Dizzy spells

I'm on day 11 of my first whole 30 and breastfeeding my 22 month old daughter 4 times in 24 hours every day.

For the first 9 days I felt amazing aside from a bit of hunger and some cravings. I had so much energy, was sleeping great, digestion was perfect, ect. 

For the past couple days I've completely lost my appetite, turned off of food and struggling to eat. I'm also getting pretty bad dizzy spells. I want to stick it out because I loved how I was feeling the first week or so but I am scared this is messing up my body. My milk supply seems to be fine still but I've been breastfeeding continuously for almost 5 years now (nursed my older daughter until my youngest was 6 months old) and supply has never been an issue.

At breakfast a handful of pistachios or almonds and fresh fruit while I get the kids ready just to get something in my stomach during the morning rush. Once they are taken care of I usually have a large salad with greens, tomato, cucumber, avocado, lemon juice, avocado oil, spices and green olives and dinner leftovers. Sometimes I have a homemade sausage patty. Or some fruit. I also have guacamole and carrots or plantain chips. This food is sort of eaten spread over mid day when I get a chance.

Dinner is some sort of meat of fish (salmon, sole, grilled chicken, roast chicken, roast beef, beef sauce (on zuchinni noodles) and vegetable cooked in fat (carrots, brussel sprouts, asparagus, ect cooked in coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil or roasted in the chicken fat in the same pan). I also have another large salad like the one mentioned above and maybe some fruit. (fruit is strawberries, canteloupe, pineapple, banana, or whatever we have)

If I get hungry before bed I let myself have a handful of nuts.

I had no problem eating this the first week but am turned more and more off food as the plan goes on, especially the meat and nuts. The only thing I feel like eating now is fruit and vegetables. I make myself eat something, including some protein, but can't eat very much.

I am a healthy weight/BMI

Also I know there is some sort of perfect schedule we're supposed to be on, but there is no way it's happening with 2 kids four and under, one of whom is autistic. It takes everything I have to be able to cook and prepare food at all and I eat when I get the chance. There is no luxury of sitting down for an hour to eat a big meal, I have to break it up.

I get that you have a busy, unpredictable schedule but that does not change the fact that you are not eating enough. You need protein and fat at every meal (and that means the 4th or 5th meal or "snack" as well as breakfast lunch not just dinner). Take a look at the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

If you are having trouble eating, eat the protein and fat first. Filling up on salad and fruit will not serve you well. If meat turns you off right now, experiment with different types and flavors and preparations. I'm loving meatballs, baked in the oven. Its easy to change the flavors with different kinds of ground meat and different spices, and they are easy to eat whenever you need something and you can feed them to the kids, too.

I'm also allergic to eggs which make breakfast difficult and a lot of recipes impossible (my meatballs and meatloaf always falls apart, I have trouble coating meats to fry them, ect). Most paleo recipes are loaded with eggs!!! I always eat the meat first but I just get so nauseous so I try to mix it in with a bite of vegetable too. I also can't eat sweet potatoes because it's the last thing I ate before coming down with a horrible stomach bug in February and now I can't even look at them. 

I'll check out the template. 

Oh yes I see what you mean. I should probably be dividing my meat up and eating a small bit with each mini meal (a bit of chicken with my salad, a bit with my guacamole, a bit with my veggies, a bit with my fruit) instead of all with my cooked veggies and the salad and guacamole/carrots at other times. Makes sense.

Oh yes I see what you mean. I should probably be dividing my meat up and eating a small bit with each mini meal (a bit of chicken with my salad, a bit with my guacamole, a bit with my veggies, a bit with my fruit) instead of all with my cooked veggies and the salad and guacamole/carrots at other times. Makes sense.

If you can't eat eggs you might want to search the forum "breakfast without eggs" for some great ideas or search google for Paleo with Auto Immune Protocol. Even if you aren't doing the AIP those recipes will not have eggs in them. Good luck!

I feel MUCH better today. I had a huge Easter dinner with roast beef, grilled chicken, salad, carrots, strawberries, grapes and watermelon and all that food seems to have made me feel like my old self. Food always tastes so much better when someone else makes it for you, and my brother in law is an excellent chef.

I just want to give you a hug! I'm nursing a toddler and caring for a busy, intense kindergartener, and the schedule gets CRAZY! I use my slow cooker almost constantly. It makes me feel like someone else is doing the cooking.

As for meatballs, I've had success making meatballs without eggs (using flaxseed meal), and I think the meatball recipes in 'Well Fed 2' are egg-free.

I'm VERY allergic to flaxseed lol. Much worse than eggs.

Yikes! That's no fun!

I just pulled out my copy of 'Well Fed 2,' and yes, the "Burgers, Balls & Bangers" section is full of egg-free, flax-free meatball ideas. Check out theclothesmakethegirl.com too—some of the recipes might be there as well. I made the Turkey and Cranberry variation for my dad's birthday, and they held together beautifully, were a huge hit, and (come to think of it) would be great for breakfast!

Oooh turkey cranberry sounds good! The only paleo cookbook I own so far is nom nom paleo and I want to try a lot in there. I'm working on buying more meat and planning for 2 lunches a day instead of breakfast and a lunch (9 am and 1 pm sort of thing) and just eating fruit first thing. It worked pretty well for me today.

Archived