McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

I'm 1 week of 40 :blink: and I'm thinking this just might be normal. Sigh.

It's not normal but it is hard!

Don't give up though.

For me, I've realised that eating whole30 food as much as I want doesn't work re fruit, nuts and coconut. Whole family is carb sensitive or insulin impaired.

What I am doing now logically has to work....

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still a few years off 40 but I keep wanting my body to respond the way it did when I was 25.  That was when I went on my first ever diet and I ate low carb for a month and dropped 8 pounds, getting myself to the skinniest I had ever been.  Looking back I got a little TOO skinny (I was a size 2 at the most), but then I dieted on and off for several years after that and kept my weight in about a 5 pound range that was pretty healthy.  Fast forward to now where I'm married with two kids and in my late 30s and nothing seems to work.  I tried a terrible low carb diet earlier this year that consisted of no fat and barely any vegetables and I lost three pounds in a month but felt terrible so that is when I discovered the Whole 30.  I feel a ton better, no stomach problems at all, and I've been consistently gluten-free and most dairy and legume free for about six months now.  My "vices" are occasional non-gluten grains (white rice and corn on the cob), wine (I love it, I admit it!), and candy/chocolate.  The candy is really only a work problem and it's crazy how much I love it/want it.  So I have my good days and bad days.  The fancy dark chocolate I allow myself in small doses many evenings because it helps "complete" my meal so I don't snack on other bad stuff.  I'm definitely still learning.  The exercise is an issue too.  I was a huge exerciser in the past -- five days a week at the gym, spinning, weight training etc. but with my young kids that is impossible.  So I'm just figuring it out but happy to have my friends in the forum along with me!

So Sunday:

Breakfast;  three eggs w/bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk (out of kale!)

Lunch:  leftover Indian spinach w/rice, apple

Dinner:  grilled steak, roasted broccoli and cauliflower (really wanted chocolate but allowing only one indulgence a day and I already had rice!)

Workout: weights

Monday:

Breakfast:  three eggs w/sundried tomatoes, coffee w/coconut and almond milk 

Lunch:  sweet potato w/coconut butter and almond butter (this was kind of an indulgent lunch!!)

Dinner:  over roasted cod w/tomatoes and olives, large salad

Workout:  none

Hopefully, it helps that you're not alone.  All through my late twenties and early thirties, I could count calories and lose whatever I wanted.  Over the past 5 years, it's gotten harder and harder.  A friend of mine warned me that at 35, everything changes.  Unfortunately, that seems to be true for me.  I have mostly been able to step off the roller coaster with W30 and at least stop the steady scale incline, but I've not been able to get back to where I was.  It's annoying, for sure.  But, based on how many of us there are here, it seems like it's normal.   At least we have each other for support.  I know I'd never whine about my 5-10 lbs in front of my kids.  I don't want them to even think about weight.  And my husband just doesn't see it.  So, I can whine here. :)

Jen, it definitely helps!  

So today was my first day with the make-ahead breakfast.  My hard-boiled eggs and kale were good but I don't have enough tupperware to make a whole week's worth of portions so I'll still be putting it together every night, but that's okay.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/sauteed kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftover baked cod w/tomatoes and olives

Snack:  corn chips w/guacamole

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/meat sauce, large salad

Workout:  none (way too tired_

So this is turning out to be a rough week.  We have all sorts of childcare craziness and I am realizing how stressed/tired I am.  I had zero energy last night to do my weight lifting -- I could hardly cook dinner -- and I also gave into temptation yesterday afternoon and had a few corn chips and guacamole.  I was hungry because my lunch didn't quite fill me up and I was at an event where they were served.  I did, however, manage to avoid the candy dish (and nighttime chocolate) so small victories!  I may give in to a glass of wine soon though . . .  Also, I stupidly got on the scale today and now my weight is up two pounds from the start of my Whole 30.  I'm near my heaviest weight!  Ugh.  I hope it's temporary

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/sauteed kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/meat sauce (chicken sausage and tomato sauce)

Dinner:  broccoli slaw

Well yesterday ended up being even more stressful than I anticipated.  Suffice it to say I ate dinner at 10 pm.  I am both stressed out and exhausted and I can't wait for the weekend.  However, I have managed to avoid any candy or wine!  I can't believe it.  I am meeting friends for drinks tonight so I'll have a glass, but overall it's been good.

Yesterday was an "eat to live" day.  Every meal got delayed, I was starving but I didn't deviate from my planned foods except for dinner, which was extra light because I ate so late.  I just had some broccoli slaw w/dressing. 

