Digestive Issues (Day 15)

Ok.  So i have always had digestive issues (diarrhea) for as long as I can remember.  I am on day 15 of this program (woot woot ... halfway!) so I know that a lot of people say that they don't get full effects until closer to the end. BUT, this is bad.  I'll get REALLY bad gas pain (like crippling) and usually instant "digestive issues" after that. A couple days ago I realized I was eating mostly protein and very little carbs. So I've made sure to include carbs now. But, I still have the same issues as before.

For instance, this morning I had a casserole that consisted of eggs, egg whites, sweet potato, spinach, ground beef (bought from US Wellness), onions and mushrooms and I ate less than half an apple, I also drank some Yerba mate tea (nothing added).  I drank plenty of water and still as soon as I got to my desk at 8 I was up and in the bathroom! It'd be one thing if something totally different was happening while on the Whole30, but this is exactly how I felt when I was eating non-paleo.

Any help, advice or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I haven't exercised since beginning this program but this morning I started T25. This may or may not be the cause of the issue today. But, it certainly was not prior to today.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am on day 18 of my first Whole30. I'm mostly feeling terrific -- lots of energy and very clear-headed. However, I am still having problems with constipation. Prior to the Whole30 I NEVER had problems except while traveling. I have read previous posts for recommendations and I am definitely eating enough fat, and I take already take magnesium. The only thing I haven't tried is fermented foods. I see that sauerkraut is recommended. Is this something one eats by itself? Or along with something else? Also, are there any other recommended fermented foods? Strangely, I have also been experiencing breakthrough vaginal bleeding for the entire time I have been on the Whole30 even though I am on the pill. Any advice? Thank you.

• Moderators

The gut, depending on the state of its disrepair, can take significant time to heal. W30 is def the way to go to get the ball rolling in the right direction. I am no expert except in my own experience, but I say stick with it. I'm on day 47 of my second W30 and am continuing to see shifts and changes in a positive direction including with my gut and elimination habits.

OP, you might consider eliminating fruit. Fruit eaten with other foods especially can cause gas.

@clk, Fermented foods are wonderful! I drink beet kvass and regularly eat sauerkraut and other fermented veggies I make myself, generally with meals. It's simple and fun. Good online resources abound including Body Ecology and the book Nourishing Traditions.

• Moderators

Ok.  So i have always had digestive issues (diarrhea) for as long as I can remember.  I am on day 15 of this program (woot woot ... halfway!) so I know that a lot of people say that they don't get full effects until closer to the end. BUT, this is bad.  I'll get REALLY bad gas pain (like crippling) and usually instant "digestive issues" after that. A couple days ago I realized I was eating mostly protein and very little carbs. So I've made sure to include carbs now. But, I still have the same issues as before.

For instance, this morning I had a casserole that consisted of eggs, egg whites, sweet potato, spinach, ground beef (bought from US Wellness), onions and mushrooms and I ate less than half an apple, I also drank some Yerba mate tea (nothing added).  I drank plenty of water and still as soon as I got to my desk at 8 I was up and in the bathroom! It'd be one thing if something totally different was happening while on the Whole30, but this is exactly how I felt when I was eating non-paleo.

Any help, advice or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I haven't exercised since beginning this program but this morning I started T25. This may or may not be the cause of the issue today. But, it certainly was not prior to today.

Check out the low FODMAP shopping list and eliminate some of the things that might be causing you issues. Onions and mushrooms could be culprits.

Another suggestion, watch your fructose intake (fruit), that caused issues for my husband because he ate a lot of fruit.

The more your gut is damaged, the longer it will take to heal. Fermented foods can and will help BUT you need to start very slowly with small amounts.

Hopefully, this will help, I did have a friend who had these issues (pre-Whole30) and they DID reduce significantly but it took about 20 days or so.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have to agree with a few responses here. It sounds like you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (I have it too, I have had it for years). Do try the low FODMAP diet. It has changed my life!

Basically, you need to avoid food that trigger your symptoms. I think for most people the 'bad' foods include fizzy drinks, onions, coffee, sweet potato, etc.

There is no cure for IBS, but knowing what sets you off and avoiding those food helps a lot. I have had no symptoms for months now... although I do have the occasional symptoms every now and then when I 'cheat' on my low FODMAP diet.

I wish you all the best, because I know this is a very uncomfortable issue and I have suffered for years before learning about the low FODMAP diet and keeping a food diary.

Have you had any issues with your gallbladder? For some people their gallbladder releases excessive bile when they eat which causes diarrhea. Do you notice this right after you eat? You may want to check with your doctor since you have had this issue for a while.

Archived