vitamin d3

elgn23

Why, why, why didn't I check my supplements? Rice flour! glycerin! soy! I'm so upset. I'm only on day 4 and definitely in full KATT mode. Is it bad that the thought of restarting at this point is nauseating? What's worse is telling my fiance that I messed up since he is doing this with me and he is mr. perfect.  :angry: . Does anyone have recommendations for vitamin D, fish oil, DHEA supplements that don't include this crap? Looking through all of these brands is time consuming.

Thanks!!

Okay- so I realized today many of my supplements include rice flour, soy, vegetable oil and glycerin. I can sit most of these to the side until I can afford to buy higher quality, but since I am vitamin-d deficient, I feel like I need this. I usually take 10,000 IU daily. On the whole9 website under "things we like" they list the Jarrow Formulas Vitamin D3-5000 IU.

"Jarrow Vitamin D3 5000 IU

Packed in extra-virgin olive oil. Dairy, soy, wheat, egg, and nut-free."

It does state that the gel capsule contains glycerin.

Is this compliant or not?

Thanks for clarifying  :)

• Moderators

I use Now Foods for vitamin D3. The Whole9 promotes the liquid fish oil from Stronger, Faster, Healthier. I like the tangerine flavor, but I have not taken fish oil in years. I eat salmon 3-5 times per week instead. No ideas about DHEA. 

You could also look into liquid D3 drops. I have some that contain nothing other than olive oil and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). 1 drop = 1,000 IU and it says there are 900 servings.

• 2 weeks later...

@Tom Denham - I thought no glycerin was ok? I saw this in a different forum in here.

Sorry, this thread is old: the whole30 position on glycerin has been clarified, and it is not allowed.

No worries, vitamin D is widely available in formulations without glycerin. If you have been taking one, just set it aside for the rest of your whole30 and try a different formula. The one I use is in olive oil.

• 3 weeks later...

wait...how come glycerin is bad?

gylcerin is a sweetener. sweeteners aren't allowed during the whole30. 

If you eat the whole30 way you shouldn't need many supplements, although a lot of us in the northern hemisphere take D3. eat a variety of vegetables and meat (including organ meats) and you will have the most bioavailable vitamins around. 

Archived