Breakfast:  three hb eggs (forgot my kale), sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  broccoli slaw w/pork tenderloin

Dinner:  glass of wine, spaghetti squash w/sauce

Workout:  I'm not going to kid myself, this won't happen

Thanks melbournegirl!  So last night I enjoyed my one glass of wine.  It was great.  And I went to bed early but unfortunately slept horribly.  My kids kept waking up and I had one in the bed with us (it's been a hard week for them too).  So I'm still exhausted, but TGIF!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs (forgot my kale), sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  I couldn't get it together so I'm going out

Dinner:  also not sure

Back after the long weekend!  It was good -- we saw family and friends, got some much-needed rest after the craziness of last week and are ready to get back into the swing of things today!  We went to three BBQs (hosted one) and I certainly didn't eat totally clean.  Think I had potato salad at all three (assuming the mayo contained soybeans as it usually does), chips, and wine.  I made a dessert for our BBQ and decided to have just a taste which threw my stomach off.  I knew wheat was bad for me, but wow, good reminder.  The taste definitely wasn't worth the consequences!  I'm hoping to get back on track with my eating/exercising this week.  I've been thinking my weight loss (or lack thereof) and I really think at this point it's just about too many calories.  I have gotten rid of the bad inflammatory stuff so if I'm not losing I think I'm overeating.  And cutting back on carbs, wine, and chocolate hasn't budged the scale.  I mentioned that maybe I'm being too liberal with my fats so that is something I'm going to be more careful about.  I have to be careful not to return to the starving myself that I used to do (not literally starving but I used to eat VERY small meals).  We'll see. 

Breakfast:  kale sauteed w/Canadian bacon, three hb eggs, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftovers from last night -- chicken sausage, carrot and parsnip puree, broccoli (a little worried this isn't going to be enough food)

Snack:  bean, corn, and avocado salad, chocolate

Dinner:  chicken and vegetables

Workout:  weights

Total backfire on my mission to eat less yesterday.  My lunch was definitely too small (as was my breakfast) and I was at a work event where I had a bean/corn/avocado salad (not terrible but the beans and corn aren't great) AND I ate some fancy chocolate a co-worker brought in.  I recovered at dinner -- ate a Whole 30 dinner and no added wine/chocolate/grains and also worked out, but still.  So today I'm back to my sweet potato because I feel like cutting it just means I will eat more later in the day.  I thought the sauteed kale w/canadian bacon and three eggs would be a sufficient breakfast but I was wrong.

Breakfast:  kale sauteed w/Canadian bacon, three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and veggies, chocolate

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, few bites of pureed parsnips/carrots, large salad, small glass of wine

Also I am seriously not getting enough sleep.  I really need 8 and I'd say I'm averaging 6 or 6 1/2 these days.  I have to wake up earlier for my son's new school but I keep failing to get to bed earlier.  So that is another goal for today!

It's not worth skipping the sweet potato if you are hungry all day. I had that problem yesterday.  I'm working on getting back on schedule.  Because of the time difference, I ate over 2 hours after I woke and slowly adjusted to West Coast time.  Now, I'm paying for it by not being able to fall asleep and then being so tired when I have to wake up.  So, I feel your pain!  We'll all adjust to the new routine.

So I had chocolate and wine yesterday.  I am so stressed out about both work and my son's new school.  I know alcohol and sugar are not the way to deal with stress, but I'm really struggling.  And I had gotten barely any sleep.  Last night was better -- more sleep.  Hoping to avoid temptations today -- particularly the chocolate, which I feel is wholly unnecessary.  I did forget my eggs (ah!) so I don't have enough food at work which probably means I'll need a Lara bar.  Bummed about that, but not sure what else I can do.

Breakfast:  sauteed kale w/canadian bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and veggies, Lara bar

Pre-Dinner snack:  carrots w/baba ganoush, bites of rice

Dinner:  baked chicken breast, large salad, glass of wine

Workout:  none sadly -- work was too crazy for yoga

Take care of yourself.  Get some sleep.  Eat well.  And, give yourself a break.  This change in routine is tough on all of us.  Just do your best to get through it.  Can you run out and get some hb eggs or a can of tuna?  If not, a larabar in an emergency is ok. 

Thanks Jen.  This has definitely been a tough two weeks.  This time of year I'm so busy at work that I really don't have time to leave my desk so there was no chance of getting some hb eggs or tuna unfortunately.  The lack of eggs affected me all day and I had the Lara bar with lunch (I was starving) and then ate some of my son's gluten-free granola bar on the way home.  Then at home everything was crazy and our dinner wasn't ready until 9:45 so I snacked a bit on the rice I made for my husband.  Not going to beat myself up for extra grains as long as they aren't gluten and going to instead focus on the fact that I had no chocolate or other sweets yesterday -- must embrace the positive.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/kale and canadian bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut and almond milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken breast w/rice (I had no time and there were no veggies ready to go in the house)

