

For breakfast I threw two eggs and all of the mentioned veggies onto a skillet and ate the result.  I came to work and tried to skip coffee but I ended up drinking a cup with without any sugar or milk.

For lunch I cooked the beef together with the vegetables into a mix and I'm going to eat that.

I'm pretty hungry after breakfast so i'm guessing i'll have to add more eggs or something else to the meal.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

You forgot fat.  Get some coconut oil to cook in, and fry your eggs in it.  Fat is needed at each of the 3 meals.  I believe you can have nut and nut butter at other meals, if you can control yourself.  Or if you cook with enough fat, or the meat is pretty fatty, you can skip extra fat.  (these are my interpretations of the rules)

I am on Day 18 and am erring on the side of too much fat.  It seems to be keeping me happy.  I haven't been tempted to cheat at all.

Also, if you are a guy, 2 eggs is not enough.  Eat at least 3, and maybe 4.

My advice would be to add another egg or two and an added fat if that still is not satiating enough. A serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand. For me (and I'm small) that is 3-4. The fat recommendations on the template are minimums not maximums. For eggs and very fatty cuts of meat you are probably fine without the extra...but if you still can't make it 4-5 hours until the next meal you can try more. 

Thank you both for the advice.  I will add some more eggs tomorrow.

By the way I forgot to mention that I did use cooking oil when I made all of my meals.  I have some coconut oil though so I will cook my food in that going forward.

This afternoon I was really hungry so I went and bought a pack of mixed nuts and dried fruit and that.  Oh and I cheated and ate a bag of baked lays BBQ chips.

Thank you both for the advice.  I will add some more eggs tomorrow.

By the way I forgot to mention that I did use cooking oil when I made all of my meals.  I have some coconut oil though so I will cook my food in that going forward.

This afternoon I was really hungry so I went and bought a pack of mixed nuts and dried fruit and that.  Oh and I cheated and ate a bag of baked lays BBQ chips.

Oops ... oh well ... look at today as a warm-up and start fresh tomorrow, sans the chips.  ;) 

Also confirm that the mixed nuts and dried fruit is compliant: no sugar, sweetener, sulfur dioxide, or non-compliant oils. 

Oops ... oh well ... look at today as a warm-up and start fresh tomorrow, sans the chips.  ;) 

Also confirm that the mixed nuts and dried fruit is compliant: no sugar, sweetener, sulfur dioxide, or non-compliant oils. 

Damn it, I just assumed the mixed nuts and fruit were fine, but I so see sugar, and sulphur dioxide, and today I ate another pack of them because I was hungry again, despite eating 4 eggs this morning.

Any suggestions on the hunger problem?  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need more fat?

Keep playing with your portion sizes until you can make it between meals. There are ranges on the template for a reason. Remember to do 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, 1-2 servings of additional fat. The fat and vegetable suggestions are minimums, you can always have more. What you might try is planning a meal to the upper end of the template and if you can't finish it save leftovers for a mini meal. Or just have some hard boiled eggs or other quick easy protein around for when hunger strikes early. Some people keep cans of tuna in olive oil (check the labels for no soy or other nasties) in their office. Read every single label on everything you may possibly put in your mouth very carefully. Some companies are being sneaky now and doing 2 sets of ingredients which is just rude. Label reading is an art form and it takes discipline to train yourself to do with everything you pick up.

Keep playing with your portion sizes until you can make it between meals. There are ranges on the template for a reason. Remember to do 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, 1-2 servings of additional fat. The fat and vegetable suggestions are minimums, you can always have more. What you might try is planning a meal to the upper end of the template and if you can't finish it save leftovers for a mini meal. Or just have some hard boiled eggs or other quick easy protein around for when hunger strikes early. Some people keep cans of tuna in olive oil (check the labels for no soy or other nasties) in their office. Read every single label on everything you may possibly put in your mouth very carefully. Some companies are being sneaky now and doing 2 sets of ingredients which is just rude. Label reading is an art form and it takes discipline to train yourself to do with everything you pick up.

Thank you for the feedback.  I will try your suggestions.

Here's how things went these past few days:

Friday:

Breakfast: Omelette (4 eggs, mushrooms, peppers, onions, baby spinach, cooked in coconut oil)

Lunch: Bison mixed with the same vegetables as above and also cooked in coconut oil

Dinner: I didn't have time to make anything so I went to Chipotle and had a salad with only guacamole, barbacoa meat,  sauteed vegetables, and pico de gallo

Saturday:

Breakfast: Omelette (4 eggs, mushrooms, peppers, onions, baby spinach, cooked in coconut oil)

Lunch: I had to eat out so I had some sausage and onions, broccoli, watermelon, and coffee

Dinner: I again had to eat out so I ordered from The Thirsty Koala and had 6 oz grilled Aussie grass-fed strip loin with sauteed vegetables and some arugula salad.

Sunday:

Breakfast: I had no time to make anything so I just bought a big plate of watermelon and threw in two pieces of cantaloupe along with a cup of coffee.

Lunch: I ate at Digg In and had the big plate of lemon chicken, kale an apple salad, and broccoli with roasted garlic and almonds

Dinner: Some beef chunks with the same vegetables mentioned cooked in coconut oil.

Thank you for the feedback.  I will try your suggestions.

Here's how things went these past few days:

Friday:

Breakfast: Omelette (4 eggs, mushrooms, peppers, onions, baby spinach, cooked in coconut oil)

Lunch: Bison mixed with the same vegetables as above and also cooked in coconut oil

Dinner: I didn't have time to make anything so I went to Chipotle and had a salad with only guacamole, barbacoa meat,  sauteed vegetables, and pico de gallo

Saturday:

Breakfast: Omelette (4 eggs, mushrooms, peppers, onions, baby spinach, cooked in coconut oil)

Lunch: I had to eat out so I had some sausage and onions, broccoli, watermelon, and coffee

Dinner: I again had to eat out so I ordered from The Thirsty Koala and had 6 oz grilled Aussie grass-fed strip loin with sauteed vegetables and some arugula salad.

Sunday:

Breakfast: I had no time to make anything so I just bought a big plate of watermelon and threw in two pieces of cantaloupe along with a cup of coffee.

Lunch: I ate at Digg In and had the big plate of lemon chicken, kale an apple salad, and broccoli with roasted garlic and almonds

Dinner: Some beef chunks with the same vegetables mentioned cooked in coconut oil.

Moving in the right direction in most parts - how's the hunger going?

There's one "oops" in there - the Chipotle barbacoa is not compliant, as it's cooked in rice bran oil. https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx  Accidentally ingesting rice bran oil does not call for a restart: just no more Chipotle barbacoa for the rest of your Whole30.

Also, watch for sausage while eating out: it's hard to find compliant sausage at a restaurant without gluten, sweetener or other nasties.

I know I require starchy vegetables to keep me happy and not too hungry. Maybe try having half a baked sweet potato with your breakfast to keep you going longer. I'd also consider reading It Starts with Food if you haven't yet. I found it really helpful. 

Our go to breakfast in the past week or so has been to nuke a sweet potato, then slice it cross section wise so you have a bunch of circular pieces about a 1/4" thick.  

Throw some ghee or coconut oil in the pan, sautee' the sweet potatoes, scoot to the side, and then fry up 3-4 eggs.

Keeps me happy for about 6 hours.

Archived