Can I have bacon or sunbutter?

LauraSuzy

I've been confused about the conflicting guidance I've gotten from the forums. I thought bacon with suflites but no sugar was not approved because of the sulfites, but then somebody said it was really the sugar that was the issue, and the sulfites aren't of much concern.

I have not been able to find bacon that has neither sugar nor sulfites! If I want to eat some bacon and have to choose the lesser of two evils, I would think that uncured bacon (no sulfites, but a little sugar - still listed as 0 grams) would be better than sugar-free bacon that has sulfites. So what's the official word on this? No bacon unless it has neither?

Also, what about sunbutter?

Thanks!

Well, I believe that they are nitrates, not sulfites and I am completely unsure of the difference or meaning. All I know is it cannot have sugar in it and the nitrate issue is of personal concern.

Sunbutter is Whole30 compliant, just make sure you get the kind with just sunflower seeds and salt.

Laura's got it right -

If you bacon has nitrates but no sugar, it's fine.

If it has sulfites (which I'm not sure if bacon can, but it wouldn't surprise me) at all it's out. Even if there's no sugar.

Sugar or sulfites are instant disqualifications. Nitrates are a personal choice.

Hope that helps!

Additionally, I'd just like to acknowledge that you WILL find conflicting information about paleo and the Whole30 on the interwebs, even on the Whole9 website. It's unfortunate, but it's inevitable. The Whole30 guidelines have changed over the years. Things that were originally given a pass have now been excluded. Some things that were excluded (bacon, butter), have been allowed back in with stipulations.

Both paleo research and M&D's practical experience in the field have been evolving and we're all realizing that some things are not as innocent as initially thought (carragenan and the scale are two that come to mind). Just do your best to find the most current information and if you need any clarifications, we're here for you!

Archived