Is this ok? (and sorry for the novel...)

I'm struggling a bit with figuring out how much I need to eat.  I am breastfeeding a 9 month baby boy who is still getting up once a night to feed.  I am currently on day 4 and am feeling ok.  Day 3 was a NIGHTMARE!  I nursed my son at 5AM and fell back asleep and woke up at 730 AM and I was so incredibly shaky and nauseated I was so worried the whole time I was making breakfast that I was going to pass out.  I shoved some hazelnuts and raisins in my mouth to hopefully quell the low sugar shakes.  After I ate breakfast I started to feel better about 30 minutes afterwards.  Then I started to feel lousy again while I was making my lunch.  

I was trying to only eat 3 super large meals with no snacks since that was is strongly encouraged in the book but I am used to eating 5-6 times a day. I don't want to sabotage my good efforts by snacking too much.  I do have a sweet tooth but I've managed it in the past by having some fruit and dark chocolate after dinner. I'm not doing Whole30 to lose weight, I'm 5'4 120 lbs, but rather I'm doing it to mainly increase my energy levels and adopt a paleo diet.  Really the only thing that I'm doing different with the Whole30 is not having added sugar like with paleo baked goods. Here is an example of what I've eaten:

Day 1:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with green chilies, chard, 1/4 avocado, tomato, sweet potato cooked in ghee

- half cup blueberries with coconut butter and cinnamon

Lunch: Salad with mixed veggies, 5oz can tuna, 1/4 avocado, walnut oil, tangerine

Snack: banana with macadamia nut butter

Dinner: chicken coconut curry with broccoli, cashews and sweet potato

Day 2:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, half sweet potato, broccoli, chard, 1/4 avocado

- 1/2 blueberries with coconut butter and cinnamon

Lunch: chicken breast with mixed green salad, handful olives, olive oil, 1/4 avocado

Dinner: Three 'No Fuss Salmon Cakes', broccoli, asparagus, carrots cooked in ghee and coconut oil

Day 3:

Breakfast: Handful raisins and hazelnuts while making bfast because I was SO shaky!

- 3 eggs scrambled, tomato, spinach, 1/2 avocado, banana

Snack: tablespoon coconut butter and some raisins

Lunch: Chicken breast with 1 salmon cake, olives, olive oil, green salad, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup blackberries

Snack: raisins, shredded coconut, hazelnuts

Dinner: 2 salmon cakes, 1/2 avocado, leftover sauteed veggies in ghee and coconut oil, tomato

Snack 60 mins before bed: 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 mashed banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds

I felt much better this morning after I read a bunch of forum postings about low sugar shakes and adjusted my meals on Day 3 accordingly.  I also ate a handful of cashews after an early morning nursing session.

Really my question is am I eating too much fat and fruit? Am I eating too many snacks? I'm eating a considerably larger amount of fat than I was previously and I don't want to gain weight. I'm following the correct hand measurements for meal preparation. I just don't want to get those low sugar shakes again! I felt pretty awful all day yesterday and I know that that's common on days 2-3. Thanks so much for reading my dissertation and for the advice!

You are not eating nearly enough - mostly at breakfast.  Especially for a woman that is breast feeding!

Try to include more fats - you are needing them

Add a extra meal if you need to.  Three meals are recommended but I believe rules do change if you are pregnant or breasfeeding

FYI - the number of eggs you eat should be the number you can hold in one hand.  For me I can hold 3 comfortably whereas I can make 4 fit but it's a bit iffy.

Archived