Bonus meals...

Steelios

I'm not sure what you mean by "bonus". If you work out, you should be eating a total of 5 "meals" per day, including a small pre-workout of protein and fat, and a larger post-workout of lean protein with optional starchy carb.

• 3 weeks later...

I exercise in the evenings after work 6 to 7 and usually get home at 7:30 when I have dinner.

How does the extra meal work?  I have PWO snack but does that mean I should be intaking more food for recovery some other time?

Guest WholeStanley

bronwyn_q when I have an evening workout from 6-7 I take a tiny tuppaware in my gym bag filled with maybe half a sweet potato and some chicken breast which I eat as soon as I finish my workout, then I take the bus home and prepare my meal 3 (sometimes it's not that big) which after travel and cooking time I usually eat aroung 7:45

if I ever have a late workout, say 8:15-9:15 (not ideal so i try to avoid working out that late) I will have an early lunch (m2), say 12pm, and then an early dinner (m3), say 5pm which is light on starchy veg and heavy on protein and fat. I'll then have a small handful of cashews 20 mins before my workout (7:55pm) and then straight after the small tuppaware of chicken and sweet potato, this also means I'm not too full when I go to sleep.

Just thought I'd share what I do to help give you some ideas of what might work for you - then again I might not be getting it quite right, I'm sure a mod will let us know!

Thanks so much WholeStanley.    :)   It gives me a good idea of what to do.

At the moment I've been eating a hard boiled egg on the way to the gym and then one after on the way home.  Because as you've said dinner isn't till about 7:45 or 8, sometimes 8:30.

(i'm starting the Whole 30 in June for the first time)

At the moment I've been eating a hard boiled egg on the way to the gym and then one after on the way home. 

One egg on the way to the gym works well, but it isn't recommended for post-workout. Post workout you want something high protein but low fat. Some people will do egg whites, but any lean meat such as chicken breast is a fine choice. If you need it, add something starchy like sweet potato, but keep it low-fat (fat slows digestion, and you want that protein digested ASAP).

Guest WholeStanley

Best of luck for your June Whole30 - the fact you've started this questions now to make sure you are prepared makes me think that you'll do great - as my dad always says 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail!' haha

So i started food prepping for the next few days and have organized my post WO meal, which is a few small meat balls and some sweet potato.  But cause i'm a bit of "follow instructions" kind of girl, how much is it?  50g-100g or half a palm worth?

Thank you  :)

So i started food prepping for the next few days and have organized my post WO meal, which is a few small meat balls and some sweet potato.  But cause i'm a bit of "follow instructions" kind of girl, how much is it?  50g-100g or half a palm worth?

Thank you   :)

The meal template is your friend. :)  Post WO calls for meal-sized protein, so that would be a palm's worth.of meat for your protein.

Thanks Chris  :)

sorry i should have been more clear, the protein I know how much of but it's the sweet potato or veggie side of it i'm not sure of.

Because fill your plate is just a little too vague?  Also greens fill your plate more than dense root veggies.  So when it comes to the post workout veggies it's where i'm feeling lost.  not sure what it is too little or too much.

Thanks Chris   :)

sorry i should have been more clear, the protein I know how much of but it's the sweet potato or veggie side of it i'm not sure of.

Because fill your plate is just a little too vague?  Also greens fill your plate more than dense root veggies.  So when it comes to the post workout veggies it's where i'm feeling lost.  not sure what it is too little or too much.

For your main meals, have 1-3 cups of veggies, adjusting as necessary for satiety.

For PostWO, do you have a copy of ISWF? On page 244, there is a carb-curve graph that provides guidance on the amount of carbs to have in your postWO fuel. 

Thanks again Chris.

I've ordered ISWF and waiting for it to arrive anyday now, so I can read it.  Can't wait!

I've flicked through a sample copy at a paleo cafe and was almost going to wait for the book to arrive and have read it before I started Whole30 but I didn't really want to wait  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for explaining this! I was very confused about the whole pre/post workout meals.  How important is it that we eat the post wo protein?  I usually eat lunch 1 hour after working out.  Today is my first day and I had a really hard time eating the post wo 30 min after.  And now I'm not hungry for lunch at all!  Would it be terrible to just eat my lunch 1 hour after and skip the post wo meal?

Archived