Coconut Butter and Nausea

Hi, anyone else have any issues with coconut butter and nausea? I love the taste of coconut butter but I eat about a spoonful with any protein or a little fruit and I feel nauseous about 5-10 minutes later. Any suggestions?

I have only eaten it either after a full meal or with a protein as a snack/mini meal. In both instance the reaction is the same. However, today is day four of my first Whole30 and I'm noticing that the nausea seems to be reducing. I'm thinking that perhaps my body was just reacting to the high fat content and is now adjusting. Does that seem plausible?

The brand is Tropical Traditions which lists the ingredients as 100% coconut. 

What is FODMAP?

I did some research and I understand what FODMAP is now. I don't seem to have any intestinal issues except in relation to the coconut butter but, as I mentioned above, it does seem to be dissipating. 

• 2 months later...

I had the same experience last night.  I ate a bit (maybe 1 tbsp total?) on an empty stomach and about 10-15 minutes later became nauseous and actually vomited.  Didn't eat any dinner last.  I did take some faux alka seltzer after and I felt better.  This morning, I woke up fine but I don't think I'll be eating any coconut butter out of the jar any more.

I can't eat coconut butter.  I can only do coconut milk in small quantities (like as an ingredient in something else).  I can't eat coconut flakes or flour in large quantities either.  For me, it's something to do with the coconut meat itself.  I can't seem to digest the proteins in it.  

Coconut oil is totally fine though, so I know that for me, it's not the fat that is the issue.  Once you are a little further into your Whole30, you might want to experiment with the different types of coconut to determine your issue.  Until I figured this out, I felt like I was randomly having stomach issues because I wasn't seeing the correlations!

I actually had a packet of coconut butter with lunch today, and now have the worst cramps imaginable. I'm assuming it's the coconut butter as I haven't had any in a long time, and the rest of my lunch was the same as what I ate yesterday.

Archived