Wedding Mishap

Yesterday I was at a wedding out in the middle of nowhere and when I asked for a glass of water received a glass of tonic water (has high fructose corn syrup).  It only took me one drink to realize that.  I decided to switch to tea, but after a couple swallows of that realized it was Crystal Light or the Lipton instant mix or something that was sweeter than plain tea.  Eventually I was able to find soda water but does having had swallows of these drinks mean I need to start over (today is day 19)?  To those of you reading this, please offer water as an option at events!!!  I had figured out the food thing so that I could be compliant, but never thought I'd have to worry about finding water!

• Moderators

Hubz and I are totally sparking water/club soda converts. A lime and/or lemon wedge in it makes it delightful, and looks just like an alcoholic drink if you care about that. So refreshing! We usually order fancy mineral water at nice restaurants, delicious and full of good stuff.

Moderator I have a feeling the other moderator would disagree. Accidental sugar is still sugar in your system disturbing an effect you are trying to achieve.

Since I've been reading here I restarted on day 7 after tasting a cake made for Passover. Just less than a half teaspoon. I felt if I asked I'd be asked to go back to day 1.

I'm sort of just wondering. Day 1 day 22 all the same to me since I don't plan to re-introduce anything after day 30.

Moderator I have a feeling the other moderator would disagree. Accidental sugar is still sugar in your system disturbing an effect you are trying to achieve.

Since I've been reading here I restarted on day 7 after tasting a cake made for Passover. Just less than a half teaspoon. I felt if I asked I'd be asked to go back to day 1.

I'm sort of just wondering. Day 1 day 22 all the same to me since I don't plan to re-introduce anything after day 30.

missmary is correct - accidental sugar ingestion does not require a restart.

Intentionally choosing to have a bite of cake, cookie or other sugar/sweetened treat, however, does call for a restart.

Chris it does not make sense. Is it punitive? Intentionally vs. deliberate? Honestly I have no problem restarting like I stated above but this is a punitive system? Like a value judgment?

No, not punitive, nor a value judgment. As the Whole30 is about changing your relationship with food, it's about having 30 consecutive days of  consciously following the rules. Deliberately choosing to eat off-plan on a Whole30 resets the clock, for that reason. It's not a Whole30 anymore when one makes a choice to eat off plan.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not punitive, nor a value judgment. As the Whole30 is about changing your relationship with food, it's about having 30 consecutive days of  consciously following the rules. Deliberately choosing to eat off-plan on a Whole30 resets the clock, for that reason. It's not a Whole30 anymore when one makes a choice to eat off plan.

I'm so glad you posted this! I went to a dinner meeting/gathering last night and ordered a club soda with lime and a bowl of olives, while everyone else ate off the menu and drank alcohol.  I was planning on having dinner when I got home, but still wanted to partake in the social aspect (it was a meeting with friends).  The olives were totally compliant, but the club soda tasted a little funny.  I thought that maybe the lime was a little off, as it was extra juicy.  I didn't finish it, as it was weird, but I probably drank about two ounces.  Anyway, when the bill came TONIC was listed. I'm not a tonic drinker so I had no idea what the ingredients were or what it tasted like.  Let's be honest, I've only had it with gin :D ! When I left I googled it and learned there was sugar.  I basically broke down crying to my boyfriend about how I have to start over.  It was an emotional night. 

I'm not doing this for allergy purposes, but to gain a better relationship with food.  I'm on day 12 today and these past few days have been a challenge, but I'm so determined to make it through. The thought of starting over was crushing.  So, thank you for this post and for clarifying that accidental ingestion like this does not go against the program.

On a related note, they charged me $3 for the tonic, when I ordered club soda, and $8 for a handful of olives.  They will not be getting my business again!  :)

I know it's been answered to everyone's satisfaction already, but another thought struck me as I was reading and thought I'd just put it out there....the cake also contains some kind of grain/flour and maybe glutens (not sure how Passover items are made, so maybe not), so that would be another reason for restart.

Archived