What if you want to stay Whole30 compliant?

namtrag

My wife and I are done with the 30 days, but we want to keep going with only compliant foods.  We don't see any need to add things back, except maybe dairy so we can have cream in our coffee.  

Is it recommended to keep eating with the template, or is it ok to eat when you are hungry as long as you eat only compliant foods, and keep fruits to one or two a day?

Just curious. For example, if I am a little hungry before bed, or in the midmorning, is it ok to have a spoon of almond butter, or a few nuts, or even a small amount of animal protein?  Or should I try my best to stick with 3 meals and a protein and fat snack if absolutely necessary?

I am just scared to blow all my progress by doing the wrong thing!

The beauty of post Whole30 eating is you can eat whatever and however you want. Experiment with what you propose and see how that works for you.  I personally have found it helpful to continue to use the template for structuring my meals.

• Moderators

Eating the Whole30 way is ideal, but you can vary a little and maintain great health. Eating according to the meal template is ideal, but you should not go to bed hungry. Personally, I needed more than a year of practice to get good at living on three meals per day, so don't worry if you vary a little. But any time you are hungry between meals, consider that as good information that you need to make adjustments for the future. 

I have found post-whole 30, the three meals are all I need anyway, and I stick to the meal template. :) super super super way of living.

I don't think you would "blow your progress" by changing your meal structure; seems like that would only happen if you started eating a lot of off-plan stuff again. That said, it really is maintainable long term. I've been eating W30 style for over a year now, so it's become second nature. There are no tweaks needed for me.

Thanks for the info, and it's all good!  I think I will tinker with it, and as we start exercising more now, I am sure my food requirements will change.  The template is a great way to eat, but occasionally I do get hungry between meals.  

I think in the long run, as long as we eat the right kinds of foods, our appetite will take care of itself.  It's really such a simple way to eat, other than the prep time.

JJB, I can eat on plan food, and gain a lot of weight!  I have an affinity for nuts and almond butter, and that is really easy to eat a lot of.  I think as long as I concentrate on my trigger foods (another of these is cheese, but I am not adding that back for a while, if at all), and keep them under control, the rest will take care of itself.   :)

JJB, I can eat on plan food, and gain a lot of weight!  I have an affinity for nuts and almond butter, and that is really easy to eat a lot of.  I think as long as I concentrate on my trigger foods (another of these is cheese, but I am not adding that back for a while, if at all), and keep them under control, the rest will take care of itself.   :)

Oh, for sure! I didn't realize you were referring to weight loss. Nuts and butters are dead to me for that reason. :huh:

Oh, for sure! I didn't realize you were referring to weight loss. Nuts and butters are dead to me for that reason. :huh:

Yeah, I am considering that as well.  It's just too easy to down a half a jar at one sitting. In my low carb diet days, it was the nemesis.

Archived