Dinner:  unsure

Workout:  if I'm not a total wreck I'll try to do weights tonight

Took the weekend and yesterday off from posting -- too much running around and wasn't near a computer.  Weekend went relatively well.  We ordered take-out on Friday night, which has become our new thing.  We usually do Asian since I can't have pizza and I got sushi on Friday.  Then Saturday we went out to dinner and Sunday night we had a potluck to attend.  I did well -- no wheat, no sugar until Sunday night when I had a little chocolate.  A little wine.  Overall, not bad.  I think I haven't been as concerned with not eating the non-gluten grains or having wine since dropping them doesn't make any difference in my weight and they don't bother my stomach.  So I'm coming up with a new plan to allow for them in moderation.  I can have non-gluten grains (but NO chips) twice a week.  I am not going to count fresh corn as a grain since when it's from the farmers market I consider it a vegetable!  And a little wine is going to be fine.  I do want to continue keeping away from the candy/chocolate since that isn't good for me.  I'm also working on smaller portions -- not for breakfast since I seem to need food then but at dinner especially. Last night I had a grilled sausage and salad -- very simple and light!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond and coconut milk

Lunch:  large salad w/grilled sausage, avocado

Dinner:  few bites of gnocchi (no gluten) w/pesto, carrots w/baba ganoush

Workout:  yoga

So I completely forgot that last night was back to school night, which threw off my dinner.  I cooked up some quick gnocchi (the chicken would have taken way too long) and only had a few bites.  It doesn't sit well in my stomach . . . not sure if it's the dairy or just the density.  Anyhow, it was an 'eh' dinner, but I had to do something.  At least I didn't have any chocolate or wine!  

Also, yoga kicked my butt yesterday!  And it wasn't bikram, it was hatha!  How pathetic is that??  But it was great.  My abs and legs are a bit sore today and I LOVE that.  Hoping I can make it once a week (twice would be ideal but so hard with my work schedule).

Forgot to report that I bought some almond milk at the farmer's market this past weekend.  Normally I buy the Silk one without carrageenan but I thought I would check out the real deal.  It was about 4x as much as my Silk one and basically tastes the same.  But I feel like it's better for my body.   :P

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond and coconut milk

Lunch:  pureed carrots and parsnips w/chicken apple sausage, avocado

Dinner:  grilled chicken thighs, broccoli salad, carrots w/baba ganoush

So today was such a disaster.  It was so bad that I have to laugh.  First I forgot about 1/4 of my food.  I forgot the eggs again and my avocado.  I had to leave earlier because I had to take both kids (usually I just have one) so I was moving too quickly.  Also mixed up my kids' lunches.  My older son is going to FREAK OUT when he realizes he has his baby brother's lunch.  But what can you do???

Positives:  

1)  I made it to work on time.

2)  So on-time that I had time to buy hard boiled eggs and a small nut pack at Au Bon Pain

3)  Yesterday I had no non-gluten grains, wine, or chocolate.  AND I worked out.

Breakfast:  two hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond and coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover grilled chicken thighs on a salad, nuts if necessary, I also bought two extra hb eggs

Dinner:  probably spaghetti squash w/meat sauce and a salad

Workout:  probably none, it's another yoga day but work is looking too busy

So proud of myself for avoiding the candy/chocolate and wine this week!  I'm less stressed than last week but AF is here so it is hard to resist.  I also think I've managed to avoid all non-gluten grains except for a few bites of gnocchi on Tuesday night.  Yay me!

So I signed up for a boot camp class on Sunday. TERRIFIED!  I feel like I am probably so out of shape that I will just embarrass myself!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk
Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/kale and artichoke lemon pesto, chocolate (this hurt my stomach!)

Dinner:  Pirate's Booty, a few bites of curried chicken and vegetables and rice

Another crazy weekend and lack of posting.  So this weekend was a reminder of why I need to eat clean.  On Friday night I was starving and munched on the Pirate's Booty my kids were eating (contains rice and corn flour as well as dairy, but not gluten).  Major stomachache.  Also allowed myself some chocolate at work Friday afternoon as a "reward" for a long week and dealing with AF cravings.  Again, major stomachache.  Even the rice noodles I had on Saturday night, which are usually fine caused me a stomachache.  So need to do better.  Those were my only treats/cheats for the weekend and otherwise I did really well.  

Also, I have pink eye (thanks kids!).  So I couldn't go to bootcamp because I have to wear my glasses and can barely see and I can't go to yoga today either.  Such a pain.  Not only do I look/feel bad but I also can't exercise!  I do think I can manage some weights so I just need to get on that.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/tomatoes, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover curried chicken and vegetables

Snack:  few cashews -- apparently my lunch wasn't big enough

Dinner:  we're going to a cocktail party so need to see what they have there and will likely supplement at home

Workout:  weights, if I have time, but party may run too late

Ugh!  Sorry about the pink eye.  My friend does yoga blind because she wears glasses.  I couldn't do it.  I hope it passes fast.

Just a thought - it isn't a treat or reward if it gives you a stomach ache.  Maybe you can reframe it in your head as a punishment! 

Archived