Your view on "bad" foods post W30.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Since completing the W30 (60 actually) my view of "bad" foods has gotten worse.  For example, I'm a dessert junkie and one of my favorite "cheat" meals was always going to one of those frozen yogurt places with a toppings bar.  I'd get like a tbsp of yogurt and like a cup of toppings :)  All the good ones too (think Reese's and not fresh sliced strawberries ;) ).  Yesterday I drove past one of those places and just started thinking - oh, I haven't had that in months - I should go.  But then thought - its really just food "product" not food.  Which is how I think of nearly all food not prepared at home these days.  I've really come to look at the "industrialized" food at most restaurants as being almost toxins.  I know I'll puff up and feel moderately crappy after eating them and that I'll like also have some gas and bloating, but nothing that will put me in the ER.  As a consumer I also want the power to speak with my only voice - my dollar - and not support the sale of this kind of food.  And so I choose not to eat at these kinds of places.  But this means social things are a pain.  I'm either the one not eating or I'm eating foods I really don't want to eat.  And all social things are based around food... at least with my family and friends.  The Hartwigs have blogged about when a cheat meal is worth it - usually at some fantastic local restaurant.  My city doesn't really have these choices and my friends aren't going to these places.  They are going to Red Robin and The Cheesecake Factory.  There are a few local places that have good options - local pasture raised meat etc - but they are expensive.  And since all our meat is local and pastured I'm just paying a lot to have someone else do the dishes :)

Anyway, just feeling frustrated and wondering how other people think about and deal with this issue.

I know what you are talking about! 

I used to eat out all. the. time. And not at nice restaurants either-- often at fast food. grooooss.

I went paleo and stopped eating out as much some time ago due to similar feelings. It seems a majority of the food products out there are contaminated with something terrible! It's even hard to feel good about eating Whole30 or paleo without having organic or grass-fed meats. I too am trying to vote with my dollar by not purchasing all the processed junk out there and instead enjoy real food at home OR at a restaurant that actually serves it.

It's hard being around others that don't feel the same... first I get frustrated and just want to scream at them to open their eyes and see the non-food they are shoveling into their mouths and the implications it has (and not only to their own health). Alas, this does not work.

A few things I've tried with friends:

-providing a restaurant suggestion to a place that I know serves real food. People are usually pretty happy to try out someplace new.

-suggest an activity that has nothing to do with food. The other day, instead of meeting for dinner, I took my friends out iceberg hunting, followed by coffee and tea afterwards. They ate their junk at the coffee place, and I could still enjoy my cup of tea! Fun was had by all.

-eating beforehand (or even bringing a small snack, like baby carrots), and just enjoying the time spent with friends instead (without feeling like crap later). Feels a little awkward at first... but at the end of the day, it's for your health. 

-order a small salad, bring your own dressing, and eat more before/after. Less awkward. And I usually try to joke around about me being the "weirdo" bringing my own dressing, to make light of it.

still frustrating sometimes though!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

The worst part about it is that I feel like I'm picked on for eating.real.food.  Like if I went up to them and said "Hey, try this paint I just picked up at Home Depot.  It has a bunch of things in it that I can't pronounce and some of them may be food grade!"  they would think I was bonkers.  But offer them: 

Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate, Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness and Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent

(the ingredients in addition to chicken in a McNugget) and they are totally for it!  Oh well :)

I offer to bring a dish I know I will eat when I go to parties/dinners/ect so I know there will be something or I offer to host. As for restaurants my husband and daughter are gluten intolerant so eating out hardly ever happens anymore and when it does it has to be a place that serves mainly meat and potatoes type meals. Steak, fish, salad with grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken are all decent options and available at a lot of places.

I do look around me at other people and think 'they are killing themselves! they are poisoning themselves!' but I keep that to myself. But when people tell me how great I look I tell them why and about how much energy I have and how I'm eating. I usually get 'oh I would DIE without my sugar (or bread... or wine... or something like that...)

I like ice cream, but like you I have found that I just can't be bothered with the usual soft serve or frozen yogurt anymore. I am also totally not tempted by soda or chips or chewing gum. When I want ice cream I buy the real kind where the ingredients read: cream, sugar, egg, vanilla bean/strawberry/macadamia nuts.

I don't usually feel pressured to eat fast food, but I live in Sweden and fast food is not that popular among my friends. Also, most people I eat with know I have IBD so they know why I eat the way I do. If I have to eat at a fast food place I get a salad, carrots and sparkling water.Then I fill up with more food when I get home. I also try to be proactive and suggest restaurants where I can eat.

Archived