Question about Immediate Symptoms

Can a reintroduced food give you immediate symptoms of stomach cramps and diarrhea?  It seems much too soon for the food to have passed through my digestive tract, but I find that I sometimes get painful lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea with 10 to 15 minutes of ingesting a tested food.  When this happens, I am not sure whether to blame the reintroduced food or try to think back to yesterday and wonder if I might be sensitive to a food that is allowed on Whole30 (such as almonds or coconut).

Anyone else experience such an immediate reaction to something they have reintroduced?

I am lactose intolerant, and I can get the runs within 15-20 minutes of ingesting dairy. Similarly, I can get an outbreak of eczema within a few minutes of eating something that flares it up. My reading of ISWF is that some allergens or irritants can actually bypass the long digestive process and immediately sneak into your bloodstream. 

Okay, then.  This was table sugar.  After just a tsp. in a cup of tea, I immediately had burning, watery eyes, followed about 10 minutes later by severe digestive distress.  The sugar dragon was on a rampage!  However, this experience did NOT make me desire more sugar!

I have this sort of violent reaction to anything with flaxseed within 15 minutes. They started putting it in a lot of foods and now they are adding the oil to things too! I run screaming from anything that says it's a source of omega 3's when it shouldn't be!

Okay, then.  This was table sugar.  After just a tsp. in a cup of tea, I immediately had burning, watery eyes, followed about 10 minutes later by severe digestive distress.  The sugar dragon was on a rampage!  However, this experience did NOT make me desire more sugar!

Well lucky you that you got such an undeniable reaction to SUGAR!  I mean, seriously, how many people would more easily slay their dragons if they had this type of reaction?!  

And yes, just wanted to chime in and say that you most certainly can have reactions that quickly.  :)

Archived